The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing a movie a long time ago where Al Pachino (I think) was yelling at someone else about being a criminal and he said " You want to know what's a crime?....This is a crime" as he pointed to a neon green Esprit that I think belonged to a drug cartel kingpin.

Does anyone else remember this movie?

·
Premium Member
4,117 Posts
Don't quote me...............I think it was "Cruising" 1980. It sucked!

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
For sure, it was The Rookie with Clint Eastwood and Charlie Sheen. I have the dvd :)

It had a lime green Esprit in it which has always been a subject of controversy over the years as to whether the car had actually been painted that color for the film or if they had used some green filter on the lens.

Roy

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's it!

My Esprit needs some carburetor work and will be going in the carb shop this week. While talking to the mechanic, he showed me an Esprit he's restoring and guess what color he painted it? Yep- lime green

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
There was an article in Lotus ReMarque 10 years ago about this car. If I recall the car was originally black and painted green. The paint was supposed to be removable but didn't quite work out that way.

Robert

·
Premium Member
2,984 Posts
That's actually not a bad color. I'd take it before black.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Although I didn't particularly care for the exact shade used in the film, I used to think that a lighter shade of lime green actually might look kind of exotic on an Esprit. Nowadays, not so much...LOL

Here's some old pics that I used photosoftware to modify for a different Esprit forum back in the late 90s. :)

Roy

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
such devotion. :)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Clint Eastwood in the film, The Rookie:
"You want to know what a real criminal is, Ackerman? It's the son of a b#tch who painted this car, that's who... Can you imagine defacing a work of art like this with a color like that? The guy ought to have his ass removed."

:)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Nice...Travis beat me to it...LOL

I have always liked that car and it was quite well-known in the UK.
That car was recently repainted from that green back to it's original yellow and was up for sale just a few months ago.

Here's a link to the eBay ad where it sold. If you scroll down to the bottom of that page, you can see the description and write-up on the car. :)

Lotus Esprit 2.2 Sport 300 | eBay

Roy

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
The original working submarine car just sold at auction about a year ago for around $975,000. The owner had purchased the car many years ago in a storage unit auction.

A long time ago the New Jersey Auto Show featured one of these prop cars which the LEO Group and I attended. It was owned by the same family for many years and shortly after the show was on eBay. It sold however I do not know where it went looks like the car I saw... could it be the same?

Then a while later a guy I helped with his '86 sent me this... if I recall he was driving on Long Island.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Cool, that's the car from the recent episode of American Restoration on the History Channel.

It has a 'Buy it Now' of $1,000,000?!!!!!!!

-eek- -eek- -eek- :crazyeyes

:scratchhead: :facepalm

:shrug:

Another famous movie car listed on eBay today. Wonder if anyone out there will pay the outrageous asking price and bring it to the next LOG???

Lotus Esprit Fins Retractable Wheels | eBay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts