The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that I really care...but I'm curious. I'm sure this is covered somewhere, but I've not been able to find it. How can I find out what number out of the factory my Elise is? I've looked all over the car at all the stickers I can see, and I don't see a chasis # or anything like that...at least nothing is jumping out at me.

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Open your driver's door and while still standing outside the car, lean over the driver's seat and look at the inside of the door sill. There is a sticker placed on the aluminum that is reading upside down (when viewed normally). The SN is on the sticker.

What are the last 5 digits and what is the model year code?

For decoding info-
http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/registry/

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O.K. So, that's the VIN...I found that. But, how do I know from that what # the car is off the assembly line...that's what I'm after. Is it just the last set of integers in the VIN?

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
you have to copy/paste that link^ into the address bar to get it to display properly, just an FYI:)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got #3956...thanks for the info. So, that's a few more cars than I had heard were being produced...unless this is counting all the Elises, UK and Federal for the 05 model year. In anycase...the car is still a unique treasure and I'm looking forward to years of fun with it.

Q

·
0 Posts
Well, the VIN number on the car doesn't mean that his car was the 3956th off the assembly line. From what we know, it's the 3956th Federal or 111r chassis produced, but the factory hasn't been taking the chassis and assembling them in sequential order.

I don't think there is a way to determine the exact order of complete car builds.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
qball said:
but the factory hasn't been taking the chassis and assembling them in sequential order.
I think they are more or less making them in order. There are hold ups, and reworks (i.e. a car fails inspection and has to be fixed) that shuffle the exact sequence, but I believe that it's more or less in order. For example #3956 is much, much closer to the 3,956th Fed/111R Elise made than the 3,000th Fed/111R Elise...:D

For all intents and purposes, it's the 3,956th car...

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
That doesn't mean that it's that number into the US. They are co-mingling numbers for all federal Elses, regardless of destination. It might be the 2800th Elise into the states, no one knows for sure except Lotus.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Surferjer said:
They are co-mingling numbers for all federal Elises, regardless of destination.
Technically, all "Federal Elises" come to the US. The rest of the world gets "111R Elises". The difference is things like air bags, etc.

And yes, the VINs include both Federal Elises and 111R Elises combined.

·
Registered
803 Posts
TimMullen said:
Technically, all "Federal Elises" come to the US. The rest of the world gets "111R Elises". The difference is things like air bags, etc.

Tim is correct. If fact, if you look at the VIN decoder on my site, you will see that Exiges are also included.

So, is this a good time to ask people to register their Elise at my website. Take a look at the display and see what kind of pattern there is to the modifications. You can also get a sense for the colors that are most common.

To register, edit or display:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/registry/

To see the cars already entered:

http://www.sandsmuseum.com/cars/elise/registry/display.html

and click Show All Vehicles or show all vehicles to see them with pictures.

Michael

·
Registered
17 Posts

Hi Tim,

It's been a while since I read the forum. I remember sometime ago you wrote about the interpretation of the VIN number for the 2005 Elise(US version). I also recall that my VIN showed that my car had a dual oil filter(or some double oil system). I apologize for not remembering the specifics, but do you know the correct post which showed how to interpret the VIN number? Thanks for any help you can provide. Five 21 (KGB Va Beach VA)

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I remember sometime ago you wrote about the interpretation of the VIN number for the 2005 Elise(US version). I also recall that my VIN showed that my car had a dual oil filter(or some double oil system).
Sorry, but your memory is a bit fuzzy.

The VIN has no information as to what options are included in the car. One of the digits indicates that it is a Federal Elise or Federal Exige (or other markets).

In the middle somewhere is a character that indicates the year.

The last four digits indicate the serial number.

The rest is just information required by the feds, but will all be the same on all of our cars.

·
Registered
7,116 Posts
and to add to what tim said - all federal Elise's were dual oil coolers until a certain time, and then it became a sport pack option. perhaps what you are thinking is that an early vin number = a dual oil cooler build date...

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
I agree with the above poster that options are not identified in the VIN.
As for the VIN code, here is a breakdown, using my car as an example:

SCCLHCZC6BHA12776

S = Country Code of Manufacture - UK
CC = Manufacturer Identifier Code - Lotus Cars Ltd.
L = The Make - Lotus
H = The Vehicle Type - Type 111, Elise and Exige
C = The Car Line - Elise
Z = The Engine Type - 2ZZ Supercharged
C= The Restraint System - Dual Airbags and Active Belts
6 = The Check Digit
B = The Model Year - 2011
H= The Assembly Plant - Hethel
A = The Market Specification - Left Hand Drive Federal
1 = The Production/Prototype Identifier - Production
2776 = The Seriel Number

Hope that helps

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
my window sticker (you can get yours from Lotus) indicates twin oil coolers, no sport pack, so it's early, corroborated by the 0134 last 4 on the vin. I figure my car is around the 134th off the line. I think they were only building one every 3 days at the beginning. It would have taken me much longer.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts