The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need something reasonably priced (couple hundred bucks) that can give me lap times...something between a watch and a datalogger.

·
Premium Member
4,722 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
This is the system I used to use in the Skip Barber car...

Longacre Racing Online -- Online Catalog

You have to set up the transmitter somewhere near start/finish, and the receiver has to be mounted where it can have a line of sight view of the transmitter when you drive past it. It's battery operated and completely portable, but you might have trouble finding a good place to mount the receiver...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Eddie, I know you're looking for something less expensive, but for anyone else browsing this thread, I recommend the Traqmate Complete: TraqmateComplete

"Complete" system (includes logger and display unit) is $999

Selected features:

Since it's GPS-based, you don't need a beacon.

The laptimes are displayed as you cross start finish, and they're within 1/1000ths of a second of the AMB systems that are typically used for official timing.

It integrates perfectly with a ChaseCam, controlling and synchronizing the starting and stopping of video

It's also predictive; i.e. it will tell you during your lap how much faster or slower you are than your best lap

Also includes a G-sensor, a tach input, and expansion capabilities to log 2 more digital and/or 5 more analog inputs

Analysis software is incredible... compare laps, break down the track into arbitrary sectors, calculate HP and torque, etc.

There's much more... i.e. when you're just driving around on the freeway, it can display GPS speed (very accurate), compass heading and time of day...

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Eddie, I know you're looking for something less expensive, but for anyone else browsing this thread, I recommend the Traqmate Complete: TraqmateComplete

"Complete" system (includes logger and display unit) is $999

Selected features:

Since it's GPS-based, you don't need a beacon.

The laptimes are displayed as you cross start finish, and they're within 1/1000ths of a second of the AMB systems that are typically used for official timing.

It integrates perfectly with a ChaseCam, controlling and synchronizing the starting and stopping of video

It's also predictive; i.e. it will tell you during your lap how much faster or slower you are than your best lap

Also includes a G-sensor, a tach input, and expansion capabilities to log 2 more digital and/or 5 more analog inputs

Analysis software is incredible... compare laps, break down the track into arbitrary sectors, calculate HP and torque, etc.

There's much more... i.e. when you're just driving around on the freeway, it can display GPS speed (very accurate), compass heading and time of day...
andy, I agree with you here.
i got sick of my hotlaps timer not hitting all the time.
my blindapex unit, which was a good one, was no longer supported by my scca regional tracks, so its name became true, i was blind to my lap times, as it would work here in AZ w/ the scca.

I loved the stack unit i had in the FF, but it was a pain to set the beacon out, AND remember to get it before i left the track, so i went with GPS.
I will check out ralphs recommendation for reference, but i also just got the traqmate.
its a good system, it does have some limitations in its dtatlogging, but is more than adequite for me.
the lap timer system is excellent on it. the predictive timing is great if you use it,and the fact that it has a qualifying timing mode, or race mode is great. the lap counter is also very good when you remember to add one for the warm up lap.

the gps bases timer is the way to go for sure.
these units also hold their value when sold as used, so they really dont cost the user much at all in the big picture.
I also use mine with the chasecam, and it works beautifully. the video intergarted with the data ia excellent, and easy to work with.
this feature was why i went with the traqmate over others.
good job randy on this integration with traqmate. I recommend your product.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
andy, I agree with you here.
:up:

the lap counter is also very good when you remember to add one for the warm up lap.
If you don't hit the record button until passing S/F on the way out of the pits, you won't have a problem with the lap counter. For tracks where the pit out/paddock is further from S/F, it's no problem at all.

good job randy on this integration with traqmate. I recommend your product.
Absolutely! :clap:

·
Registered
330 Posts
You will quickly out grow a lap timer. Trust me on this one. Buy you stating that you want a lap timer that means you are interested in your performance on track.

The problem with a lap timer is you just don’t know where on the track you are making gains.

I had a lap timer for 1 year then got a DA unit. My times dropped dramatically with the use of a DA over just a lap timer.

I would recommend a GPS based system over a beacon system. Someone always forgets their beacon when they leave the track.

I have used Race pack, Race technologies, Tracqmate and AIM. Currently the best bang for the buck for a lotus is the AIM EVO4 with the Mycron dash. A bit more in price but you are able to hook directly into the ECU and get a bunch of sensors for free. It’s very plug and play. The EVO 4 also has a built in GPS unit. The system is also very expandable for even more sensors in the future.

I would take a long hard look at DA before you go out and purchase just a Lap Timer.

Just my 2 Cents worth.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
We have been doing testing with the iphone as a basis for lap information and just find that the GPS data is not good enough for real use. YMMV. Probably good enough for timing.

The blackberry GPS on the other hand is quite good. Look for more info from us on that in the near future as well some other interesting products for lap timing.

And for the cheapest lap timer.. use your existing video system. It has a clock. And many systems including an on screen clock or timer.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Eddie,
I am selling my traqmate complete.
eddie,
re-read Ralphs post from above, he is dead-on about how fast you will outgrow just a lap timer, and for the few hundred $ more, there are much better values/options.

i got a used traqmate system, and its been very nice.
the lack of needing a beacon, and the predictive timer feature make it nice.

the price that Jim is asking is very fair on this, and it should retain its value if you decided to get something else, and sell the traqmate.

if you were asking me while we were at the track, i would tell you to get out your checkbook and snag this thing from Jim.

Josh

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
eddie,
re-read Ralphs post from above, he is dead-on about how fast you will outgrow just a lap timer, and for the few hundred $ more, there are much better values/options.

i got a used traqmate system, and its been very nice.
the lack of needing a beacon, and the predictive timer feature make it nice.

the price that Jim is asking is very fair on this, and it should retain its value if you decided to get something else, and sell the traqmate.

if you were asking me while we were at the track, i would tell you to get out your checkbook and snag this thing from Jim.

Josh
+1

Support your local LCS President! -poke-

Oh, and as a bonus Eddie, we could compare our laps with the Traqmate software... I think it could be an awesome way to learn more about our driving styles, and our set-ups

·
Premium Member
4,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man you guys are all tempting me!!!

Well, impatiently, I already picked up the AIM lap timer - it will be temporary for sure....I'm just trying to decide on what will be next.
Jim, I'll keep you posted...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts