The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,080 Posts
Enclosed shipping from Georgia would be $1000-1500.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
transio said:
So what exactly is the complaint here?
I think anyone with anything close to a complaint is dancing around the point, mincing words as not to offend anyone. FWIW, compared to other boards I frequent, Elisetalk is exceedingly polite -- possibly to the point where otherwise healthy debate is being avoided. (Not in the case of this "issue," but in other matters that could benefit from more poking and prodding.)

I think this is what people want to write, but aren't:

- "Chris didn't deserve the first car. I did. If I had an Elise -- any Elise, the first or the 100th -- I'd cherish it forever. If you like motorcycles so much, why don't you marry one."

Or...

- "Perhaps, son, you should have thought about the realities of owning an expensive car before you got yourself in this mess." (To be read in the voice of Hugh Beaumont.)

I'll close by saying that I think it's rather absurd that a single individual's financial situation has become a matter of public debate. But that's the Internet for you. These so-called virtual communities have downsides as well. As for my take on the situation, I'm disillusioned that Chris is selling the car -- I'd like to live in a world where cars are more important that motorcycles -- but I give him props for finagling six-seven months of what I'm sure is glorious Elise ownership. All for a very small rental fee, when all is said and done.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Damn dude ! I wasn't expecting to see this thread ...

If funds allow, will you be looking to get another Elise ? Or are you Lotused out ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
re: Shipping Cost

Thanks for reply to my question.
I just receice two quotes
$1820 ( Passport Transport)
$1780 (Intercity)
To pick up myself it will be a three long days drive !!
On day left on eBay, still undecided.
Will it be a special collective, as the FIRST DELIVERED (but #28)?

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
If you like motorcycles so much, why don't you marry one."
To bikers, that is not an unreasonable comment. Riding is a passion bordering on pathology, it worms itself in your life like nothing else.

JonM3Coupe said:

I'll close by saying that I think it's rather absurd that a single individual's financial situation has become a matter of public debate.
...I give him props for finagling six-seven months of what I'm sure is glorious Elise ownership. All for a very small rental fee, when all is said and done.
Ding Ding, on both counts. We need to grow up and get over it.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Re: re: Shipping Cost

rolandchen said:
Thanks for reply to my question.
I just receice two quotes
$1820 ( Passport Transport)
$1780 (Intercity)
To pick up myself it will be a three long days drive !!
On day left on eBay, still undecided.
Will it be a special collective, as the FIRST DELIVERED (but #28)?
special because it's the 1st US elise?

I wouldn't think so. Maybe someday the LAST Elise will be worth something more...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
babak said:
To bikers, that is not an unreasonable comment. Riding is a passion bordering on pathology, it worms itself in your life like nothing else.

Ding Ding, on both counts. We need to grow up and get over it.
Exactly. I understand Chris' situation (even if it's none of my business) because I've had to drop other hobbies or alter what I do in order to cover the expense of the Elise.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
JonM3Coupe said:
If you like motorcycles so much, why don't you marry one.
That's why I'm still single. I once had a girl friend say, "I don't want you riding motorcycles anymore. It's too dangerous if we're going to get married. It's the bike or me."

Needless to say, I traded her in for a newer model. :)

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Allan Gibbs said:
That's why I'm still single. I once had a girl friend say, "I don't want you riding motorcycles anymore. It's too dangerous if we're going to get married. It's the bike or me."

Needless to say, I traded her in for a newer model. :)
Be careful. I was a confirmed bachelor and met my wife to be when I was 32.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
jml1952 said:
Be careful. I was a confirmed bachelor and met my wife to be when I was 32.
Me too. I'm just waiting for her to graduate high school. :eek:

Seriously, I'm in the near-engaugement stage. My girlfriend (same age as I am- 32) isn't fond of motorcycles and claims to like cars. She really doesn't but I give her major points for trying.:)

·
Registered
970 Posts
looks like chris' car sold for abit over 40K... he didnt get msrp for it...does anyone else know someone who has sold elise and lost money(not including tax)??...I tend to not keep cars for more than 3 yrs hence I am abit worried about buying a loaded elise...my other cars have held their value quite well but Im guessing when I sell I will lose big on this car despite keeping the miles very low.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
mact3333 said:
looks like chris' car sold for abit over 40K... he didnt get msrp for it...does anyone else know someone who has sold elise and lost money(not including tax)??...I tend to not keep cars for more than 3 yrs hence I am abit worried about buying a loaded elise...my other cars have held their value quite well but Im guessing when I sell I will lose big on this car despite keeping the miles very low.
it's a used car... only a fool would pay msrp, no?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Congrats to Chris - got about 6 months of fun in and recouped most of the cost. Hope you stay on the board - admired the grace with which you handled your notoriety as Elise US #1.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
ChrisStarrUSA said:
Congrats to Chris - got about 6 months of fun in and recouped most of the cost. Hope you stay on the board - admired the grace with which you handled your notoriety as Elise US #1.
Now, if the guy who bought it, winds up putting it in the Barrett-Jackson Auction later this month
and gets in the 'fiftys' because of its pedigree, Chris will have to let out a heavy 'gosh, darn!'

·
Registered
529 Posts
mact3333 said:
I think as long as they are available, they will depreciate just like every other car. But, once the redesign happens (especially if they "fatten" the car up a bit, change styling, etc) I think the prices on used "1st generation Feds" will begin to rise.

I think many people are now willing to wait to get a new one at MSRP, rather than pay big $$$ now for a used one. I think once all the "waiver Elises" are built, you then have a set number and if you want one, you'll need to pay extra $$$ for it (since you're dealing then with a set number of cars).

Just my $.02

41 - 60 of 61 Posts