The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hardtop or soft top? I know it depends on who you're running with but the pre tech never said anything about it.

The softop has more headroom, and possibly better visability.

Any takers?

·
Registered
820 Posts
Better visibility with the soft top? Not a chance.

Safer with the hard top? I would think so, the more "hard stuff" around you the better debris protection you have. That being said, use the hard-top.

That, and it'll be less drag on the car anyway.... and less wear on the soft-top. Do you know how expensive those things are? If some track "whatever" hits it, it'll cost you more than some simple fibreglass repairs and paint work...

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
How about no top at all, if they let you? Seriously, if you have an accident, neither top is doing you any favors as they will fly apart.

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
I've been going with the hard top on and haven't regretted it once. Even when it was pushing 110 degrees I think the hard top was a good idea. I wasn't tracking to shave seconds off my time and was really just learning the lines and basics so I even ran the AC. I was staying nice and cool and the car didn't seemed phased by it at all. ...at least not at the level that I would notice ...being the noobie that I am.

I vote for leaving the hard top 'on'.

- z

·
Registered
308 Posts
have you ever weighed it?
The hardtop w/finisher piece weights 25lbs.
If you don't know the answer to something, don't guess,
it makes you look foolish.
Damn I guess for someone giving out advice about being foolish... you might want to try a more tactful way of saying it?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
I used to track mine topless. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Any problems with nipple chaffing?

(sorry couldn't resist)

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Spec Miata requires a hard top. Different car, certainly, but knowing why a spec series would require a hard top for cars with cage protection might be instructive. Also, the Bay Area BMW club requires hard tops on any Elises that do their track schools. I can ask them why and get back to ya'll.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
FWIW, BMWCCA requires hard top.
And one of their regional chief instructors is trying to get that rescinded.

Only reason to have either top on the Elise is weather protection. Hardtop probably contributes some chassis stiffness, but not so much that it makes a significant difference to most of us.

Unless one has arm restraints, having a top on could actually be a negative in the event the car went on its lid. If someone's arm flew out under extreme circumstances (going turtle is a pretty extreme circumstance after all) it could be seriously injured or even severed.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Neither make the car safer, non is part of the loadbearing structure, eitherone work as well as open roof.
Right up until the point (during rollover) your hands and arms flail out of an open roof ....... :eek: Although neither offers any real impact protection, both will help keep your limbs inside the vehicle, so you should use one or the other on track.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Right up until the point (during rollover) your hands and arms flail out of an open roof ....... :eek: Although neither offers any real impact protection, both will help keep your limbs inside the vehicle, so you should use one or the other on track.
If you're using a net or restraints.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts