The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still driving my car like a wuss, since I have a new engine to break in, but my engine's operating temperature seems to be about 10 degrees higher with the SC than it was without. Before the SC went in, it would settle right around 190 degrees, and now it straddles 200. Is this normal? I'm super paranoid now after all the trouble I've had with the car in the last month.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is an Elise.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
I'm still driving my car like a wuss, since I have a new engine to break in, but my engine's operating temperature seems to be about 10 degrees higher with the SC than it was without. Before the SC went in, it would settle right around 190 degrees, and now it straddles 200. Is this normal? I'm super paranoid now after all the trouble I've had with the car in the last month.

Edit: Oh yeah, this is an Elise.
It depends a lot on ambient temps, vehicle speed, engine load, etc. If you're getting 200 degrees while cruising at highway speeds, that's high. If you're getting 200 degrees stuck in stop and go traffic on a hot day, completely normal.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends a lot on ambient temps, vehicle speed, engine load, etc. If you're getting 200 degrees while cruising at highway speeds, that's high. If you're getting 200 degrees stuck in stop and go traffic on a hot day, completely normal.
It seems uniformly 10 degrees higher than it used to be, so highway is in the high 190's, and sitting in traffic on a hot day is around 205-210.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
upgrade radiator

I upgraded the radiator the same time I had the SC installed and my temps are around 189-195 even in heavy traffic in the Phoenix summer heat......regarding your temps they seem a little high.........add water wetter maybe it'll help lower the temps

·
Registered
205 Posts
highway cruising speeds at 90-100 degree ambient temperature ours registers 190-192

highway cruising speeds in cooler weather...about 188

stuck in traffic on burning hot 95-100 degree days, car will read 200 to at the most, 204 from what i remember.

ours is factory supercharged bought that way with over 11000 miles now. :nanner:

hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I've got a Katana and run ~183-187 on the highway at 65-75mph.
stop and go traffic I am around 195-200...

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've got a Katana and run ~183-187 on the highway at 65-75mph.
stop and go traffic I am around 195-200...
Hmm,,, 05 elise, stuck in traffic, 80-90 F outside, I usually get between
205-210 F, and I thought this was normal...

But looking at your #'s i am kind of on the high side...?:confused::confused::confused:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Hmm,,, 05 elise, stuck in traffic, 80-90 F outside, I usually get between
205-210 F, and I thought this was normal...

But looking at your #'s i am kind of on the high side...?:confused::confused::confused:
that's not high enough to cause any damage though, so don't worry.

·
Registered
400 Posts
It was 90 out today. On the highway, I sat at 187. Through some lights and stop and go traffic I got up to 199, then I jumped back on the highway and it dropped back to 187. My car is 2005 with Katana and 3.2 pulley.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My car runs at about the same temps as it did befor I added the factory sc. Between about 180 and 187 in highway, it will get to 190 pretty quickly in traffic, and I have seen 200-210 if stuck on traffic for a long time.

Is it typical for these motors to run a bit hot when they're breaking in? Could it be either the wrong thermostat or a bad one? Or maybe a coolant hose got kinked or something during the engine replacement. It doesn't seem like it's getting hot enough to hurt anything, but you might want to go back to the dealer and mention that it's running a bit hot.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts

·
Mulholland>SCC
2,532 Posts
My car (exige s) is usually just under 190. When it is hot, it'll be over 190. When it is bloody hot I have seen the car as high as 217. I was in Palm Springs in the summer on surface streets.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have the BWR SC and run 186-189 F in street and highway driving.

Sometimes temp climbs to 192-194 F when sitting.

FWIW, these temps are slightly higher with the SC than without.

Regards,
Wayne

·
purveyor of lightness
4,255 Posts
My BOE TVS runs between 181-183 in traffic.

Idling last weekend in auto-x grid for 15 minutes got it up to 196. Ambient was 97 degrees and a very sticky 58% humidity. Not too bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts