The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a search but couldnt find anything:

Is it that the seat has enough clearance behind the head to wear a Hans device comfortably?

Is it true that the stock seats (normal or sports) dont?

If so can someone recomend the following as a direct fit to an Exige S2:

A seat that:

1) Has harness slots (incl) antisub slot
2) Is hans compatable (hans device will not touch at top)
3) Can use existing 3 point harness for road use
4) Is not too high sided so entry and exit isnt made too difficult
5) Fits my 6" tall, 160Ib frame

Ideally Id like to fit in both driver and passanger side

ps. Is padding out lowever part and inclining a stock (non sports) seat a workable idea to get clearance to wear a Hans device?

Cheers
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
According to the Hans Device website (Frequently Asked Questions)

# The HANS Device can be worn in virtually any vehicle (not just cars) that uses two shoulder belts as part of the driver restraint harness.
# Only the HANS Device is available in 4 angles and 5 sizes to match any application. Anecdotal reports indicate the HANS Device offers benefits even when worn under a 3-point OEM style of seatbelt. The user must also be wearing a helmet with HANS Device anchors on it.

·
Registered
304 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
there's a post somewhere on this forum about seat belt harnesses. I posted the han's instructions from their website on there. Or just search their website. has specs and diagrams

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the feedback.

i was thinking more in terms of what it means when seat manufacturers supplies seats that are listed as 'Hans compatable'.

The answer as I have found is most likely just that the headrest is angled back quite a lot more to give room for the Hans top (which hits many seat tops)

After a lot of searching and getting nowhere Im finally halfway towards getting my car sorted with 2 Hans compatable FIA rated seats, the Sparco Revs

Ive installed one of the Sparco rev seats so far next one should be in tomorrow (which doesnt 'fit without mod') as is miss quoted here in several places. You have to take a grinder and cut away over an inch off the front corners to get it in without it fouling the tunnel and side.

That done it fits nicely and looks good. The Rev is also too wide to fit 2 seats in side by side, however with the driver seat infront of the passengers it fits and doesnt look odd with the wings overlapping a little.

Deciced to go with the R3 anyway instead of the Hans as I just feel more comfortable seperating the neck restraint from the harness restraint and it sounds like it may be easier to get in and out wearing the R3.

Ive made up some custom steel seat frames, which with the Revs (and a thinner base seat cushion than standard) gives me more headroom than I had with standard seat which is a real nice benefit.

Another thing I read here in several post which didnt turn out to be true is you can actually still run normal 3 point with the Rev seat, so ill use the 3 point around town and the 6pt for track

cheers

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
According to the Hans Device website (Frequently Asked Questions)

# The HANS Device can be worn in virtually any vehicle (not just cars) that uses two shoulder belts as part of the driver restraint harness.
# Only the HANS Device is available in 4 angles and 5 sizes to match any application. Anecdotal reports indicate the HANS Device offers benefits even when worn under a 3-point OEM style of seatbelt. The user must also be wearing a helmet with HANS Device anchors on it.

Hans does not fit (well) in stock seats or any seat that has little clearance between drivers head and headrest.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
Mike,
I ran a sparco rev seat (initally purchased the rev for the elise, but went a different route with the lotus) in my old spec miata and used the HANS device as well. i never had any issue at all getting in/out without assistance.
I actually couldnt fit into the rev seat w/o removing all of the bottom seat cushion, and i also had to trim up some of the padding on the hip area.

for those reading this i am fairly certain that the sparco rev plus will not fit inot the elise, its wider than the sparco rev. I might be wrong but it worth looking into before buy the rev plus. i was also told that the rev needed to be trimmed near the thigh area to fit the elise.
for those people here in the states, kirt wrightman at hypersports, is the guy to talk to. he even has seat brackets already made up for the rev/elise.
i dont have his contact info anymore, but i think cory1000 does as he is getting work on his car there from what i have read.:)up:smart man cory!!!!!!)
maybe he can post up that info if he has it.

Drmike,
i am glad to see you are doing a proper install of your safety gear.

sure beats that "other" solution that one of the vendors is peddling for harness installs in the stock seat.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
They dont stock the bracket anymore for the seat but can make them for just about any seat. Most seats are going to require trimming anyway. I am paying right around $300 for them to custom fit my seat in my car. I think that is a great price.

Only reason that they might not have to trim mine (Sparco Circuit Pro) is because my entire interior has been removed from the car and the shifter is being moved over to the right a few inches. This also means that I cant fit passenger seat in anymore, which is what I wanted anyway.

Fish - Thanks, they are also doing a full roll cage and a bunch of other things!

Kirt can be reached at 678-714-5346. I would highly recommend them after going to their shop and seeing the kind of work that they do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Mike,
I ran a sparco rev seat (initally purchased the rev for the elise, but went a different route with the lotus) in my old spec miata and used the HANS device as well. i never had any issue at all getting in/out without assistance.
I actually couldnt fit into the rev seat w/o removing all of the bottom seat cushion, and i also had to trim up some of the padding on the hip area.
Im a 32 inch waist, and Im a very snug fit. I dont think it would be at all comfortable for someone with a wider waist. I toyed with the idea removing some of the foam around waist area to ease the bit of thigh pressure but turns out that I got used to it (wasnt used to sitting in high sided sports seats) and now its a non issue for my skinny ass.

for those reading this i am fairly certain that the sparco rev plus will not fit inot the elise, its wider than the sparco rev. I might be wrong but it worth looking into before buy the rev plus.
thats correct.
i was also told that the rev needed to be trimmed near the thigh area to fit the elise.
nope needs to be trimmed only around the front corners to fit the car but like i said if your wider than a 32 inch waist its likley going to be too small.

for those people here in the states, kirt wrightman at hypersports, is the guy to talk to. he even has seat brackets already made up for the rev/elise.
i dont have his contact info anymore, but i think cory1000 does as he is getting work on his car there from what i have read.:)up:smart man cory!!!!!!)
maybe he can post up that info if he has it.

Finished the frames and install today complete with dual 3 point and 4 point harness locations (on the frame). The frames cost me 15 USD in materials but a whole day to make.

Drmike,
i am glad to see you are doing a proper install of your safety gear.
although very very new to this sport i do have a background in a very high risk sport so take safety seriously. Safety first - gear and practices, the rest will follow

Re: Original question about what makes a seat 'Hans compatable' as listed by the mnf Im wondering if having taller shoulder harness holes (to account for added harness height with hans, could be one of the things they spec.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts