The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched my first local Solo event today and thinking about giving the cones a try.

My signature says all my mods except I am about to install a ReVeire rear wing and APR front splitter and side skirts

So with all my mods what class would I sign up for in SCCA Solo events?

Thanks Alan

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
You still have the original block, So you are SSM (the old SM2), unless your aero exceeds 8 square feet of surface, or extends past the front (except splitter) or the rear of the car.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
If he stays 275 width tires or less, he will require less than 200 pounds, which could be secured to the floor on the passenger side, while also improving corner balance. His biggest issue (in my opinion) is transmission. If he is still running the C64, then it is living on borrowed time. Should he upgrade to an E153 it will help him meet his weight goals with less ballast. The handicap for SSM class really isn't a lot worse than SS class already is. Super Stock (SS): 0.858, Super Street Modified (SSM): 0.879.
On a track he completes in 60 seconds, SSM pax time would be 52.74 seconds
On a track a stock Elise completes in 60 seconds SS pax would be 51.48 seconds
His car (as it sits) would likely be 1.5 seconds faster than stock (with a good driver).

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, sounds like I am in XP or SSM. I am running the OEM trans and gears but lighter flywheel and better clutch. My tune is conservative keeping stock trans in mind.

Is Solo events harder on the trans then track days with A6 or R6 tires?

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Yes, take the typical number of transitions (shifting, hard turns) per minute you experience on the big track, and multiply them by 4. BTW, I don't see any mention of sway bar in your modification list. If you don't have one, then consider the Black Watch Racing sway bar, which you will either tune to middle adjustment hole, or maybe one stiffer. A good sway bar helps the car settle faster on side to side transitions by limiting body roll further.
Many people have said (and I agree), the skills learned in autocross help with technique on the big track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts