The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to what mods people think made there car faster on track and why...

Here is what I have done that I think actually makes the car faster on track:

1. Drop weight (car is 100+ lbs lighter than stock). This helps in acceleration, Braking & Handling.

2. Wider tires front and rear. I'm currently running the 225/45/15 & 245/45/16. I believe this has picked up the most amount of time for me. The added grip makes you faster around every corner and also helps out on braking. This is a very noticeable difference. Im currently using RA1's as they last longer, but Ive run R888's as well. R888's seem to be a better tire, but as often as Im at the track I choose the longer lasting RA1's.

3. Nitron Sport Pro coilovers. I wouldn't say that this is a HUGE difference, but it is noticeable. Mostly the reduced body roll from the stiffer spring rates.

4. Alignment & Corner Balance. This was done at the same time as the suspension. Definitely improved front grip due to the added negative camber.

5. Shaved control arms to increase negative camber. Ive not driven on track with the added negative camber, but I do expect more front grip which should result in faster lap times.

I do have the gotham tune which is great on the street, but on track the car is heat soaked and does not really provide any more power than stock. Not knocking the tune because it is great. Lotus just designed a poor intercooler for the Exige S.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
HPDE

·
Registered
336 Posts
I bought a 2-Eleven:clap:

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
the mods arent making you faster, they are making the car capable of going faster.
if YOU want to be faster, hire an instructor, or get a datalogger, and spend $ on seat time, then YOU will be faster in any car you drive on the track.

Mods stay with the car, learning experience for a driver stays with the driver in any car he drives.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Chrome Orange Paint.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
hrmm...gear wise unrelated to talent, my Sparco seat is tied with getting rid of the stock suspension as the best things to give me confidence in the car. Other than that, Craig Stanton has been amazing as an instructor-

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the mods arent making you faster, they are making the car capable of going faster.
if YOU want to be faster, hire an instructor, or get a datalogger, and spend $ on seat time, then YOU will be faster in any car you drive on the track.

Mods stay with the car, learning experience for a driver stays with the driver in any car he drives.
Ive spent around 50 days on track over the last 12 months and have hired a professional driving coach. I also have a data logger (Traqmate) and have a chasecam as well.

I still have plenty of room for improvement, but I'm quite fast as it is. Also modding my car does not stop me from going to the track. Im just interested in seeing which mods actually make you faster (or your car more capable) on track.

Forgot to list one thing that made me faster on track and that was harnesses. Not having to fight to stay in the proper seating position helps make you more comfortable & relaxed while driving.

·
Registered
156 Posts
1. The Driver (Let's face it, we may never be as fast as the car's we drive).
2. Shifter Kart Racing (Not a mod to the car but helps me train to drive faster)
3. Driving Instruction (also not a mod to the car)
4. CG Lock
5. Hoosier Racing Tires (they should get to my house soon!)
6. HPDE Events
7. Car Alignment
8. Wheel 2 Wheel Racing (better driver's then you will find at HPDE events. I get to find out how fast I really am.)

·
Registered
3,314 Posts
turtle shells, banana peels and invincible stars

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
. Wheel 2 Wheel Racing (better driver's then you will find at HPDE events. I get to find out how fast I really am.)
this is the truth no doubt.
BTW, HL, i want your stohr F1000, those MC engined formula cars absolutuely fly.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
1. The Driver (Let's face it, we may never be as fast as the car's we drive).
2. Shifter Kart Racing (Not a mod to the car but helps me train to drive faster)
3. Driving Instruction (also not a mod to the car)
4. CG Lock
5. Hoosier Racing Tires (they should get to my house soon!)
6. HPDE Events
7. Car Alignment
8. Wheel 2 Wheel Racing (better driver's then you will find at HPDE events. I get to find out how fast I really am.)

Good list. I learned a lot more racing karts than cars.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I knew all these "invest in the driver" advise is going to come. While it is very true, Chili Red specifically asked for mods to the car. Maybe we should just stick to that.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
To me he listed all the right (and obvious) things already.

I would add video and data tools are big...but they do fall into both improving driver and the car camps as you use video and data for car setup.

A harness can help make you faster as you will be held in place better. So can race seats.

And depending on your setup, you may gain time from a front swaybar.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
There is always bits that can be replaced, modified, or improved upon in just about every car. How much you gain from those changes is dependant on you the operator.
Practice, practice, practice. Add to that some quality instruction and more practice and you will see improvements.
Also, a degree of humility. Out of control egos, complacency, and dis-respect to the physics of speed and not only will things go bad, they can or will go bad in a very bad way.

In short, since you have started out with a very track worthy car the mods to it will be minimal compared to what you can do for yourself to make you a faster and smoother driver.

Most importantly, enjoy the ride!

I've been watching and it seems like you have the right approach and the improvements are noticeable. Keep up the good work.

Al

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
And the value of the mods will depend on the driver's ability. Even a bad driver could use more power... in fact, he may get more out of it than the driver who was already able to carry more speed in the corner.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I knew all these "invest in the driver" advise is going to come. While it is very true, Chili Red specifically asked for mods to the car. Maybe we should just stick to that.
Sorry if I went off topic. Driver training is just really important to me.

To me he listed all the right (and obvious) things already.

I would add video and data tools are big...but they do fall into both improving driver and the car camps as you use video and data for car setup.

A harness can help make you faster as you will be held in place better. So can race seats.
+1
A harness is next on my to do list.

this is the truth no doubt.
BTW, HL, i want your stohr F1000, those MC engined formula cars absolutuely fly.
I will race my own Stohr F1000 for the first time this weekend at the SCCA race at MSR Houston:up:. I had been renting one for the past two events I was in. I will try to post photos of the race next week.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I will race my own Stohr F1000 for the first time this weekend at the SCCA race at MSR Houston:up:. I had been renting one for the past two events I was in. I will try to post photos of the race next week.
Are you racing on both Sat & Sun? I might stop by and watch you run for a bit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
For now Fri test & tune, and Sat race. I will decide about Sun if the car still runs well after the Sat race. It would be great to see you out there.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
For now Fri test & tune, and Sat race. I will decide about Sun if the car still runs well after the Sat race. It would be great to see you out there.
Cool, Ill try and stop by Saturday and watch you race.. :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts