The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in search of some new rear rotors after discovering a crack in one of mine. Someone on another forum mentioned that the rear brake rotors are the same size/part as the front rotors on S2s with the non-AP brakes. If so, what size are the actual discs? None of the online shops seem to stock a rotor designated especially for the rear which leads me to believe this may be the case.

Also what do people recommend? The car is a street/track and the local track is extremely harsh on brakes. I was thinking of going with a 2-piece to avoid future warping and cracking, and NOT drilled.

thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
288-mm X 25.4-mm you can find them here 288mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Brake discs - Braking
I have these 308-mm discs on my Cup 260 308mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Brake discs - Braking
But I am planning on going to these 315-mm discs in the very near future... Elise Parts - Race Car Parts - Floating Bell Brake Discs
You are using the 308mm disc on the REAR as well as the front?

I should have mentioned my car is a toyota powered exige Cup 240 with the AP 308 on the front. I have found there is also a 296mm brake rotor available. Can this be used on the rear without spacing the caliper?

I was looking at the Ultradisc from Sector 111 as the price seems good for a two piece, otherwise my other option in Aus is a DBA 5000 (I think the ultradisc are better but a little more $$ with shipping to Aus).

Just need to know if its 288 or 296mm.

thanks

·
Registered
2008 Exige S240
3,072 Posts
My front UltraDisc's are wearing significantly faster that the rear ultradisc rotors. Both were installed at the same time using the same brand pad.
Can I swap the rears to the front and front to rear? I say "can" because I know it is not preferable or even safe, but I am simply trying to same some coin. The swept area is probably different, but this may not be a problem because after a few miles (50 miles?) the worn groove on the rotor face would wear/eat into the the softer pad material to create a flush surface between pad and rotor.
This may not be an issue depending on whether the swept area on the front and rear pads are the same though.

-Robert

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Pretty sure the swept area is different...

Also if you swap you'll be up for four new discs soon... if you just buy a single new set the rears will last for ages (on my car I am onto my third front and second rear). Another low cost option is to get the ultimax turbo discs I mentioned in my first post - they are cheaper than the rotors on their own...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My front UltraDisc's are wearing significantly faster that the rear ultradisc rotors. Both were installed at the same time using the same brand pad.
Can I swap the rears to the front and front to rear? I say "can" because I know it is not preferable or even safe, but I am simply trying to same some coin. The swept area is probably different, but this may not be a problem because after a few miles (50 miles?) the worn groove on the rotor face would wear/eat into the the softer pad material to create a flush surface between pad and rotor.
This may not be an issue depending on whether the swept area on the front and rear pads are the same though.

-Robert
I think from what I was reading, the rear ultradiscs are actually not the same as the front. They have eliminated the unswept surface that is present on the OEM rear rotor to reduce weight. Therefore it wont work on the front.

Are the ultradiscs 288mm on the rear?

Aedo, how are those turbo discs holding up on your car? I dunno, braking materials is something I have never wanted to skimp on, especially consdiering my local track chews through them.

·
Super Moderator
5,459 Posts
Aedo, how are those turbo discs holding up on your car? I dunno, braking materials is something I have never wanted to skimp on, especially considering my local track chews through them.
They are perfect for me (run them with Pagid RS42s). The first set of turbo discs lasted me over 25,000km (but only two track days, sadly)... my car is also an MY02 111S with 156bhp (but under 800kg) so the brakes have had an easy time.

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
You are using the 308mm disc on the REAR as well as the front?

I should have mentioned my car is a toyota powered exige Cup 240 with the AP 308 on the front. I have found there is also a 296mm brake rotor available. Can this be used on the rear without spacing the caliper?

I was looking at the Ultradisc from Sector 111 as the price seems good for a two piece, otherwise my other option in Aus is a DBA 5000 (I think the ultradisc are better but a little more $$ with shipping to Aus).

Just need to know if its 288 or 296mm.

thanks
There is no way of moving the OEM Brembo caliper outboard to fit anything larger than a 288-mm rear disc. If you want to keep the OEM Brembo, use the full floating discs I've provided a link for above. AP Racing has issued an installation drawing of how to float a disc and only Seriously Lotus and Elise Parts do it correctly...per drawing.

I will be upgrading both (all 4) to 315-mm discs...The Elise Parts link I've posted are lighter than even the 308s and the OEM... I will NOT be using the OEM rear Brembo caliper.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are perfect for me (run them with Pagid RS42s). The first set of turbo discs lasted me over 25,000km (but only two track days, sadly)... my car is also an MY02 111S with 156bhp (but under 800kg) so the brakes have had an easy time.
Ah yep, im using the RS14 which are supposed to eat the discs a bit more so maybe I will stay away from them (also my exige is a porky 930kg!)

There is no way of moving the OEM Brembo caliper outboard to fit anything larger than a 288-mm rear disc. If you want to keep the OEM Brembo, use the full floating discs I've provided a link for above. AP Racing has issued an installation drawing of how to float a disc and only Seriously Lotus and Elise Parts do it correctly...per drawing.

I will be upgrading both (all 4) to 315-mm discs...The Elise Parts link I've posted are lighter than even the 308s and the OEM... I will NOT be using the OEM rear Brembo caliper.
Thanks for the info. Im assuming you are using the 2 pot caliper on the rear - is the handbrake still operational with this swap?

Those Alcons look beautiful, although a bit more than what I want to spend (i'd like to keep it under 1K AUD). Likewise, the 315mm AP look great too - again assuming a spacer is required to make the 4 pot caliper centered over the swept area? What pads do you use in your Cup 260? I was thinking about switching to CL RC6 but they appear to be a lot harder on the rotors when running cold than the RS14s...

thanks

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
Yeah, I have the RS14s on my Cup 260 also...you have to replace the friction rings (rotors) every time you change your pads...it gets expensive.

With the 315-mm discs, I am planning on getting these calipers Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Calipers - EP Tuning 4 Pot Calipers The rears can be gotten with a hand brake feature as a special order...if you still need the hand brake...I was going to get that.

I have not weighed my Cup 260, but I understand mine weighs in at 817-Kg... lots of carbon fiber and no insulation of any kind.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
wow no messing around there. hmm that's worrying about the level of upkeep required with the rotors. how much track time are you getting out of your set up before replacement? do you race the car or street use as well?

817kg is very light! I haven't weighed mine either but unfortunately no carbon fibre on my car as the 240 was not afforded that being an older car. There is no insulation though, just a bit of carpet and the cage is currently not fitted so its probably closer to 900kg flat. It's running a larger TVS supercharger though so has the extra power to make up for it, its a fun car!

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
This is my car http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f3/lotus-elise-exige-u-s-production-figures-2005-2011-a-146442/index9.html#post2564010
I've got 14,500-Km on my car. I've replaced the front rotors to the full floating ones second time out on the track. My first time was with 129-Km on the clock. I did not change the pads. Today my car arrives at Baltimore, MD port in the US about 4:00 PM local time. My pads are just about worn out and my rotors are about 80% gone. One of the first things I will have to do change the brakes. I am Open Pro Auto-X champion in Bahrain and tracked the car about once a month at the Bahrain International Circuit (yes, the F-1 track). So it is tracked heavily...but also my daily driver. :D

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
So you are saying you got 14,500 kms out of the first set of discs?
Yup...but I am brutal on brakes! I am the 4th car out of pit lane, behind the three Porsche Cup cars in front. I pass two of the Porsches going into turn 11. Look how much faster my entry speeds into the corners are than even Porsche Cup cars. I was doing spark plug testing at the time...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts