The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again from Bend, Oregon. I am new to the forums and researching potential cars to purchase. I found one with an aftermarket supercharger but I can't tell what it is. I am hoping one of the experts here can weigh in with guidance.

Here are some photos.
Air gun Vehicle Trigger Shotgun Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Office equipment Engineering Auto part

Attachments

·
Registered
2005 Elise
358 Posts
This looks like the Katana Kit. This is a MP62 kit. If everything is factory, BOE sells a tune for these that is around 250 Crank hp. With an older tune probably slightly less than that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This looks like the Katana Kit. This is a MP62 kit. If everything is factory, BOE sells a tune for these that is around 250 Crank hp. With an older tune probably slightly less than that.
Thanks Kevin, you in good company - I emailed those same photos to Fred at BWR and he also concurred that it was the Katana kit, and it would be putting out about 200-210 to the wheels (235 to 245 crank horsepower). I then compared some photos of the Katana kit which seems to confirm Fred's assessment.

Any issues with this kit in terms of longevity or maintenance?

Jason

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the katana kit on my car and had to rebuild the super charger at 40k miles (resurface impellers) because a low quality air filter was fitted to the car. It was a high flow type foam filter but it did not seal properly at the edges and allowed debris into the intake. I would suggest verifying there is a paper type filter fitted to the car you are buying if you want to avoid this issue.

Also you should probably verify the fuel pump has been upgraded or replaced at some point. The katana kit came with upsized injectors that will stain the stock fuel pump, mine is about to need replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have the katana kit on my car and had to rebuild the super charger at 40k miles (resurface impellers) because a low quality air filter was fitted to the car. It was a high flow type foam filter but it did not seal properly at the edges and allowed debris into the intake. I would suggest verifying there is a paper type filter fitted to the car you are buying if you want to avoid this issue.

Also you should probably verify the fuel pump has been upgraded or replaced at some point. The katana kit came with upsized injectors that will stain the stock fuel pump, mine is about to need replacement.
this is great information. Thank you. I’m walking away as the seller is not negotiable on price and the car is not worth what he thinks it is worth. I’ve found that many sellers think the appreciation of these cars in the last 2 years is going to continue indefinitely. Many people don’t understand the current market.
Thanks for the details.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Curious how much he was asking for. Clean title and low miles go for ~$50k.

Given these cars are 3rd or 4th cars for many, market conditions don't impact this car segment as much as you would think; while it might have a Toyota engine, you aren't buying a Celica. shrug

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Curious how much he was asking for. Clean title and low miles go for ~$50k.

Given these cars are 3rd or 4th cars for many, market conditions don't impact this car segment as much as you would think; while it might have a Toyota engine, you aren't buying a Celica. shrug
He was asking $60k. The car had less than 10k miles but no service records, and the carfax suggested the car hadn't been serviced in 8 years. Nice car, not perfect (drilled front bumper for license plate, some oldschool chin protectors drilled into the bottom of the clamshell, etc. Would sell in the mid 50's I think.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts