The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And fix up with only another 2k? My Elise will be in the shop and I need something to keep me busy for the 3-4, 5 (?!?!?!?!) weeks she'll be in there. Don't want to go too crazy tho. -JD

I was thinking Miata, and maybe doing a 5.0L Swap...
240sx, and the SR motor way too overdone
I don't know what else...
280z v8 swap?

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
I wouldn't buy a project car...

but my son, 22, bought a 240sx with a junk motor for $600 and put in an SR20DE out of a front clip from Japan.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
240sx and put a rb25det in it :D
or a Ca18det(thats what my 240 had in it)
the ca18 is a wonderful engine and its easy to reprogram the ECU... all you need to do is replace the prom with a ziff socket and an EEprom... get a 300zx maf and put a big turbo on it :D my head was also ported which helped ALOT... also had a turbo from a rb25det on it... nifty turbo, has a ceramic exhaust wheel and a carbon composite compressor wheel so it spools very quickly even on a 1.8 liter... get some 550 cc injectors... if you go anybigger than that you will have an issue with the open/close time... and well take it from me your compression rings will curse you with their last breath :(

·
Registered
425 Posts
I picked up 2 Saab Sonnetts for about $2,000 a while back. I used one car for parts. I spent about $9,000 restoring the car and sold it for $6,000. It was a fun project and a great car but I would never do it again. It would have been alot cheaper to buy the car finished and I could have spent the hundreds of hours of restoration time on the road.
However, I would love to build a Beck 550 Spyder some day after I retire.

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
A late seventies VW Golf

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
the ca18 is a wonderful engine and its easy to reprogram the ECU... all you need to do is replace the prom with a ziff socket and an EEprom... get a 300zx maf and put a big turbo on it :D my head was also ported which helped ALOT... also had a turbo from a rb25det on it... nifty turbo, has a ceramic exhaust wheel and a carbon composite compressor wheel so it spools very quickly even on a 1.8 liter... get some 550 cc injectors... if you go anybigger than that you will have an issue with the open/close time... and well take it from me your compression rings will curse you with their last breath :(

probably a bit more than the total 4.5k he was looking to spend. :)

I'd love to get a 71 240Z and drop a rb26dett in there then all the suspension and brakes. But again, more than 4.5k. :(

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
:huh:

:shrug:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I remember this sign that was posted when I was in college it said:

"If the car is UNDER $2000, you can't afford it".

The general idea being that you'd spend so much in repairs... and life lessons have proven it to be mostly accurate. =)

For me I'd buy a Triumph Spitfire to be fixed up. I had one when I was younger and loved it. At 70mph it felt like you were doing 200, meanwhile minivans are passing you. But it was a helluva lot of fun.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mid-80s toyota pickup? Can be had for under 2k. turbo the 22RE or swap in something bigger. Can be built into a pretty cheap rock buggy, if that is your thing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
MgB, may not find one for 2.5k, but easy to find under 4-5k in drivable condition.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Miata NA
E30 3 series
RX7 FC
CRX
MR2
240sx
NX2000
VW GTI
Starion
Eclips
Conquest
Omni

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Ive always wanted to do a FWD autocross project, so Id lean towards 93-95 civic hatch or an 88-91 CRX Si.

B series swap with new coilovers would be a blast

·
Registered
107 Posts
Ive always wanted to do a FWD autocross project, so Id lean towards 93-95 civic hatch or an 88-91 CRX Si.

B series swap with new coilovers would be a blast
I've driven a buddies EG hatch, stripped down(er, lightness-added ;) ), and with a B18c engine.. not bad at all for what it is.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
a gokart. Lots of fun. Easy to store. Help my driving skill (Humm I better start using much more).

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
anything American from the 1970's.. :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts