The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
What oil does Lotus use at the factory when they fill the car?

Just curious
Don't k now for sure, but it is a "high quality mineral oil", as in not synthetic. It's the break in oil, and you are supposed to change to 5W40 synthetic at the 1,000 mile service.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh ok. thanks. i was just curious if there was a brand that they used or endorsed.

that is curious about the mineral oil. i never heard of that before. good to know

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
oh ok. thanks. i was just curious if there was a brand that they used or endorsed.
In the owner's manual they do recommend Havoline synthetic 5W-40. It can be hard to find though.

I have a local oil distributor that was willing to order it for me. He ordered 12 cases and offered to ship it to anyone that needs it. I haven't gone through all 12 cases he ordered so I know he still has some. If you want any let me know and I'll be happy to coordinate it for you, etc. IIRC it was about $40/6Q case.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
You are correct and I guess I misread Chris' second post to mean "use or endorse" for oil to use, not for the break in oil, as that has already been placed.

OTOH, the manual does say that if you need to top off your oil during the break in period you are to use a high quality mineral oil. (Trying to dig out of the hole :D).

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
lol roaddad. i bought some castrol 5-40 and was hoping that would be ok. i thought i saw someone who posted on here they got that one and they liked it

·
Registered
6,648 Posts
lol roaddad. i bought some castrol 5-40 and was hoping that would be ok. i thought i saw someone who posted on here they got that one and they liked it
The local Lotus dealer here uses the Castrol Syntec 5-40 when they do Lotus oil changes, Lotus' recommendation for Havoline notwithstanding.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts