The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a little home brew I been working on.
Its a 2.6L DOHC V8 that will weigh less than a 2ZZ (Currently 120Lbs with block girdle) and put out an astounding amount of horsepower.
Uses a 2.5" stroke and a 3" bore.
Enjoy :cool:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, the engine on top uses different heads from the one on the bottom... I did not like the port geometry and it was to big. So I designed new ones seen in the lower picture.
These heads use a similar valve train setup as a B16/18 honda motor but without vtec... The port geometry on the lower heads are also very similar to a B18C5.
If you have questions, fire away :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its a 70 degree angle, 60 brings the cylinders too close for my liking and does not leave enough room for the block oil galley. If you look at the first picture you will notice this block has dual oil galleys. The lower feeds the main bearings/rod bearings and oil squirters not yet designed and the upper feeds the main bearings/rod bearings and the cylinder heads.

·
Super Moderator
5,454 Posts
Will a 70° angle work with a V8? I understood 90° was required for harmonic balance :shrug:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sure as hell will :) This is a flat plane V8 ;)
Crank looks like this,

Pistons and rods look like this,

Lots of Finite Element Analysis went into this, now if it were a cross plain V8 crankshaft I would not recommend such a steep angle unless you plan on tearing it down allot. But this angle and crank have been done before, to over 20,000Rpm. The engine I am designing really tops out at about 12,000 and is meant for the street.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Is this a joke? Honestly, Im asking since i took a few classes pertaining to ICE for my engineering degree. Im not trying to call you out, more like if your truly taking the time to fully develop an engine correctly, Im going to being singing your praises. Definately not an easy undertaking for one person, I imagine years of development for a one man team.

Do you have an engineering backgroud? Using Solidworks it seems, right?

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Uh... if you don't mind could you model a hottie go-go dancer for me?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is this a joke? Honestly, Im asking since i took a few classes pertaining to ICE for my engineering degree. Im not trying to call you out, more like if your truly taking the time to fully develop an engine correctly, Im going to being singing your praises. Definately not an easy undertaking for one person, I imagine years of development for a one man team.

Do you have an engineering backgroud? Using Solidworks it seems, right?
Pretty much yes, Lots of FEA...
This took me a little over two months so far. That includes figuring out all the geometry, the hardest part was the cylinder head geometry, ports, combustion chamber and especially rocker/valve/spring setup. I originally wanted to go with a Desmodromic Springless valve train but gave up due to the ultra complexities of the cam shapes

Most of the Design for this engine was copied from various motors, the Cosworth XB enigne, the Hayabusa and the B series Honda motors. I can honestly say as someone who has built engines in the past, I thought the components for engines were complex... This is not the case, the packing (IE block, heads,manifold) are way more complex than all the components put together. Especially the heads due to Geometry, water jackets, oil ports in, oil drain, Oil distribution and so on. Have a look.

Here we can see the complexities of water jackets in the heads, all the head bolts, oil drains, ports, ect have to be walled off from the water jacket which means this cannot be built from a solid, I started from the deck plain and built my way up.

Here you get a better look at the ports and all that work that went into keeping the water were it should be...

·
Registered
519 Posts
Pretty much yes, Lots of FEA...
This took me a little over two months so far. That includes figuring out all the geometry, the hardest part was the cylinder head geometry, ports, combustion chamber and especially rocker/valve/spring setup. I originally wanted to go with a Desmodromic Springless valve train but gave up due to the ultra complexities of the cam shapes

Most of the Design for this engine was copied from various motors, the Cosworth XB enigne, the Hayabusa and the B series Honda motors. I can honestly say as someone who has built engines in the past, I thought the components for engines were complex... This is not the case, the packing (IE block, heads,manifold) are way more complex than all the components put together. Especially the heads due to Geometry, water jackets, oil ports in, oil drain, Oil distribution and so on. Have a look.

Here we can see the complexities of water jackets in the heads, all the head bolts, oil drains, ports, ect have to be walled off from the water jacket which means this cannot be built from a solid, I started from the deck plain and built my way up.

Here you get a better look at the ports and all that work that went into keeping the water were it should be...

Yes, i agree the "small stuff" usually increases the complexity. Ill be interested to see how far you get with that engine, very impressive modeling thus-far.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
pretty impressive stuff - i think what tristar was getting at was not the modeling and ultimate fabrication - but the dyno, reliability, and tuning development. time consuming! but if you have the resources to develop it - awesome!!!

·
Registered
815 Posts
Reminds me of the custom V8s made from 2 hayabusa motors. They have stock hayabusa internals and heads, just a custom block.

Very nice! :bow:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cubic Dollars keep me from doing a lost foam injection molding... and building this.
The rods, pistons, valves, rocker arms, rocker shafts, valve guides and about 90% of the components already exist to make this engine.
Here is how it works, aftermarket Hayaubusa rods/pistons, Vtec killer rocker arms and cams from crain and oversized valves. Custom crankshaft...
Basically, the only thing holding me back would be the actual "meat" of the motor (IE, block and head, manifold and so on) I designed everything else to work with already made components. Thats why the piston and rod combo look exactly like a crower/wisco combo ;)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I seem to be having a nightmare of a time with the twin screw blower I wanted to design for this... Turns out those profiles are quite complex!
By the way, if anyone is interested I have an Edrawing file that is a slice out of the middle of this engine for prospective employers (looking for a CAD/draftsman job) that I would be happy to email you. You will need to download Edrawings which is free. It will give you a much more detailed idea of how much work I have done here, as well as provide you with some incite into just how much work goes into a motor.
Oil in, oil out, oil distribution, water in, water out, water distribution, air in, exhaust out... There is a lot more to this than suck, squish, bang, blow.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
That's really cool man, although I'd have been just happy enough if the Elise/Exige got a K20...ah well, the 2ZZ is still a nice motor...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts