The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reading the "what options is your car missing?" thread, where people are whining about power steering, power mirrors, and cruise control, I suddenly worried that Lotus might actually listen to these guys... And the horror of a 3000 lb exige S3 with power steering, power mirrors, cruise control, GPS navigation, power seats, rear view camera, power sunshades, Lotus version of iDrive, etc... made me start this thread...

So - what can you do without? For me, these 4 things:
- removable roof - I really wish the exige was a true hardtop.
- power windows.
- radio.
- A/C.

Would this make the car too hard core? (effectively a cup car?)
Is that the minimum set of creature comforts that still allows someone to drive to a track day ( vs trailering? )

Cheers,
-Darryl

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
it doesnt need to be a true hardtop because the chassis was designed to be stiff as a convertable first so making it a "true hardtop" would only add weight...

I do wish you could get crank windows tho, just because electric windows always end up breaking

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I would have passed on the AC if I had the choice.....

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
In retrospect, I shoulda passed on the Touring pack. I've only used the soft-top once, I've removed all the carpets (including floor mats) and the sound deadening / insulation from the chassis floor. I do use the radio for the long "commutes" (6 to 12 hours) to decent tracks from where I live. I'm indifferent on AC and would have opted out, save for what I perceived to be resale issues.

I know that the airbags are mandated, but I never drive unbelted on the street and I'm harnessed (4 pt now, but 6 pt next season) at the track, so I can do without them.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
It is mandatory for them to sell the car with airbags, but it isn't mandatory to keep them in the car while you own/drive it. At least not in Texas. Or so says my friendly neighborhood safety inspector. In fact my driver's side bag is removed, and I passed inspection.

xtn

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
it doesnt need to be a true hardtop because the chassis was designed to be stiff as a convertable first so making it a "true hardtop" would only add weight...
+1

I could have done without the A/C, but I'll admit that since I have it, I use it quite a bit to defog on misty days.

Could do without:

stereo
carpet
start button
strange "cupholder" between the seats
visors

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
+1

I could have done without the A/C, but I'll admit that since I have it, I use it quite a bit to defog on misty days.

Could do without:

stereo
carpet
start button
strange "cupholder" between the seats
visors
I tended to agree on the start button. Until I stabbed it with my finger a couple times when I stalled (for no reason). Then I liked it, because fumbling for the key to turn it in an odd situation where you might get rear-ended at any second made me appreciate it.

+1 on the strange "cupholder" thingy.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I wish Lotus cars didnt come with Lotus owners who always complain about others who complain about not having luxuries. For me, Ill take the power windows, locks and mirrors. Ill also take a working AC and a decent radio. Seriously, all that will add about a whopping 20 total pounds if even that. All they have to do is make them all optional so that the "purist" can have their box with wheels. Honestly, and also from a business perspective, Lotus wouldnt exist if they made the "pure" car.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
i've removed the audio system.

wish mine came with manual windows instead of the power windows.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts