The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i left a deposit at a dealer for my silver lotus due to arrive sometime end of summer. due to personal reasons I , to my discontent, will not be able to go through with purchasing the car. dealer placed my order and will lose my deposit. what are my options..
-take delivery and buy car and sell it right away..will i profit or lose?
- eat my 1000 deposit-not my best choice
- sell my postion on wait list/delivery to someone now..

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Other option- suck it up, get rid of whatever is making you not get the car, purchase the car and enjoy. Cars at this price and at this level of performance don't come around very often. This is a car worth sacrificing for.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Another option is to find someone with a much lower number and trade.

You can either do that and hope your situation changes in that time, or trade and then drop off the list, as the person you traded with will have paid you for the deposit and their depost should have been refundable.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Have you already asked your dealer to see if you can get your money back? I'm sure they can find someone to backfill your spot and wouldn't keep your deposit given your circumstances.

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
Or talk to the dealership and see what you can work out with them. Most would let you slide your position down a bit.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
transio said:
Or talk to the dealership and see what you can work out with them. Most would let you slide your position down a bit.
But he already ordered the car to spec. I imagine that the dealership wouldnt have any problem selling that car, but if the dealership wanted to be fusy about it, they could refuse to refund his deposit because the car is already ordered.

I think Randy's idea is better. But you should definetly talk to your dealer first.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
what dealership and what were the specs of your order? who knows...we may have a solution here waiting to happen.

·
Registered
368 Posts
What line # are you and at what dealer? i doubt car is built yet so it could be changed, in which case i'd be interested in your spot. send me email or pm for more discussion.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Modern Wedgie said:
But he already ordered the car to spec. I imagine that the dealership wouldnt have any problem selling that car, but if the dealership wanted to be fusy about it, they could refuse to refund his deposit because the car is already ordered.

I think Randy's idea is better. But you should definetly talk to your dealer first.
I believe the law says the dealer must actually show financial loss to be legally entitled to keep your deposit.

Of course in practicality, if the dealer stonewalls you, you might have no recourse other than small claims court or letting your local BBB know about your situation.

Anyone should be able to get their deposit back -- car ordered or not -- on a car that's this hot, except if maybe they ordered krypton green on blue interior with pink pinstripes or something ;).

These are the sorts of laws that keep programs like BMW Individual, as well as Elise options like black wheels, racing stripes and other "personalizing" add-ons out of the US... no dealers want to bear the risk of finding a buyer for odd-ball cars people ordered and walked away from.

Best,
John

·
Registered
357 Posts
Hey, what number did you order? I ordered silver as well... however, I'm not expecting mine until at least nov/dec.

I might consider either swapping slots or purchasing your car?

I ordered LSS. no Hard top. No Tour.

·
Registered
368 Posts
DrBill said:
i left a deposit at a dealer for my silver lotus due to arrive sometime end of summer. due to personal reasons I , to my discontent, will not be able to go through with purchasing the car. dealer placed my order and will lose my deposit. what are my options..
-take delivery and buy car and sell it right away..will i profit or lose?
- eat my 1000 deposit-not my best choice
- sell my postion on wait list/delivery to someone now..
You have a couple of PM's from me. Thanks!

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I can't imagine you wouldn't be able to sell the car at a profit after purchase with scant few miles on it. You'd probably make 3-4K. Heck, there are likely people on this board who would pay you a little premium to avoid the long wait. If I was #40 or lower, I'd jump at the chance to get your car for, say, a 2K premium. I can't be the only one, especiallygiven the reality on the slowness of the cars reaching our shores now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts