The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to paint the engine cover and center console the color of the car and I'm wondering what brand of primer should I use that would adhere well to plastic. I will be shooting PPG paint so the question is should I shoot a good PPG primer or is anyone using a better primer for the plastic pieces? I had some issues with some other plastics in the past and don't want to find out the hard way. Thank you in advance.

-Wil

·
Registered
526 Posts
I want to paint the engine cover and center console the color of the car and I'm wondering what brand of primer should I use that would adhere well to plastic. I will be shooting PPG paint so the question is should I shoot a good PPG primer or is anyone using a better primer for the plastic pieces? I had some issues with some other plastics in the past and don't want to find out the hard way. Thank you in advance.

-Wil
You should use and adhesion promoted that is designed for plastic parts, rather than a standard primer. It should be available at any place that sells automotive paints. One that is in an aerosol can will work just fine, no need to pay more for one that you have to shoot with a spray gun.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll check with my local supplier about the best plastic primer available:up:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I just did my engine pieces a couple of days ago using PPG paint, I believe it was DBC, and I shot it with just the paint and clear coat, and it did great!

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would suggest that you use a two part clear coat, instead of the one that you can get in a spray can. It will be more durable and it dries with a harder finish. Just make sure you do any wet sanding as soon as the manufacturer will allow it. The longer it sets the longer it will take you to wet sand out any imperfections. also if you get any imperfections in the base coat done be afraid to lightly sand it with some 600 grit. then just put one more base coat on before the clear to make sure you have uniform coverage.

Here is a link to how my stuff turned out.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/my-mesh-grilles-other-winter-mods-68127/index2.html

check out post #27

This is what I used when I did mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
495 Posts
My local auto paint shop will put PPG in a spray can for you (actually, can put just about any brand of paint in a rattle can).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah whatever you do don't listen to me! :no: I was about to install my engine covers after giving them a final wax and what did I notice that the paint began to peel off. So after reviewing the paperwork on the DBC (Deltron) I over looked that I DID need to use a primer...... Good luck with the paint, looks like I get to do mine again!!!! :clap:

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah whatever you do don't listen to me! :no: I was about to install my engine covers after giving them a final wax and what did I notice that the paint began to peel off. So after reviewing the paperwork on the DBC (Deltron) I over looked that I DID need to use a primer...... Good luck with the paint, looks like I get to do mine again!!!! :clap:
This is what I was afraid of, I've used before an Omni (cheap PPG) Epoxy Primer that holds up pretty good, but if i can find a top notch primer (regardless of price) I rather use it, it will save me having to do it over...

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would suggest that you use a two part clear coat, instead of the one that you can get in a spray can. It will be more durable and it dries with a harder finish. Just make sure you do any wet sanding as soon as the manufacturer will allow it. The longer it sets the longer it will take you to wet sand out any imperfections. also if you get any imperfections in the base coat done be afraid to lightly sand it with some 600 grit. then just put one more base coat on before the clear to make sure you have uniform coverage.

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/my-mesh-grilles-other-winter-mods-68127/index2.html

check out post #27

I will use PPG paint and clear, all I need is a compatible plastic primer, thanks guys for all your input :up:

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

check out post #27

I will use PPG paint and clear, all I need is a compatible, good quality plastic primer, thanks guys for all your input, very helpful :up:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts