The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just realized that my '91 MR2's airbag is way past the 9 or 10 year lifespan of an airbag of that era.

Has anyone else done anything about their old airbags?

·
Puff Daddy
3,872 Posts
I just realized that my '91 MR2's airbag is way past the 9 or 10 year lifespan of an airbag of that era.

Has anyone else done anything about their old airbags?
I'd probably take it out into the desert and shoot at it.

But that's what we do around here :shrug: :wave:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I used to work on toyotas for a living and never seen one go bad. I think that was just a liability thing to cover their rear. I've seen several air bags on older toyotas go off properly if they were hit right. As long as the light is not on, I wouldn't think any more about it.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
It probably still works. I wouldn't worry about it and just leave them be...at least that is what we have done but that isn't saying much - to each their own opinion when it comes to safety.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I used to work on toyotas for a living and never seen one go bad. I think that was just a liability thing to cover their rear. I've seen several air bags on older toyotas go off properly if they were hit right. As long as the light is not on, I wouldn't think any more about it.
Exactly.

They last a lot longer that the time stated in the books as long as nothing has been abused. I'm not worrying about it on my older cars.

But if you really want to get rid of one, don't take it out to the desert and shoot it, shoot it off in stead. Run some wires to it, and from a distance, connect the wires to a battery and watch it blow. :evil: :nanner:

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Exactly.

They last a lot longer that the time stated in the books as long as nothing has been abused. I'm not worrying about it on my older cars.

But if you really want to get rid of one, don't take it out to the desert and shoot it, shoot it off in stead. Run some wires to it, and from a distance, connect the wires to a battery and watch it blow. :evil: :nanner:
They actually have a special button to do this. If you guys want I will pull up the article from ALLDATA on how to destroy air bags :)

But I wouldnt worry about the air bag being old. The also tell you not to reuse airbags from different cars and buy new ones :shrug: reusing air bags always worked for me :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Exactly.

Sounds like someone played with model rockets as a boy. Yup, me too. I like this solution too.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I dont really believe in Darwin.. But I guess he is at work

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
I'm sorry, are you new to this planet?
Well, Im 21.. Never in my life have I thought of anything like this.. Or anything from Jackass.. I guess the way I was raised is better then this...

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Sounds like someone played with model rockets as a boy. Yup, me too. I like this solution too.
Why yes, I did...:D

I've always been a Nerd.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts