The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a 1-owner Red 08 California Edition with 55,000 miles on it. I'm not sure of the condition yet, as I haven't see the car in person yet. They only made 25 of these, and there are at least 4 or 5 that have been totaled or have rebuilt titles. So that makes about 20 or so left.

What do you guys think is a fair price to pay for this car? Anything that I should specifically look for or when checking out the car? Thanks for all your help and advice.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I'm looking at a 1-owner Red 08 California Edition with 55,000 miles on it. I'm not sure of the condition yet, as I haven't see the car in person yet. They only made 25 of these, and there are at least 4 or 5 that have been totaled or have rebuilt titles. So that makes about 20 or so left.

What do you guys think is a fair price to pay for this car? Anything that I should specifically look for or when checking out the car? Thanks for all your help and advice.
Since it was really just paint and interior bits (and the "spoiler") I wouldn't think it would be much (if any) more than a comparable Elise with similar miles.

I'd have someone inspect it that knows the Lotus Elise well. Again, nothing special to look for other than the specific details that were unique to the California if that's important to you.

San

·
Registered
374 Posts
It's interesting to see relatively high mileage on a late model. Assuming it's N/A I would say low to mid 30's. Does the California have exige seats etc like the 60th anniversary?

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
I agree. 35 area if the car is good cosmetically. I think they were supercharged. One of our LOONYS has one. Nice car and regardless of what was said earlier the do command a premium.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I agree. 35 area if the car is good cosmetically. I think they were supercharged. One of our LOONYS has one. Nice car and regardless of what was said earlier the do command a premium.
They were not supercharged.

San

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Our LOONYs car is and it must be dealer installed.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
Our LOONYs car is and it must be dealer installed.
That's nice, but it doesn't change the value of a 2008 Lotus Elise California Edition, which would arguably be worth less if modified. The whole idea of it commanding a higher price is if it is original, as only a few were offered.

San

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
That's nice, but it doesn't change the value of a 2008 Lotus Elise California Edition, which would arguably be worth less if modified. The whole idea of it commanding a higher price is if it is original, as only a few were offered.

San
I disagree. Since it was a dealer installed option at the time of delivery, it only enhances what the car is. If it was a Sector 111 or a BWR, I agree that it would diminish its value, but dealer installed from new, I think there is no decrease in value, in fact I think it makes it worth more.

One can argue all day that Elan Sprints are just cosmetic and are not worth any more, or that the California is just cosmetic, which it was, but to say they dont command a premium, just not true. It is simply not the case. It is what it is. If it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck.

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts
Oh, One more thing, if you don't buy the car, let me know off list. I have someone looking for one. Will pay you a finders fee if he buys it.

·
** The Enforcer **
7,594 Posts
I disagree. Since it was a dealer installed option at the time of delivery, it only enhances what the car is. If it was a Sector 111 or a BWR, I agree that it would diminish its value, but dealer installed from new, I think there is no decrease in value, in fact I think it makes it worth more.
We'll agree to disagree.

The only value a California Edition would enjoy over a normal Elise IMHO would be the exclusivity of the limited numbers offered if it was genuine. Otherwise you could just add the options to any other Elise and claim it has more value. Whether the blower was added by a dealer or not it still wasn't part of the California Edition version to my knowledge.

True car collectors would probably remove the blower to return the car to stock. The blower isn't worth that much.

San

·
Premium Member
3,041 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Recently I saw a red 08 Elise SC sell for like 38k or something on ebay. Low miles too.
Based on that, I think an NA 08 with 50k is worth considerably less. Probably low 30s imo.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
If it's a factory OEM SC installed by the dealer I can see some value to it

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
"Prior to the release of the 2008 Elise SC, the limited production California Edition arrived at dealerships. A total of fifty California Edition Elises were produced; 25 in Saffron Yellow and 25 in Ardent Red. The interiors of the Cali's were produced in a light two-tone leather (Biscuit) and the exterior modifications included a silver front grille (a nod to vintage-Ferrari), body-colored shutter grills on the side inlets and engine cover, enhanced 16-spoke wheels, and a large spoiler that covers the upper-rear deck (72-D style). The Cali's were intended to appeal to "the lifestyle market."

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I ended up getting the 08 California Edition for $29,500. Great condition, just a few paint chips, but those can easily be touched up. The original owner traded it in and the dealer gave him $25,500. It has higher mileage then I would normally want in a car but for a limited edition, and that amazing California Edition interior, it's worth it!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 28 Posts