The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never seen rotors with titanium coated hats before. Does anyone know who makes these?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,534 Posts
I've never seen rotors with titanium coated hats before. Does anyone know who makes these?

I don't know that titanium rotor hats would be any better than aluminum. If they were I'd think the major manufacturers would already have them as an option. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of titanium when used properly. Any material has pros and cons.

San

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Those are EBC turbo groove discs and they are simply zinc plated, not titanium.

1093_0.jpg

·
Registered
153 Posts
By titanium he means titanium nitride coating, which, as correctly identified, they are not-

they are the ones pictured, the EBC rotors, and the coating is a zinc yellow dichromate coating- the rotors are first zinc coated and then yellow chromate conversion coated.

Titanium nitride coatings are used as a surface hardening and protection for sliding surfaces as well as corrosion resistance. It is very thin and expensive.

yellow dichromate zinc coating is a corrosion inhibitor and better suited for rotors, yet still a more expensive (and maybe unnecessary) option for rotors which are usually just zinc plated.

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,534 Posts
By titanium he means titanium nitride coating, which, as correctly identified, they are not-

they are the ones pictured, the EBC rotors, and the coating is a zinc yellow dichromate coating- the rotors are first zinc coated and then yellow chromate conversion coated.

Titanium nitride coatings are used as a surface hardening and protection for sliding surfaces as well as corrosion resistance. It is very thin and expensive.

yellow dichromate zinc coating is a corrosion inhibitor and better suited for rotors, yet still a more expensive (and maybe unnecessary) option for rotors which are usually just zinc plated.
Commonly used on drill bits, right?

San

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Commonly used on drill bits, right?

San
Titanium nitride yes.

Zinc coating and yellow chromating not so much.
That is a surface coating for corrosion protection often found on bolts, brackets and such.

I wonder if the coating on the EBC rotors is ChromeVI free....

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. They had just caught my eye and I was curious. I'm on the OEM's right now at the 26mm spec so no need to change for a little while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts