The Lotus Cars Community banner

Tire replacement option

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Once again, rear A048's are 1-2 days away from being toast and front are fine but they are getting old (bought used last yr and got slightly hosed due to old productiuon dates but price was good). Current fronts will have 11 heat cycles still almost 6/32nds)and rears will have 15 heat cycles~3/32nds
Would you to carry me to end of season ?? 3 more track days
1. buy more A048's for rear only
2. buy rear R888's
3. Find used rear rubber and start fresh all around next spring
Almost impossible to find rears this time of year in good shape
I keep getting half shot fronts with new rears, last time it resulted in bent front rim from understeer into a curb at NHIS.
Curious to see what the the community thinks on this topic that any track person deals with

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Never mix tire types front/rear. Sometimes it can be OK, but sometimes you can end up with very unstable handling (and I don't know how to predict what you'll end up with). I've experienced this myself on a different car, the car was squirrelly on the freeway, downright scary to drive, I rushed out and bought two more tires to have a complete set of all the same type.

·
Registered
821 Posts
just make sure the rears are as grippy as the fronts.

The Genius who owned my elise before me, put Kumho ASX's on the rear. so I had a tail happy mid-engined car...that's scary.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Are the fronts loosing grip even with decent tread, due to age? If so, maybe a tire softener is in order for the fronts. I've done this on race bikes with a fresh rear and it worked out well.

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fronts are old, prod dates 04 so they're toast at end of year and they also have 11 heat cycles. Rears are down to 3/32nds and 15 heat cycles, did quite well Monday in heat at LRP (85+), but things just got a lot easier as I thought SCDA would have 3 more dates I'd run- 2 at WGI and 1 at LRP in October, but the 2 WGI dates are cancelled so I only have to deal with 1 more day. Am definitely going with 4 new tires next spring (hopefully the improved R888's (BTW when does that production start?). Then, we'll see about what else gets done during winter ie SC fo9r just 5700cam changeover. Contrary to many, I love the dual personality of the car with the cam changeover, just need to be able to pull uphill in 4rth at LRP instead of cresting hill at 7500+rpm!
I've already experienced the dreaded dead front A048's and while the softener idea is a real good one if they were current season rubber, considering I pd ?700 for all four sticker tires 2 seasons ago I can't complain.
Never heard this mentioned by anyone on this site before, what's the stuff called???

·
Premium Member
7,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This is great to know. May try even this fall on these older tires to see who well it works. Thanx!!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Never mix tire types front/rear. Sometimes it can be OK, but sometimes you can end up with very unstable handling (and I don't know how to predict what you'll end up with). I've experienced this myself on a different car, the car was squirrelly on the freeway, downright scary to drive, I rushed out and bought two more tires to have a complete set of all the same type.
2nd!

Did that last month. Used R888's up front new full tread RA1's in the back. Was the worst handling I've ever felt in a vehicle. I really don't see how that was the problem, but it was. I though my suspension was off or something.

Hell my 12,000lb truck handled better on the track than that combination on the Lotus.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts