The Lotus Cars Community banner

141 - 160 of 160 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Anyone know what it costs to set up a forum like this? I am a member of a Yahoo Group which is looking for a new home.

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
Anyone know what it costs to set up a forum like this? I am a member of a Yahoo Group which is looking for a new home.
I looked into this a few months ago when my Yahoo group needed to emigrate. We eventually decided to keep the Email list format and went to io. However, when I was looking at forum options, I came across ProBoards which is free. I'm not sure about the ability to transfer content or bandwidth limits though.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Sure looks different, but I still see a lot of influence from both Randy's years and mine as Admin. Just stopped in to say 'Hi'!!

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Well it is not what it was. Sooo many views but little responses when asking about issues. I remember the times when a question was asked it was answered with great results immediately. Not any more.Now it is new people asking questions that have been answered many times. I will share my experience and knowledge freely but something has been lost. I guess I am just reminiscing about the decade past. When I could not wait to see what was posted every day, becomes "whatever" nothing really valuable. I hope I am wrong as new owners deserve that comittment to helping each other.The long time members still need to contribute. Maybe pipe dream. Tommy

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
To me the heyday of this site was when a bunch of us were getting serious about tracking our brave little cars. So much good information and experience. No way would I ever have been able to have that great life experience without this site.

And you could ask a question about anything even non automotive and someone would know the answer. Anything.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,655 Posts
And you could ask a question about anything even non automotive and someone would know the answer. Anything.
FaceBook (and other social media platforms) have taken over that 'duty'. 👨‍👨‍👦‍👦

·
Premium Member
2,170 Posts
You can't pin all the change on other social media. A big part of the problem are the changes to this site itself.

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
These sites had the advantage of being much easier to search. Now people start new threads for topics that have already been well discussed. Sure it’s fun to start up a thread of your own but not when it’s already there.

I continue to come here, occasionally might share some experience. And the idea of another new Lotus in the garage is still something I’d like to do. I remember waiting for the Evora to be released and that same anticipation is here again. Let’s hope that “True character” comes ‘round again.

·
473 Posts
I'm still a relative newcomer and was on old site as well. I find it easy to find anything if I just google it and if you don't find what you need just reword your search. Too many want the easy/lazy rote of asking someone for an answer. Well google and you can skip right to the most current posts that way and then rekindle that post if needed. That shows at least you're aware of whats been posted previously. As far a new and innovating there's a couple of guys on here with builds where nobody's gone before and I'm in total awe of their skills mental and with machinery. Since being a lurker before joining I looked forward to new ideas, builds and info every time I log on! LT rocks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was shocked when I came back here after years away. The number of ads and the level of obtrusiveness is grotesque. It's hard to imagine anyone feeling any sense of community at a site so focused on squeezing out nickels. I sold my Lotus so I don't really care that much, but I do drop in every now and then to see what is going on. You really can't go back home though.

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Still as bad as ever. lmao
I see other forums have gone to this horror format. mazda3revolution and crzforum. lol
Randy, why for you sell this forum!?

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,655 Posts
I'm kinda used to the new format. The administrators ARE trying to improve it.

For example, you can now display your current Lotus in your Avatar. Account Settings> Account Details>Vehicle Details.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You can't pin all the change on other social media. A big part of the problem are the changes to this site itself.
Not entirely the fault of social media, but with the advent on multiple platforms and less interest, the old automotive forums are a dying bread. I was on Honda-Tech in 2000 when it was invaluable resource to everyone, now the only active subforum is the general discussion forum. Basically the layout of a forum doesn't necessarily dictate the activity - the general inactivity in these older forums is most likely attributed to lack of interest and that the information is readily available from a quick google search.

If one wants to keep the activity going, I would recommend that new posts on a topic already covered aren't responded to with an instant "search you wanker, it's already been covered". A simple reminder, and better yet some actual information goes a long way.

One of my first interactions on this site was from a user not willing to share some valuable information on a quite common topic. Fortunately other members chimed in and expressed a similar concern about the lack of 'community support'. The thread was cleaned up, but was a good example of how negative reactions and responses can quickly drive people away. The world is a divisive enough place as it is, we don't need that in the automotive forums.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Sure looks different, but I still see a lot of influence from both Randy's years and mine as Admin. Just stopped in to say 'Hi'!!
Great to see you RacyTracy!! I still have my '06 Elise after you showed me the one you owned way back!

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Still as bad as ever. lmao
I see other forums have gone to this horror format. mazda3revolution and crzforum. lol
Randy, why for you sell this forum!?
McLaren Life too

·
Such Moderate
6,775 Posts
Whoa, the OG that gave me a job here :)

It's been a while! Hope all is well.

I was shocked when I came back here after years away. The number of ads and the level of obtrusiveness is grotesque. It's hard to imagine anyone feeling any sense of community at a site so focused on squeezing out nickels. I sold my Lotus so I don't really care that much, but I do drop in every now and then to see what is going on. You really can't go back home though.
Unfortunately ads are taking over freaking everything. That's why more and more people are running adblocker. I run pi-hole myself and it's nice not seeing any ads, plus it speeds things up!

141 - 160 of 160 Posts