The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many have recently debated political candidates, political parties, etc. until they are frothing at the mouth. Politicians aside – what issues matter to you? I’d like to hear what makes some of you tick… or explode.

Myself:
The Iraq war – I believe it will be 20 years before any of us will ever know if this mess was worth it.

Taxes – Hate ‘em, but realize some are necessary for government essentials (roads, public safety, defense). I don’t believe in punitive taxing of success. I also believe families are better at deciding how to spend their money than the government.

Gay Marriage – This is a religious matter - none of the government’s business. Neither is Straight Marriage for that matter.

Public Health Care – Health care is expensive no matter how you prepare it. Socialization is not the answer – just a different problem.

Welfare – I believe in significant limits and mandatory drug testing.

Unemployment – Should not exist. I believe an able-bodied person should work for what they get. If you receive an “unemployment check” you should be required to do something to earn it.

Unions – I believe in the right to work. If someone wants to be in a union, fine. But the same applies to someone that doesn’t want to join.

Abortion – Unfortunate that anyone would end up in a position to make such a decision. If you must, do it VERY early – it is a human after all. 2nd and 3rd trimester should not be allowed (with few exceptions).

Drugs – I question the prohibition on some drugs (marijuana). I don’t care is someone gets high in the privacy of their home. When it effects others, I have a problem.

Firearms – I believe the second amendment gives the individual the right to bear arms. I have no problem with a law abiding person owning an “assault” rifle or handgun.

Education – Need to eliminate the teacher’s union monopoly and give choice back to parents.

Environment – I believe in conservation. ‘Global Warming’ as many have proclaimed is BS. It is naive to believe that humans play a major role in the temperature of the planet – or that we can significantly change it.

Death Penalty – Killing criminals is a good thing, but don’t like the idea of the government having the authority to kill its citizens.

Regulations – Generally some required but don’t agree with the current ‘nanny state’ philosophy many have adopted.

Immigration – Do it legally or not at all.

‘Waterboarding’ – OK in VERY limited circumstances.

Credit Crisis – Let the chips fall (on BOTH sides)

Religion – Morals are good but ‘religion’ per se shouldn’t be endorsed by government. That said, if someone at the post office wants to wear a cross, hijab, or say “Happy Hanukah” that is fine.

Summary: I general believe in smaller government and a leave me the f^@& alone policy :D

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
Wow. You and I share VERY similar political views. I used to have an '02 Explorer too...

Q

·
0 Posts
I'm with you.

Unions - I think they are antiquated. They were formed to protect workers at a time when there were no laws to do so. Those laws are in place now, and unions only serve to damage the profitability of the company the unions work for. (i.e., this is the primary reason why most American manufacturers cannot remain competitive in the global economy... the unions are crippling them).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Hate saying this, but what are the pros/cons with the teachers union?

Q

·
0 Posts
On Education - we dont' pay our teachers enough nor do we fund our schools nearly enough to handle the increased load of the current school population. Yes, a major problem exists and starts at the homefront, but we're not paying these educators enough to put up with this current generation of under-parented children, nor are we investing enough in quality educational facilities and programs.

Personally, I think teachers and educators get the shaft from the federal government, and many state governments.

Same goes for the police and firefighters.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
Many have recently debated political candidates, political parties, etc. until they are frothing at the mouth. Politicians aside – what issues matter to you? I’d like to hear what makes some of you tick… or explode.
Not much for me to argue with there (maybe a quibble or two but :up:).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would like to see MORE standardized tests and start with them younger. If you can pass the exam, you can go onto the next grade. Many of my work and all of my professional development (CPA, CIA, etc) seems to involve a multiple choice test. Why not expose children to what they will see in real life?

In addition, you should be allowed to pass high school without taking a basic finance class. If you dont understand credit card debt and basic financing like compounding interest and balancing a check book...you are doomed.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I would like to see MORE standardized tests and start with them younger. If you can pass the exam, you can go onto the next grade. Many of my work and all of my professional development (CPA, CIA, etc) seems to involve a multiple choice test. Why not expose children to what they will see in real life?

In addition, you should be allowed to pass high school without taking a basic finance class. If you dont understand credit card debt and basic financing like compounding interest and balancing a check book...you are doomed.
You mean "you should not be allowed to pass high school without taking a basic finance class", right?

I've worked in finance for the last 18 years... unfortunately one of the goals of the various institutions that offer credit (banks, credit card companies, mortgage brokers, etc.) is to make understanding the true terms of a loan very difficult. A while ago, good friends of mine were contemplating a mortgage refi... I traded mortgages for years, and it still took me two complete readings of the mortgage terms to make sure I understood the (misleading) terms of the loan. I'm really not sure how you solve this problem, but a course in basic finance can't hurt.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Drugs – I question the prohibition on some drugs (marijuana). I don’t care is someone gets high in the privacy of their home. When it effects others, I have a problem.
Legalize and tax it AND with the added bonus of NOT paying taxes to keep someone in jail who is there on a petty drug charge :panic:

I have heard mention it costs $100,000 to incarcerate a person for 1 year. That is an astounding amount of scratch for taxpayers to front because someone was caught with a few doobs.

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
I think you have formed too many definite opinions. You have set yourself up to be unhappy and disgruntled. If you aren't careful, soon you're going to look and sound as old as that doggie in your window. :)

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Campaign finance.

It should be 100% covered by public funds for all public offices. It's cheap insurance for an unbeholden political system.

Every issue in post #1 is bound to fall in favor of the special interest group that stands to lose/gain the most AND has the most $ to get its way. The individuals' opinion don't count for much in the end, even if it is important to voice our opinions. Just watch which way health insurance reform goes and who actually benefits (if it goes anywhere.)

·
Registered
705 Posts
I vote Phoneboy for president. What are we going to call our party?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
People should mind their own business. Unless someone is stealing your **** or putting your life in danger it's really none of your business.

Overly simplified I know, but I think it would to lead to a lot more people being happier.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I vote Phoneboy for president. What are we going to call our party?
I'd never get elected - Too many skeletons in my closet :D

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Myself:

Summary: I general believe in smaller government and a leave me the f^@& alone policy :D
+1

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
In general, smaller government.

I don't need them to "educate me" or "encourage me through taxation or other policies" on what I eat, where I live, who I sleep with, if I decide to smoke a cigar, if I want to donate 1/3 of my income to the poor, if my kids are allowed to play dodgeball (it's a victimization game, you know), how I pay my doctor, how large or small my car is, if I want to pay a hot young female to polish my knob or virtually anything else in my life. Protect me from attackers inside and outside the country, build roads and enforce laws designed to protect us from each other. That's it.

Sorry Larry, don't yell at me.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The Iraq war – i believe if we were not in iraq, wed be in some other county fighting some other war. that some other place might be worse.

Taxes – there a must, i get it. just wish for smaller government and back to basic with what we need government to be financially responsible. (the abolishment of welfare! please)

Gay Marriage – This is a religious matter - none of the government’s business. Neither is Straight Marriage for that matter. SAME FEELING

Public Health Care – should not exist in this free market country

Welfare – a simple black line through it on the budget.

unemployment – well it happens, though people need to swallow pride and be will to do what ever you must to get by.

Unions – I believe in the right to work. If someone wants to be in a union, fine. But the same applies to someone that doesn’t want to join. SAME

Abortion – if you weren't prepared to have a baby, or not will to go full term and put it up for adoption, then you should not be having sex. let alone sex with out controls.

Drugs – if some one wants to kill them selves, let them. but tax the hell out of them before they do

Firearms – if everyone had them, and were willing to use them, i believe there'd be much less crime!

Education – we should eliminate free schooling, and if you want your kids educated, you should have to pay for it. maybe then parents would care a bit more, producing much better results.

Environment – common sense needs to be used.

Death Penalty – if one is found guilty, kill him mins after sentencing. not 25 years after.

Regulations - to keep general order, ok.

Immigration – Do it legally or not at all. 100% agree

‘Waterboarding’ – yes

Credit Crisis – if you lived within your means youd be ok..tough life lesson

Religion – no place in government

Summary: much smaller government! and political correctness needs to be moved away from. wed all be better off

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
In general, smaller government.

I don't need them to "educate me" or "encourage me through taxation or other policies" on what I eat, where I live, who I sleep with, if I decide to smoke a cigar, if I want to donate 1/3 of my income to the poor, if my kids are allowed to play dodgeball (it's a victimization game, you know), how I pay my doctor, how large or small my car is, if I want to pay a hot young female to polish my knob or virtually anything else in my life. Protect me from attackers inside and outside the country, build roads and enforce laws designed to protect us from each other. That's it.

Sorry Larry, don't yell at me.
yeah id like to see that too.
but that will never happen. too many power mongers to feed, too many favors, and way too much BULL**** convincing us that the way to solve problems is by throwing more money at them.
im so disillusioned by the political climate and structure. it disgusts me.

·
Registered
6,037 Posts
yeah id like to see that too.
but that will never happen. too many power mongers to feed, too many favors, and way too much BULL**** convincing us that the way to solve problems is by throwing more money at them.
im so disillusioned by the political climate and structure. it disgusts me.
Can you tell this was the last book I read.:D

Attachments

1 - 20 of 74 Posts