The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After over 2 years of R&D and testing I'm getting close to releasing tuning software for the T4E. There is a long list of features I've already implemented and tested as well as hundreds of settings the user can change. Most of these ideas came from tuning locals who have VF and Forcefed kits. What others would people like me to add?

Already done and tested.
Flash Cable
Live Tuning
highspeed Datalogging
ECU Trim reset
Boost cutoff
Intercooler fan control
Highspeed flash updates

Mostly done or not well tested yet.
Launch control
Map switching with a knob on the dash (yes high octane/low octane)
Increased revlimiter (still need to test this on a car that can handle it)
Controllable shift light (by gear)

Proposed - I could do this time permitting
Shift light flash on knock
Full speed density operation (remove the MAF and have a nice day)
Wideband inputs (allow the 0-5v output of a wideband controller to replace the factory O2 sensor entirely)

Maybe possible - Still requires further research to see if it could be done
Disable the clutch switch lockout on Canadian cars
Boost control with the ECU (depends on finding an additional available output).

-Michael

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
have the low cooling fans come on at 190 and high on at 205.

·
Carbon Fiber
1,637 Posts
How do I get in on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
MAF transfer function.
Access to injector scaling (mass and offset)
Access to WOT AFR/FAR targets
Access to ignition maps (I'm assuming a high and low octane or MBT, knock limit, etc depending on what strategy is used)
Load scaling (primarily for open loop closed loop switching)
A good data logger that can log the basics (rpm, MAF, MAF volts, vehicle speed, injector pw, fuel trims) as well as any knock and any "octane scaling parameters"
Increased revlimit
Lift (second cam) switch point

Those are the big ones.

Next most important IMO:
VTC angle control
Idle rpm and maybe some basic parameters into whatever idle control exists
Access into some basic cranking and after start parameters
Coolant / IAT scaling. IAT scaling for sure for ignition.

As for other features:
Speed density conversion would be very cool.
A big one is to back out the 7% adder that the dash puts on the vehicle speed. Basically just back out 7% from the vehicle speed right before the ecu kicks the data out over CAN.
Launch control is kind of cool but honestly most of these cars aren't being used for that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
have the low cooling fans come on at 190 and high on at 205.
You can do whatever you like with the cooling fans. Part of the flexibility of tuning software is that you can turn your cooling fans on at 60 degrees if you wish.

-Michael

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MAF transfer function.
Access to injector scaling (mass and offset)
Injection isn't quite done like that in the factory ECU. However, you can jsut pick your injector from a list or enter the size yourself. There is also a latency table to adjust for the opening time depending on the battery voltage. There are also a number of other parameters like minimum injection pulse. Hard to remember when I've decoded about a thousand params in that ECU.

Access to WOT AFR/FAR targets
There are no FAR tables. I've never understood the point of presenting calculated data anyway. Having tuned cars for more than a decade I have some good ideas on how to present things - in a format you can understand and use. You like to tune with lambda, no problem, just switch units to Lambda. If you really want to use FAR, I suppose I could add that for you.

Access to ignition maps (I'm assuming a high and low octane or MBT, knock limit, etc depending on what strategy is used)
Lotus gives you primary timing and knock retard.

Load scaling (primarily for open loop closed loop switching)
A good data logger that can log the basics (rpm, MAF, MAF volts, vehicle speed, injector pw, fuel trims) as well as any knock and any "octane scaling parameters"

Increased revlimit
Lift (second cam) switch point
Both the VVTL and VVTI settings are available as well as all the enable/disable criteria. As well you can adjust the switchover points by RPM and load as well as all the associated adjustments. Although I can make these all available there is a risk of being overloaded with hundreds of settings that you will never need and there is no point changing.

Next most important IMO:
VTC angle control
Idle rpm and maybe some basic parameters into whatever idle control exists
Access into some basic cranking and after start parameters
Coolant / IAT scaling. IAT scaling for sure for ignition.
Many of these are already available. I think I posted an example of the idle table somewhere. I haven't worked out all the idle tables yet but will be doing so shortly as I have a car to fix that doesn't idle properly. I have the idle adjustment timing, high speed, low speed idle targets and all that but the finer settings are still coming. The main issue is the delay and adjustment rate for idle speed error corrections. Put a big PD blower on the car and you'll see what I mean.

As for other features:
Speed density conversion would be very cool.
Already on the list.

A big one is to back out the 7% adder that the dash puts on the vehicle speed. Basically just back out 7% from the vehicle speed right before the ecu kicks the data out over CAN.
Good idea. I haven't decoded the CAN dash stuff yet. I don't know if the speed is adjusted by the ECU or by the dash itself. I wasn't planning to reflash any dashes. Unfortunately the only use of that is generally crooked resellers and I'm not interested in going there.

Launch control is kind of cool but honestly most of these cars aren't being used for that.
I agree. The same routine is used for boost cut and launch control so I spent less than an hour implementing it. Mainly I'm looking for things people would find useful. Some years ago I was asked to tune some cars when the Force Fed kit came out and I said to myself gee, I wish I could buy a product to reflash these things instead of putting an expensive standalone on.

I realize that not everyone here is a tuner but I've always felt the user should be empowered to take their car to whichever tuner they like and trust. I've spent over a decade of my life in hot stinky dyno rooms so I'm not really focusing on tunes or tuning services unless it's some place really warm (while snow sits on the ground at home).

-Michael

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How do I get in on this?
It's not ready to leave beta testing. It's been in beta for a long time, I know but I want to make sure that I'm happy enough with how it works first. It will be out well in advance of spring.

-Michael

·
Registered
846 Posts
The speedo error is introduced at the dash.
The speed signal on the can bus as well as the speed signal inputs to the ECU (the lines from the ABS) are correct and not factored.
I've verified this as I run the ABS wheel speeds (rears) into my AIM logger.

Hackish, what's the main thread for this effort?
I'm interested in this when ready.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I for one need the ability to disable various readyness checks, secondary O2 and evap for example.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Two things also would be to controlling the A/C cutoff point? Is it done by vacuum or RPM? The other thing would be the air bag light on the dash. I would like to be able switch that.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The speedo error is introduced at the dash.
The speed signal on the can bus as well as the speed signal inputs to the ECU (the lines from the ABS) are correct and not factored.
I've verified this as I run the ABS wheel speeds (rears) into my AIM logger.

Hackish, what's the main thread for this effort?
I'm interested in this when ready.
Yes the "error" is introduced at the dash.

However you can "correct" it by taking a percentage off on the CAN packet. At least you can trust the speedo then.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I for one need the ability to disable various readyness checks, secondary O2 and evap for example.
Those are already in the software and available on the stock ROM (obviously it needs the calibration to be set for it). Generally with a list of codes I can simply disable them.

-Michael

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two things also would be to controlling the A/C cutoff point? Is it done by vacuum or RPM? The other thing would be the air bag light on the dash. I would like to be able switch that.
I haven't looked at the AC cutoff stuff, although I did map which pin the AC fan request went to. From what I observed the AC compressor seemed to shut off when you requested a moderate amount of power so it may already be functioning as needed. If I had to guess it's probably triggered by load and RPM.

The airbag stuff would be controlled by the SRS computer and I'm not touching that with a 100 foot lawsuit-proof stick.

-Michael

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need this I have 06 sell me now !!!!
I'm sure it will be on the market soon enough. I tune all summer and program all winter so it's getting cold here and tuning jobs are finishing up. I've tuned a number of '06 and '07 elise/exige models this summer so I'm confident in the package. It still needs a little more bug fixing.

-Michael

·
6.94915254 lbs/hp
1,738 Posts
I'm sorry... This is getting me excited!

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Also aside from just arbitrarily turning off readiness codes, can you adjust the window for the parameter? Like if the secondary O2 sensor is supposed to be within 0.100 volts of the primary O2 sensor, can you widen that to like 0.150 volts? Or are you only allowed to either enable or disable?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts