The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a penchant for Ducati for quite some time. Sport bikes are new to me. I've had a Harley Road King Custom and a Ural for a while now, but I find the idea of moving into this new area has much appeal for me.

I know there are quite a few Ducati enthusiasts here and because we are all Lotus people, I figured this would be a good place to come for a little advice.

What model would you suggest to be a good bike for me to start with?

I am used to speed and handling, etc., but I do not know what to expect when moving up to a sport bike.

I've never been the type of person to buy the cheapest or lowest model of the brand unless it is completely suitable for me to do so.

Obviously, I'm not considering one of their top of the line models, but generally, cost is not a huge issue. My ability to handle and use the bike to its potential is though.

Please don't say, "buy a Honda or a whatever first and see if you like sport bikes". It's not my style. Headfirst and dive in is my way.

Any suggestions on what the most appropriate model might be for me?
Kev

·
Registered
4,451 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
I would suggest any of their Monsters. The 695 may be too small for you, so the S2R or the S4R.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Please don't say, "buy a Honda or a whatever first and see if you like sport bikes". It's not my style. Headfirst and dive in is my way....
BTW, there's absolutely nothing wrong with Hondas or Yamahas. You can ask Mr. Hayden or Mr. Rossi about them, that is if you can see them behind their trophies. rotfl

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Well we've got a one in four chance if we're sticking to pure sportbikes.... (yeah I consider the Monster a sportbike, even though it doesn't have clipons).

Monster/848/1098/RR

(Really a one in three chance since he doesn't want to buy a Desmosedici RR--and probably not a 1098 R either)

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
Yes, 848 is a better sportbike, but I think since he is coming from cruisers, one of the Monsters would be a better choice. The 848 and 1098 have a much more aggresive seating position and are more aggressive bikes. If the Monsters aren't sportbike enough for him, then I guess get an 848. I'm not a fan of people who go buy 1098's as their first sportbike. But, you do ride motorcycles, so you aren't a total noob.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
Yes, 848 is a better sportbike, but I think since he is coming from cruisers, one of the Monsters would be a better choice. The 848 and 1098 have a much more aggresive seating position and are more aggressive bikes. If the Monsters aren't sportbike enough for him, then I guess get an 848. I'm not a fan of people who go buy 1098's as their first sportbike. But, you do ride motorcycles, so you aren't a total noob.
^^^ He is a sportbike n00b though :p we'll see soon enough I suppose :)

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
If you already ride bikes and you just know you want Ducati but no idea what model. It sounds like you want it for the name- so I'd go with whatever says Ducati the biggest down the side of it. ;)

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
You are funny SweetDaddyD, but maybe you are right! :p

I was also going to say that many dealerships have demo days or demo bikes. Inquire.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
Yeah, most Ducati dealers have demo bikes that you can ride to see for sure what you like.

Given the Harley and Ural background, you might like one of the Sport Classics. You also might like the Hypermotard for a change of pace without going full-on sport bike. Failing that, the 848 would give you the full Ducati experience.

·
Super Moderator
6,819 Posts
If you already ride bikes and you just know you want Ducati but no idea what model. It sounds like you want it for the name- so I'd go with whatever says Ducati the biggest down the side of it. ;)
I don't think that is a fair assumption. He's obviously into the intricacies of particular bikes (you'd have to to have a Ural) and could just know that he's liked qualities of certain Ducati's that he has seen over the years and think that he'd like to try out the Ducati experience. It's no different from someone knowing that Lotus is all about performance through light weight and wanting to try one out for a while, even if they don't know the specific model.

He could certainly be purely a poseur, but I didn't get that from him.

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
^^^ Buy this man a beer! rotfl rotfl rotfl

·
Registered
41 Posts
Having owned a Monster 695, S2R, and a 749 sportbike (all simultaneously), unless you actually plan to track your motorcycle, go with the Monster. I greatly preferred the Monsters to the 749, and I was in my mid 20's at the time. The 749 is just too uncomfortable to really enjoy, and I'm betting that the 848 isn't going to be much better as far as ergonomics. The Monsters were also more "flickable", and had more torque on tap, which makes riding them much more fun on the street. Oh, and the Monsters also weigh less because I had the air-cooled models without all that fancy water cooling stuff. ;)

As far as speed, ANY motorcycle is fast enough for street and canyon use, so trust me when I say go for something that's at least ~relatively~ comfortable. I'd say, Monster S2R, or a S4RS if you really want the extra power. Don't forget the Termignoni, it's the most important part of the experience. :nanner2:

Good luck. Hopefully I'll get another Ducati sometime soon, after my debts are all paid off. :(

Chris

·
Registered
4,451 Posts
And Kevin, please do take the Motorcycle Personality test, I'm dying to see what it suggests for you.

I'm thinking Aprilia RSV Mille or "any 600ccc sportbike".

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
A word of caution against the hypersport engined Monsters. They come with 916/996 like levels of maintenance. I think that a great monster to own would be a late 90s 900cc engine. The workhorse engine that was also in the 900SS. They are also fairly inexpensive at this point and really nice naked bikes.

·
Registered
382 Posts
My Uncle got a Desmosedici RR OMG that thing is beautiful!!! It sounds more like a muscle car than it does a bike! you could probably pick up a 999R used pretty cheap if u wanted a crazy bike but don't think that's a good starter bike.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts