The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen it come up here in various threads and it did this afternoon as I was driving around town with my 16-year-old son. We talked at length.

What makes a car an exotic? Is it the appearance? Price? What's under the hood? It not being a daily driver? The exclusivity factor? A combination of things?

I think of the Evora as an exotic even though it costs much less than a 991, which is generally not considered one.

Just curious what you think goes most into defining what is an exotic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
“Any car that the factory built to be unique, fast or purposely built to stand out from the roads full of the ordinary”. - ECR

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Got to be low volume for me to consider it exotic.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
this link sort of works for me

Exotic Cars 101: What is an 'Exotic Car' (by definition)? - National Exotic Car | Examiner.com

1) LIMITED PRODUCTION Limited production model designed for ownership by less than 1% of the world auto owners market ; cars that may have originally been built in limited number but have increased in popularity and are now produced for a larger audience may fall under different rubrics for mass produced models; cars may or may not appreciate over time based on factors or care, condition, and mileage; cars may or may not have noted chassis numbers (with notation and and original documentation of all records and service history records always preferred)
2) PERSONALIZATION Hand built or created in an unusual way; story of creation typically includes personal history of individuals or design teams; classic street rods or muscle cars are most often excluded
3) May or may not incorporate new or unusual materials or engine components with unusual design; after market custom work on any mass produced model may create cars that are exotic in appearance but not exotic by definition
4) Not intended to appeal to a general population or large potential buyers market audience except to improve prestige and increase demand by crafting a sensational image using advertising and media marketing services (grass roots marketing campaigns included)
5) May require a specialty automobile dealer to procure or resell unless traded in the private market; if traded by a common automobile dealership, the sales force may have to go to outside sources to provide expert opinion consultations on the correct marketing of the specialty product [such as for setting comparable price value and to learn about performance and handling issues to relay to clients]
6) SCARCITY Any car sold in a boutique automobile sales environment; if less than 8,000 - 10,000 cars per year [of the entire brand all models included] are made, the car may be considered exotic in addition to any other category rubric; however, cars may be judged more or less exotic cased on appearance and notoriety; NOTE 1: sales of cars to any general public is not required (cars created simply for the sole purpose of bringing a car form idea into existence are eligible); NOTE 2: cars that were once mass produced but now are so rare there are essentially nearing extinction and are in pristine or restoration-worthy condition are frequently traded by exotic car dealers or sold at exotic or classic car auctions as investment grade automobiles -- a dealer and insurance appraisal consensus should make the determination of the car's history to help define it's academic classification at time of sale
7) Cars that require specialty tools and equipment to repair cars; both car and service equipment can be considered rare and may not be available from common auto industry resources; cars that typically require unique designations or appraisals by insurance companies for the purpose of valuation; master mechanics and technicians who work on these cars are almost as difficult to find as the automobiles (and are equally as valuable)
8) May or may not have competed in a race environment; many exotic car models may be designed for speed and driving pleasure (maneuverability, braking, acceleration) rather than for track environments; carbon fuel based racing engine or high speed performance in personal vehicles may or may not be an element considered for mid to late 21st century models -- as global cultures shift transportation priorities
9) Has extensive design elements influenced by predecessor models that are or were considered exotic automobiles; use caution to indicate cars have exotic elements rather than identifying them as exotic cars themselves (as all models must justifiably measure up to other aforementioned criteria)
10) EXOTIC IN CONTEXT Appears strange and unusual in concept or design; may or may not include unusual functions (speed, task or newly defined multipurpose transportation, aesthetic value); cars that are made as concept cars or new methods of transportation that cover ground distance are eligible -- with subsequent mass produced copies excluded; cars that are considered exotic looking during one time period or era may not be considered exotic later; cars that are considered exotic in one geographic location may be considered exotic when out of their element; NOTE: be sure to clarify time period, genre, place, et cetera in any discussion to help qualify in what context the car has appeared as unusual, surprising, or distinct

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Why are strippers called 'exotic' dancers? There's nothing exotic about wearing clear pumps and working a pole to Pour Some Sugar On Me

Oops. Wrong thread

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Why are strippers called 'exotic' dancers? There's nothing exotic about wearing clear pumps and working a pole to Pour Some Sugar On Me

Oops. Wrong thread
Because strippers are out numbered by the ballerinas and HIP HOP dancers.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
I think the Evora falls under the title exotic considering the low volume, Lotus marque (I won't consider a ZR-1 an exotic), low volume production, etc. However, I won't consider it a "super car" by even though it has the super car looks.

·
Disciple of Chapman
1,620 Posts
I think the Evora falls under the title exotic considering the low volume, Lotus marque (I won't consider a ZR-1 an exotic), low volume production, etc. However, I won't consider it a "super car" by even though it has the super car looks.
Don't forget "supercar" handling and brakes too, but yes I agree Exotic not full on supercar.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
this link sort of works for me

Exotic Cars 101: What is an 'Exotic Car' (by definition)? - National Exotic Car | Examiner.com

1) LIMITED PRODUCTION Limited production model designed for ownership by less than 1% of the world auto owners market ; cars that may have originally been built in limited number but have increased in popularity and are now produced for a larger audience may fall under different rubrics for mass produced models; cars may or may not appreciate over time based on factors or care, condition, and mileage; cars may or may not have noted chassis numbers (with notation and and original documentation of all records and service history records always preferred)
2) PERSONALIZATION Hand built or created in an unusual way; story of creation typically includes personal history of individuals or design teams; classic street rods or muscle cars are most often excluded
3) May or may not incorporate new or unusual materials or engine components with unusual design; after market custom work on any mass produced model may create cars that are exotic in appearance but not exotic by definition
4) Not intended to appeal to a general population or large potential buyers market audience except to improve prestige and increase demand by crafting a sensational image using advertising and media marketing services (grass roots marketing campaigns included)
5) May require a specialty automobile dealer to procure or resell unless traded in the private market; if traded by a common automobile dealership, the sales force may have to go to outside sources to provide expert opinion consultations on the correct marketing of the specialty product [such as for setting comparable price value and to learn about performance and handling issues to relay to clients]
6) SCARCITY Any car sold in a boutique automobile sales environment; if less than 8,000 - 10,000 cars per year [of the entire brand all models included] are made, the car may be considered exotic in addition to any other category rubric; however, cars may be judged more or less exotic cased on appearance and notoriety; NOTE 1: sales of cars to any general public is not required (cars created simply for the sole purpose of bringing a car form idea into existence are eligible); NOTE 2: cars that were once mass produced but now are so rare there are essentially nearing extinction and are in pristine or restoration-worthy condition are frequently traded by exotic car dealers or sold at exotic or classic car auctions as investment grade automobiles -- a dealer and insurance appraisal consensus should make the determination of the car's history to help define it's academic classification at time of sale
7) Cars that require specialty tools and equipment to repair cars; both car and service equipment can be considered rare and may not be available from common auto industry resources; cars that typically require unique designations or appraisals by insurance companies for the purpose of valuation; master mechanics and technicians who work on these cars are almost as difficult to find as the automobiles (and are equally as valuable)
8) May or may not have competed in a race environment; many exotic car models may be designed for speed and driving pleasure (maneuverability, braking, acceleration) rather than for track environments; carbon fuel based racing engine or high speed performance in personal vehicles may or may not be an element considered for mid to late 21st century models -- as global cultures shift transportation priorities
9) Has extensive design elements influenced by predecessor models that are or were considered exotic automobiles; use caution to indicate cars have exotic elements rather than identifying them as exotic cars themselves (as all models must justifiably measure up to other aforementioned criteria)
10) EXOTIC IN CONTEXT Appears strange and unusual in concept or design; may or may not include unusual functions (speed, task or newly defined multipurpose transportation, aesthetic value); cars that are made as concept cars or new methods of transportation that cover ground distance are eligible -- with subsequent mass produced copies excluded; cars that are considered exotic looking during one time period or era may not be considered exotic later; cars that are considered exotic in one geographic location may be considered exotic when out of their element; NOTE: be sure to clarify time period, genre, place, et cetera in any discussion to help qualify in what context the car has appeared as unusual, surprising, or distinct
I'd say the Evora fits all of those.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Limited Production-ck
Personalization -ck
Unusual build (3 piece frame)- ck
Special buyer group ck
resale ck (often true)
scarcity - ck definitely
service is special - ck
race environment - ck definitely
lightweight monocoque - ck definitely
exotic design -ck (if people mistake it for a Ferrari its definitely exotic)

Of course its an exotic. Notice exotic has nothing to do with affordability.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Another 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' discussions...it's all a matter of perspective.

I personally never liked the styling of the Evora at all. To me it's not exotic, it actually resembles a liver fluke in some ways. Ok, so it has a unique frame, but an absolutely pedestrian engine. Shoddy build compared to its peer group.

Interesting car, but in my opinion not an exotic.

The Elige is very much a niche car, but again, to me not an exotic.

And it is all a matter of perspective. A German friend visited a few years ago and went ape when he saw Corvettes. He'd only seen them online and in magazines, and it was his dream car. To him, it was an exotic.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
forsale, I think you made your decision on like/dislike. That is not part of definition at all.
Type of engine has nothing to do with it either.
Delorean buld quality sucked but it was definitely considered an exotic for example. I don't give a sh!! if it is or isn't, I just pointing out that based on Doug Pepper's criteria he found somewhere Evora answers all the questions.

BTW build quality is vastly superior to any of your other Lotus cars and you know it. For all of the complaints, build quality is just as good as any other mass market vehicles in its price segment including anything American or Asian I've seen. Your definition comments suggest none of your cars were remotely exotic! and we both know that not true, all your Lotus vehicles were VERY special and most would consider them exotics in their era.

Drive an Evora and you'll see just how exotic the handling really is!

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
forsale, I think you made your decision on like/dislike. That is not part of definition at all.
Type of engine has nothing to do with it either.
Delorean buld quality sucked but it was definitely considered an exotic for example. I don't give a sh!! if it is or isn't, I just pointing out that based on Doug Pepper's criteria he found somewhere Evora answers all the questions.

BTW build quality is vastly superior to any of your other Lotus cars and you know it. For all of the complaints, build quality is just as good as any other mass market vehicles in its price segment including anything American or Asian I've seen. Your definition comments suggest none of your cars were remotely exotic! and we both know that not true, all your Lotus vehicles were VERY special and most would consider them exotics in their era.

Drive an Evora and you'll see just how exotic the handling really is!
Well, since there is no true definition that everyone agrees on relative to what an exotic car is, everyone is making their decision based on like/dislike, arent' they?

Exclusivity: Try to find a Pinto or Yugo on the road these days. Better yet: do you think a Solstice GXP COUPE is exotic? It's shape and styling would qualify, and at a total of 1150 built, check the exclusivity box. It handles very well, not as good as a modern Lotus, but as good or better than sports cars three times its price.
Build quality: So it's built better than OTHER Lotus cars. What does how it compares to other Lotus cars have to do with one's exotic car status?

My other Lotus cars exotic, even in the context of their era? The Esprit possibly, but none of the others, admittedly that is my opinion.

I've driven an Evora, a couple actually. Great handling car. But overall, just not an exotic to me.

·
Illegal Alien
5,258 Posts
Build quality is not a criteria of exotic. Only in recent history is that of Ferrari and Lamborgini worthy of the price.

·
Premium Member
6,981 Posts
Well, since there is no true definition that everyone agrees on relative to what an exotic car is, everyone is making their decision based on like/dislike, arent' they?

Disagree Like or dislike has NOTHING TO DO with defining an exotic.
Example I hate the Lexus ?FLA but it sure as hell is an exotic!!
Thanks Julian many exotics have shi!!ty build quality but are still considered exotic.

Production numbers alone do not qualify a vehicle. Please tell me you looked at all 10 criteria before you made you Solstice comments! I am not questioning your intelligence here, or am I?? (kinda like those sprint texting ads)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts