The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What cars have come with suspension packages (not accompanied by other performance upgrades) and how has it effected resale?

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ohh... just thought of one -

3rd gen RX7 (R1/R2 package) - effect on resale - minimal to none at all.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Some Porsches and BMWs. The resale for older Porsches with suspension packages for guys who race them is significant.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Porsches with M030 sport suspensions.

On my previous 968, that meant
- single adjustable Koni's
- treaded spring perch in front combined with torsion bar in the rear meant full ride height adjustment
- 3 position adjustable rear sway bar
- cross drilled rotors
- larger front sway bar
- additional helper spring in the rear for added wheel rate

Made for a pretty neat street car and it did help resale because of it's rarity and desireability.

Also, this combination was not too stiff for the street. My current Z06 rides more stiffly.

Alex

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
achiu said:
Porsches with M030 sport suspensions.

On my previous 968, that meant

Alex
How great was the 968 huh? I had one for about 3 years and that 3.0 four banger was a torque monster. I had the standard suspension, and it performed like it was on rails. It's unfortunate that the 968 was relegated to constant comparisons w/ the 924/44 family (although it was obviously directly related) because I think that took away from the fact that it was a hugely underrated performer. I wish we would have gotten the club sport version that the euros had.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
_JD_ said:
How great was the 968 huh? I had one for about 3 years and that 3.0 four banger was a torque monster. I had the standard suspension, and it performed like it was on rails. It's unfortunate that the 968 was relegated to constant comparisons w/ the 924/44 family (although it was obviously directly related) because I think that took away from the fact that it was a hugely underrated performer. I wish we would have gotten the club sport version that the euros had.
I've owned a few 944's in my time and never felt that 968 was put down in anyway. We had a joke on PCA track days that nothing put down the 911 guys boasting like a 944S2, 944 Turbo or 968 eating them in the corners (mind you we lost on the straights but ...) I think that the entire line took flak for being a "water cooled over priced Audi" nevermind that they drove like they were on rails and had looks that are truely timeless.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 968 was an absolute blast on the track. It is so well balanced that you could enter a corner and plan which end you want to slide if that is your inclination. I still wish I had mine and I would be thrilled if the Elise could be "danced" around a corner as well as my 968 could. The 968CS (lighter and stripped euro only model) won Autocar's best handling car one year.

Alex

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 968 does not have the sport suspension and I wish it did. My Elise will definitely be getting this.

Incidentally how can I justify keeping both cars?

·
Registered
22 Posts
babak said:
I think that the entire line took flak for being a "water cooled over priced Audi" nevermind that they drove like they were on rails and had looks that are truely timeless.
I had a late 924 - wonderful design, terrible execution.

I think the perception problems stemmed from the initial use of an Audi truck engine and the fact that they were assembled by Audi.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Nathan968 said:
My 968 does not have the sport suspension and I wish it did. My Elise will definitely be getting this.

Incidentally how can I justify keeping both cars?
Easy, make the 968 your daily driver. I drove a coupe and then a cab for 10 years as my only car, it's surprisingly functional.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Miata: springs, swaybars, Bilstein shocks, chassis bracing, Torsen LSD, larger aluminum wheels, and after 2001, upgraded brakes. A $900 option when new.

MINI: Springs, swaybars, shocks, $500.

I think the 4th generation Corvettes had some suspension options available. The Camaro had the 1LE package.

M030 was available from the 924 through the 968, and on the Boxster. I don't know about the 911 series. On the 944 S2, it included springs, swaybars, threaded-body front shocks, and upgraded brakes. LSD was a separate option.

I'm guessing that the Elise won't be as "dancable" as the 968...mid-engined cars have a different handling style than 50/50 front engine rear-drive cars. A good comparison would be the Miata and the MR2. The Miata lets you toy with the limits, recover quickly and be on your way. The MR2 requires more planning and commitment, but rewards you with quick responses and incredible grip under power. The 944/968 probably handle like great big Miatas. If my friend ever gets his S2 put back together, maybe I will find out first hand.

Did y'all catch the Grassroots Motorsports article in which a 944 ate up a comparably priced, comparable-vintage 911? All that, and a hatch for your stuff. Pretty cool.

As for resale value, a suspension option will probably be worth something if you are selling a car that's popular with racers or sportscar fans, and/or reasonably rare. On more common cars or cars that are sought for reasons other than performance, the suspension option will be overlooked by 95% of buyers and sellers, so it will never figure into the price.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The last generation Dodge Viper coupe had an ACR option that was primarily a weight savings/suspension upgrade package.

Richard Fogg

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I had a Neon ACR - adjustable shocks, modified ECU. Sweet handling car, ok engine. They had these as factory installed options but after 99 they went to "trunk packs". Zero effect on value except for a few enthusiasts. The chocks were crap quality Koni's that leaked more oil than the Exxon Valdez.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
brookester said:
Wouldn't a well sorted aftermarket suspension and wheels have just as much value during resale as the LSS package?
Not to most people. Most people are unlikely to trust another person's "tuning" due to the vast numbers of idiots out there buying off-the-shelf kits that aren't designed for at-the-limit handling, and mixing and matching with other kits that aren't designed to go together. Unless you are familiar with the person who did the suspension sorting, or with the particular combination of parts used, how do you know how well sorted the suspension is? The LSS is a known quantity that has Lotus' stamp of approval, and that's a good thing for most people, and absolutely necessary for some Lotus fans.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts