The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I generally cruise at low rpms (3k) unless I am purposely accelerating. Most times if I'm doing 60 I'm in 6th. Today I was doing my cruising at around 4500-4700 RPM. I figure as long as the oil is always good this should have little to none ill effect. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I generally cruise at low rpms (3k) unless I am purposely accelerating. Most times if I'm doing 60 I'm in 6th. Today I was doing my cruising at around 4500-4700 RPM. I figure as long as the oil is always good this should have little to none ill effect. Thoughts?
It depends for me.

If I am driving in high winds, I drive at about 5500RPMs. Might need that burst of torque.

If I am driving around the college to pick up girls, I just stay on the second cam before I pull over to get drunk with them. It gets them whet.

If I am driving with my jimmy out the window, I tend to use lower RPMs in case my appendage is caught on anything whilst catching the breeze.

If I am just going from Point A to Point B the car seems to drive itself. I suspect the bastardized alarm is haunting my car. Then again, my car won't even run right now.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Depends on my attitude at the time, If I am in low profile leave me alone mode then short shifts and low revs. If I am in a "spirited" mood then it's cam time ....... this usually occurs in tunnels on the weekend in the Malibu mountains :shift:

I think freeway cruising should be done in sixth on long hauls , but I think it is important for those of us who daily drive to get in the cams regularly at least once or twice per drive after temp is reached. And also I don't drive hard until well after warm up , even though the temp gauge says 170, that is water temp not oil temp....

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
4000RPM in 6th = 80mph indicated. Perfect cruising speed in CA.

I don't have to downshift to accelerate thanks to the torque from the FF275 kit :p:nanner:

·
Registered
263 Posts
1st gear @ 8500 rpm's seems to be a good cruising pace. Sounds really nice too!

·
Registered
1,086 Posts

I don't have to downshift to accelerate thanks to the torque from the FF275 kit :p:nanner:
:nanner: Cheers to that :cool:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
3754 rpms most of the time, except when it's different.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
So far, I am finding that somewhere between 3000 and 4000 RPM is a nice comprimise. With mostly highway driving the last couple of days, I was getting 29mpg! Not hateful for a car that looks better than a lambo and costs ten times less.

I am loving this thing!

·
Registered
263 Posts
:D Too bad you can only do it for 2 seconds at a time and then the variable rev limiter kicks in -poke-
true, but those 2 seconds are pure magic :nanner2:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts

I thought it was 78mph at 4k, but yes, thats what I cruise at on freeways too.

Usually on slower roads I cruise at 3500ish

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
...i also cruise in high gear, generally between idle and 4k...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Speeds in Gear

I thought it was 78mph at 4k, but yes, thats what I cruise at on freeways too.

Usually on slower roads I cruise at 3500ish
Kevin (def) is closer to correct. According to the owner's manual, "mph/1000 rpm," sixth is 19.4 MPH/1000 RPM - gives 77.6 MPH at 6000 PPM.

I generally cruise between 2000 - 3000 RPM, unless in top gear and going faster than 58.2. :p

The following chart is based on the "mph/1000 rpm" information from the '05 manual. The section of green text is copied directly from the manual. Also, consider that as the tires wear (pretty quickly) the speed for any given RPM is lower (more revs needed to go a particular distance/speed). The blue "easy shifting" arrows are what I frequently find myself using in ordinary street driving...unless I want to stretch 'er legs and use the red arrow pace. :D

FWIW, the reason the arrows differ in length is explained by the Gear Ratio Spread adjacent to the table. F'rinstance 3-4 and 4-5 are almost exactly evenly spaced. Overall, the spread gets closer from First to Sixth.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wait. There is a speedometer in the Elise? You mean that dial next to the Tach. that gives you a vague idea about approx. how fast one might be driving with a delta of + or - 10 MPH?? TADTS

·
Registered
263 Posts
ya, it should be called an approximadometer

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
ya, it should be called an approximadometer
Mine's a mere approximation, but it's consistent. In any given range it is always off by the same amount. In instrumentation, consistency is at least as important as accuracy -- more so if the error is known. I frequently check against the tach and there is no variation, so I can at least trust it to be wrong in a way I know how to deal with. :p

1 - 19 of 19 Posts