The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For example, why is Graphite lifestyle, but StormTi and Arctic are just "regular" silvery mettallics?

Is it keyed into how difficult the paint is to source? How difficult it is to get the perfect mix?

Or is this simply a matter of trying to create exclusivity among certain colors, by only offering them for a limited time?

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I would find it very hard to believe that it costs Lotus $600 more to paint a car green instead of red or $1200 more to paint the car orange instead of yellow.
That said, I'm glad they offer CO and the like. So long as there are people willing to pay extra for the lifestyle colors it might leave them enough profit to hold the line on MSRP. I know that the latest increase has me considering dropping down to a standard paint (from a metallic).

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
NMRJock said:
I would find it very hard to believe that it costs Lotus $600 more to paint a car green instead of red or $1200 more to paint the car orange instead of yellow.
That said, I'm glad they offer CO and the like. So long as there are people willing to pay extra for the lifestyle colors it might leave them enough profit to hold the line on MSRP. I know that the latest increase has me considering dropping down to a standard paint (from a metallic).
My suggestion is don't shoot yourself in the foot with this thing. Money comes and money goes...but the paint job will be there forever. There are a number of reasons why a car company charges more for various paints. One is the basic colors are probably bought in larger quantities and pose less problems in applying. For instance....the people at GM have been working with dupont trying to cure orangepeel problems with various colors. They say that it is much more difficult to paint composite that metal. I heard that one of the reasons that Corvette already discontinued the 2005 red (sorry,but I don't remember the name)was because of problems in painting. I think that Lotus is doing an excellent job of painting these more difficult metallics. I would assume that the lifestyle paints cost more (smaller quantities) and may be more difficult to execute. Thus,you pay a premium.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Exotic paints can be very expensive. Plus if there are more coats to get the pearl down right that will require more labor and paint booth time. More prep may go into the body so it shows imperfections less. Like the old black corvettes. The best fiberglass body parts were hand selected to show the least imperfections.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
i know a lot of u wont be happy, but i have noticed a little bit of orange peel on the paint finishes....i may be nit picking, it isnt bad, but its there...
i was slightly disappointed considering its almost a 50k car after tax.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
evomind said:
i know a lot of u wont be happy, but i have noticed a little bit of orange peel on the paint finishes....i may be nit picking, it isnt bad, but its there...
well, you can spend $80,000 on the next M5 and get a lot of orange peel instead :D

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
evomind said:
No that's done on purpose. Makes for better aerodynamics, you see.....it's a no-cost extra....

TADTS

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
For example, why is Graphite lifestyle, but StormTi and Arctic are just "regular" silvery mettallics?

Is it keyed into how difficult the paint is to source? How difficult it is to get the perfect mix?

Or is this simply a matter of trying to create exclusivity among certain colors, by only offering them for a limited time?
When 'CC' was in control at Lotus he was known to visit the nearby pub quite regularly and could 'put them away with the best of them'. Upon going into an unconscious stupor, which occurred on numerous occasions, certain colors appeared in his dreams. All were documented as 'CC's Lifestyle Colors' and they are being integrated 'over time' into the Elise color range. It should be noted that only one of the 'Lifestyle' colors did not appear in 'CC's' dreams and that would be Krypton Green. This color was actually the color of 'CC's' discharge when he 'puked his brains out' during a Royal Coronation taking place in Britain at the time. As far as who scooped the stuff up and saved it, I'm not sure. Randy probably knows, so ask him.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts