The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live 2 hours away from the nearest Lotus dealer, and I will be needing brakes pretty soon. Is there anything unusual about replacing the pads on an Elise that would make it risky to have a local competent mechanic do it?

What other things really need a dealers attention to be sure it's done properly?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I live 2 hours away from the nearest Lotus dealer, and I will be needing brakes pretty soon. Is there anything unusual about replacing the pads on an Elise that would make it risky to have a local competent mechanic do it?

What other things really need a dealers attention to be sure it's done properly?
Well..the car needs to be jacked properly. I'd say it's a bad idea to go to your local mechanic and do it yourself with one of the many DIY guides for brakes. Very simple job even for a ham-fisted mechanic like myself.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
If I can do it, anyone can.

rotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl (Warranty items)rotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotflrotfl

YMMV. My Mileage has not been so good.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
if you want the answer to your question, consult the huge amount of reference data available in the archives of ET.

advanced search, titles only
maint* is the search term.

only 50 results, about half of which are unrelated. a survey of these threads, and you'll get an answer more complete than what will be posted in your thread.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
Do it yourself. Brakes are easy. The only real issue with brakes is the rotor. If you have high miles (30K?) or heavy track usage, you need to check the rotors and potentially replace them. Not a big deal, but still a consideration. Changing brake pads is perhaps an hour for all four. Even if it's two hours your first time doing it, so what?

Oil and tranny fluids are also easy. Oil change-biggest time loss is getting the service panel off and back on. No worries, total time is an hour, tops. Tranny fluid is a bit more involved, but still only another 30 minutes if you already have the service panel off. And that really doesn't NEED to be done for a good long time.

Check your suspension nuts and bolts while the car is in the air. If everything is tight, you have basically done what a dealer would do, only you saved a ton of money AND time.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Here's a does or reality from a dealer.......

First, do what you are comfortable with. If your unsure, ask for help from one of your fellow Lotus Enthusiast. If you don't know what you are doing, its nothing to be ashamed of but leave it for someone who won't damage your car.

Lotus understands that for some owners, it simply isn't reasonable to have all owners driving hours and hours away to their closest dealers. The 1,000 mile break in service must be done by a dealer to start your warranty, but after that, as long as you keep detailed records including receipts and proof that manufacturer spec parts/ fluids were used, you will be fine if a warranty claim comes up.

Warranty work must be completed by a dealer.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm four hours away from the closest dealer. When I bought the car I realized that it was impractical to drive or trailer it to Jacksonville or Durham. Then I realized that I could do most of the minor maintenance myself and I found a couple of local exotic car/ british car specialty shops in town that could help with the more complicated items if needed. Once upon a time, I've been told Lotus had far fewer dealerships and it wasn't unheard of for them to let a competent independent shop perform warranty work for those owners far from a dealership. I understand that pratice stopped with the introduction of the federal Elise.

·
Registered
180 Posts
please clarify....

the 1000 mile service must be done by the dealer to start the warranty?

I read through my book and didn't see any mention about that. It may be months before my car hits 1000 miles....

Just wondering.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Brake flush? Not sure how you'd go about cycling the ABS without the lotus-specific tool.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Brake flush? Not sure how you'd go about cycling the ABS without the lotus-specific tool.
After flushing the system including the clutch. You can go out and engage the ABS several times to cycle new fluid into the system, then re bleed, re drive/engage ABS until the fluid is clear. Seems to work if you don't have access to the ABS scan tool. It certainly takes longer but costs no more than the brake fluid.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I recently had the brake pads on my Elise replaced by the dealership I bought it from. They now squeal. BAD. They used the OEM pads, but now I'm trying to get them redone. I wish I went to the Lotus dealership, but the place I got the car from is a high end exotic car dealership, so I figured they'd know what they were doing...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well, I already changed the oil & oil filter, (Mobil 1) and changed the trans oil as well. (synthetic 75W/90 GL4/5)
Had a 4 wheel alignment done too. All around 700 miles.
I can't see what the dealer needs to do on top of that, I already did more than the book calls for.
I hate taking the time to go to a dealer for no reason, they're busy enough.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I recently had the brake pads on my Elise replaced by the dealership I bought it from. They now squeal. BAD. They used the OEM pads, but now I'm trying to get them redone. I wish I went to the Lotus dealership, but the place I got the car from is a high end exotic car dealership, so I figured they'd know what they were doing...
did you bed them ?
New pads often need bedding.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just dropped my car off yesterday for some warranty work and inquired about having an oil change.

$125.00?!?!

No thanks. Even if I buy Royal Purple oil, it will still be less than half that. And since I have access to an indoor shop and a hoist, there's really no reason to not do it myself.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Just dropped my car off yesterday for some warranty work and inquired about having an oil change.

$125.00?!?!

No thanks. Even if I buy Royal Purple oil, it will still be less than half that. And since I have access to an indoor shop and a hoist, there's really no reason to not do it myself.
that's half the going rate.
remember to go over the car with a torque wrench.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts