The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

What to do in Hong Kong?

2K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  LotusSG2057 
#1 ·
As you can see what the title states, what should I do over there. I will be over there for vacation. This will be my first time in Hong Kong. I am leaving this afternoon. Also, (acting like a little kid ;) ) any good places for car spotting :drool: Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated. I hope everyone has a fun and safe holiday!

Cheers,
Sam

#3 ·
Go to a tailor and get some stuff made! Eat dim sum. Shop. Ride the touristy ferry boat and double decker bus. Go to the peak. Walk the small alleys and corridors and take lots of photos. Work both the island and land side. I did HK for 4 days every 6 weeks when I lived in Northern China. Lots of fun. If you have extra time take a ferry to one of the outer islands for seafood lunch.

I also went to the ship provisioners to get meat to smuggle back into China but you probably don't need to do that ;-)

#8 ·
Drink with the rest of the Xpats and pick up air waitresses! That's what I did.

#9 ·
Shamshuipo for cheap electronic stuff including LED light rings! Or langham place mall for shopping

#10 ·
If you get sick of Chinese food (I did) there are both Burger King and McDonalds available. In HK, Burger King is thought of as a far higher class restaurant. I don't know why.

Copy watches with a gold tone will wear to the silver metal in a month. They all will tell you that it will last 3 years. It won't.

Seikos are actually a great deal. Plenty of back ally dealers who have real ones. If you show an interest in pearls, the price will drop about 30%. I bought one after having shopped in the Carribean, New York, Boston and Switzerland. The opening price was better than anywhere else. Yes, there are fake Seikos, so know the exact model you want and know it like the back of your hand.

If you bring home a fake Rolex and are caught by US customs, your choice is to admit it's a copy and be arrested or claim it's a real Rolex and you forgot. They'll price it at $20k and you'll pay 10% tax plus a fine. But you likely won't go to jail.

The subway system is really good. You can get tourist prepaid cards. You pay by how far you're going.

I agree to go up the to the peak and have dinner. I think it's a cog railway (I was there in 91....can't remember).

#11 ·
Find Lan Kwan Fong (LKF) and party for a while.

Peak is nice but touristy. Food at the peak is terrible, but view is spectacular.

If you have never eaten in a traditional Chinese restaurant you should. The menu is a trip and a half. Find some friends and go, eating alone is no fun in a Chinese restaurant.

Find a noodle restaurant. Mak's is a great choice, there are a number of them. Prepare to be crowded, don't care, eat the wonton soup and Chinese broccoli and leave happy.

Find a meat restaurant and eat some spare ribs standing up. Leave happy.

Going to the mall is not a bargain anymore. Mainland Chinese flock to HK to buy real Western goods instead of fakes back home, so prices aren't cheaper than in the US. But going to a 15 story mall itself is a hoot just to experience it. Try the Times Square mall, I'm not kidding, and shop in the watch stores nearby. You can get good prices on Seiko's and many other real watches.

The metro will take you to many islands, try them.

Avoid Stanley market, it's a shoddy fleamarket aimed at tourists.

Take a walk in Stanley park. Lovely.

If you have friends have them take you to a seafood restaurant. Pick your fish and have it served to you 20 minutes later.

After you go to the peak on the tram, take a walk up the rest of the hill. There is a great nature preserve and park UP from the peak that you can walk, with views both to the harbor and towards Aberdeen.

Ride all the way up on the world's longest escalator and walk down. Look it up, it's pretty cool.

Go to Kowloon on a Saturday morning and find the pet store street, the electronics street, and walk a few miles up Nathan road.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, but I did all that and liked it quite a bit.

#14 ·
I'd say Kowloon Walled City, but you've probably left it a bit late.

#17 ·
Good to hear man. See any exotic cars there like Pagani, Lotus, Koenigsegg... BUT too many people lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.