The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
*inner turmoil*

Do I replace my poor, dead 2007 Storm Ti Exige S, buy an 08 stormtrooper, or buy a BMW 135i?

I'm coming closer and closer to purchasing a 135i loaded up with my favorite options. I test drove the car, and it's quick, relatively light, and responsive. It's also extremely quiet and refined inside. I can also get 410 HP out of it for $1200 (ECU mod and an air cleaner). I didn't get to push the car too hard on the test track, but I think I like it.

BMW pros:
less likely to get sideswiped into a tree in the rain
price
insurance
zero maintainence warranty
brand new, off the assembly line
cruise control
quiet inside
comfy as hell
relatively light
better Pwr/W ratio (at 410 hp)

BMW Cons:
Not a Lotus
does not sound like an airplane (I miss her, it hurts:()
does not handle as well as my Lotus
has heated seats (and I might want them :( )
may be understeery
may not be cheap if it makes me want to buy an Elise or Exige
will make me a huge reject on the Lotus forums, and the BMW forums suck.
does not look as cool as my Lotus

Argh! What do I do, Lotustalk?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Wait for the Evora!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What's the latest price on that (the 09)?

And for the record: I enjoy a tooth chipping suspension on a potholey highway, the complete lack of anything other than bucket seats and an engine, sitting on the floor, cringing when I see a line of tar on the road, being able to drive under parking garage gates.

Evora... psh.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It's not all about power/weight ratios, massive horsepower and comfy seats.

If it were, Lotus would have been gone a long time ago.

I don't much care for the 135 cars. Poor value for the money, heavy, and a classic example of product management overkill.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charlie: Oh hi there, I checked the books, and I can give you that brand new 2009 stormstrooper S240 for $45K, and we can cheat on the taxes! Also, I have an extra Quaife LSD cluttering up my desk drawer, I'll throw that in too. Also, I made you a pie. It's blueberry.

Me: Charlie! You're the best!

*puppies crap rainbows*

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not all about power/weight ratios, massive horsepower and comfy seats.

If it were, Lotus would have been gone a long time ago.

I don't much care for the 135 cars. Poor value for the money, heavy, and a classic example of product management overkill.

Regards,
Wayne
I think the 135i is pretty light (3200 for the coupe) for a 410 HP car (with chip). It's weighs the same as a corvette after being packed with a huge number of features. The twin turbo inline 6 is a pretty nice powerplant, it delivers freakishly linear torque even after re-chipping it. It also handles pretty nicely for its size and weight. It definately does not lack handling.

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Get an S260!

·
Registered
475 Posts
Charlie: Oh hi there, I checked the books, and I can give you that brand new 2009 stormstrooper S240 for $45K, and we can cheat on the taxes! Also, I have an extra Quaife LSD cluttering up my desk drawer, I'll throw that in too. Also, I made you a pie. It's blueberry.

Me: Charlie! You're the best!

*puppies crap rainbows*

That's funny as hell, but I thought we were going with the blueberry scented markers....lol

As for the S260, Lotus is only bringing over 50, I have an Ardent Red one on the way :drool:

I sent you a PM

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sent you one back. And naturally, I assumed the pie would contain blueberry marker ink...

I am not in the S260 price range...

The 09 S240 stormtrooper has me asking the question: which kidney do I use more?

Maybe a better title would have been "what to do for under 51K"

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I normally don't chime in this type of thread but I can tell you I Instruct for Chinmotorsports out here in the east and it has afforded me the opportunity to drive alot of different types of vehicles including the mentioned Bimmer and Maybe it is just me but, I normally feel as if I just got done Hog wrestling when I step out of a students car and get into my little Lotus - I have been forever spoiled by Colin Chapmans Philosophies ;)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I normally don't chime in this type of thread but I can tell you I Instruct for Chinmotorsports out here in the east and it has afforded me the opportunity to drive alot of different types of vehicles including the mentioned Bimmer and Maybe it is just me but, I normally feel as if I just got done Hog wrestling when I step out of a students car and get into my little Lotus - I have been forever spoiled by Colin Chapmans Philosophies ;)
I know it isn't a Lotus :mad:

I think it may be the next best new car for under 50K, but feel free to make suggestions. I <3 test drives.

Nissan 370z = epic fail. <throws up>

Porsche Carrera = meh.

Evo = Mitsubishi who? They're all out of business near me, and jerks about test drives. Underwhelmed with the dealerships.

WRX STi = poor mans evo. Not interested.

I was impressed by the 135i though, it seems to handle well, it's 50-50 F/R balance, RWD, nicely trimmed... and when loaded up with adaptive steering, optional suspension, short shift, etc, it drives nicely. Throw some more ideas this way though.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
Take a pass on the adaptive steering. The BMW's steering is numb compared to the Lotus', but it is quite good for a powered system. The adaptive steering takes you even further from what you're leaving in the Lotus and I have yet to read a good review of it.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Take a pass on the adaptive steering. The BMW's steering is numb compared to the Lotus', but it is quite good for a powered system. The adaptive steering takes you even further from what you're leaving in the Lotus and I have yet to read a good review of it.
I actually have the adaptive steering in my 335i. It's great for a daily driver. Really comes in handy in parking lots and tight city situations. I would not get another BMW (DD sedan) without it.

Nothing compares to the elise steering however. :shift:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts