The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 Elise. It has Toyo R888's, VF2 intercooled SC and is decatted with a 2bular header plus has been reflashed. Sector111 steering arms. Rear toe brack. Plus a splitter and aftermarket diffuser. Ohlins 2 way shocks. Stock seats and belts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I think you are XP but not possitive. You are surely out of SP.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im sure I will be in a class that will destroy me, but I'm just going because its fun and I want to learn more about my car and myself

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Will they have someone there to help me figure out what class I'm in while registering?

LikeI said, my first SCCA autocross

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
SSM or XP
^^ this

and IMHO I wouldn't worry about what class you are in honestly for your first auto-x. Like you said you are there just to get start learning about it all, learn the car and have fun.

Even if the car were class competitive you would still almost surely get schooled by all the experienced auto-xers anyways. Just race against yourself.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am just asking because I'm trying to register and you have to enter your class

Yes, all about fun and racing against myself

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts
Im sure I will be in a class that will destroy me, but I'm just going because its fun and I want to learn more about my car and myself
Excellent attitude.

I'd register as SSM. Look for a possible checkbox for a local street-tire factor, unless you are running the factory LSS tires which are not eligible.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Excellent attitude.

I'd register as SSM. Look for a possible checkbox for a local street-tire factor, unless you are running the factory LSS tires which are not eligible.
His car does not meet the weight requirements for SSM. If you are going to just have fun and the class doesn't matter, at least pick the correct class so that nobody hassles you in tech.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have a 2006 Elise. It has Toyo R888's, VF2 intercooled SC and is decatted with a 2bular header plus has been reflashed. Sector111 steering arms. Rear toe brack. Plus a splitter and aftermarket diffuser. Ohlins 2 way shocks. Stock seats and belts
You location says "Homeless" so I don't know what region you are in. If the club is even somewhat organized, you should be able to register in the novice class. So what actual class you are in should be a moot point.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I think you would need A LOT of ballast to be in SSM. XP is a safe and appropriate choice.

Dave

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Go with SSM, there are not normally scales at the local SCCA track. You are only about 120 pounds under, I wouldn't sweat it. If you feel guilty, add a passenger. As a novice, nobody is going to nit-pick your classing till you start winning. Expect to get crushed by experienced drivers in Miatas, once PAX time calculations are performed. Oh, and I normally turn faster times with a passenger; either my ego is helping or my corner balance is better, you pick.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am jus ther to learn about my car and my driving. Where ever they put me I will still get to do my x amount of laps

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
Forgive me........I don't want to make too much out of this but I have to ask. The gentleman is asking what class he should be in as he wants to play by the rules and most folks are saying that it doesn't matter much for your first few times out....so.........why would it be a good idea for him to purposely mis-class himself?

Why not just put the car in the right class and be done with it. PAX will kill him either way so why cheat?

Like I said - i don't have a horse in this race and don't care but I was curious.

Dave

Go with SSM, there are not normally scales at the local SCCA track. You are only about 120 pounds under, I wouldn't sweat it. If you feel guilty, add a passenger. As a novice, nobody is going to nit-pick your classing till you start winning. Expect to get crushed by experienced drivers in Miatas, once PAX time calculations are performed. Oh, and I normally turn faster times with a passenger; either my ego is helping or my corner balance is better, you pick.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
DaveMK1,
You ask a good question, so let me give a more complete answer. His cars is massively short of modifications to compete XP class. His car matches SSM class (minus a few needed modifications) and minus about 120 pounds. All told, if he wants to see what his progress is over the next several meets, classing him closest to what he really (effectively) is, will produce the most comparable results. His wheels and tires are far to narrow to compete seriously in SSM class; they more than offset the fact he is light about 120 pounds. If he decides he wants to get hardcore with his racing, he can bolt in an extra 120 pounds (maybe less if he runs with a full tank of gas, I didn't see a fuel starve solution in his mix of upgrades). His closest class (time wise, upgrades versus class wise) is SSM. The only thing he needs for SSM is more pork and wider tires. The list of what he needs for XP is huge, and as such, the time handicap for XP (which is greater) will eat him alive and make him think he is not progressing as he should. But yes, if he wants to be spot-on for the rules sake, then XP is his class (due to low weight).

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I hear you and understand.

I don't think 'rules' are really rules if they are treated like suggestions. He's way under-prepped for XP that's for sure...........and at the same time he's way under weight for SSM. The classes are distinct and different and if the car falls short one one but over the other it's not cool to round down and take the easier class.

I think the thing to do in cases like this is not to cheat and rationalize it but instead run in the class where you should be and see how it goes. If the driver wants to stay in the game then he can tweak the car further to be fully prepped for his class or back the car off some to fall in an easier class.

I look at it this way........If I showed up with a car just like his, with the full amount of ballast needed to be legal in SSM and had to line up against someone that wasn't up to weight then I'd be pretty frustrated.

Thanks for chiming in. Now I know this guy just wants to go out and have fun and that we might be sucking the fun out of it from him and for this I apologize - I'm more looking at this in the big picture. One can't choose which rule they want to obey and which ones they want to toss out if they want to be on good terms with their fellow drivers.

Anyway - to the OP'r - go, have a great time and enjoy your car and the camaraderie. There are few ways to have a more fun day that driving your car hard with your friends. Good luck!

Dave

DaveMK1,
You ask a good question, so let me give a more complete answer. His cars is massively short of modifications to compete XP class. His car matches SSM class (minus a few needed modifications) and minus about 120 pounds. All told, if he wants to see what his progress is over the next several meets, classing him closest to what he really (effectively) is, will produce the most comparable results. His wheels and tires are far to narrow to compete seriously in SSM class; they more than offset the fact he is light about 120 pounds. If he decides he wants to get hardcore with his racing, he can bolt in an extra 120 pounds (maybe less if he runs with a full tank of gas, I didn't see a fuel starve solution in his mix of upgrades). His closest class (time wise, upgrades versus class wise) is SSM. The only thing he needs for SSM is more pork and wider tires. The list of what he needs for XP is huge, and as such, the time handicap for XP (which is greater) will eat him alive and make him think he is not progressing as he should. But yes, if he wants to be spot-on for the rules sake, then XP is his class (due to low weight).

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I just didnt want to be in the wrong class and piss anyone off.

All my mods:

VF2 SC with intercooler
Toyo R888 195/50/16-245/40/17 on LSS wheels
Ohlin 2 way shocks
BWR sway bar
2Bular new 4 to 1 header
2bular decat pipe
VF RS muffler
Kevin's Race Splitter
Difflow 5 Element Railer diffuser
APR side skirts
CL RC+5 pads
SRF Brake Fluid
SS brake lines
Radium Surge tank
Radium fuel rail
Radium catch Cans
Manly's motor mounts
Brail 11.5lb battery
ATC HDSS clutch
MWR Valves, springs and Ti retainers (5 angle valve job)
ARP head bolts/flywheel bolts
Sector 111's
Mono Ball bushings
V2 Arms
VLinks
gPan
Ultra Disks
RTD2brace
DBW Pedals
subStiffy
Track Rod Ends
Bullet Studs
Fidanza light weight flywheel

Taken to Team Stradale and had TJ Waszak do a corner balance/ ride height and alignment for autocross plus install ultra disks/pads/SS brake lines and mono balls and track rod ends

1 - 20 of 22 Posts