The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to purchase a V8 Esprit. Hoping to get a good car. Definitely not looking to automatically pick the low hanging fruit, but don’t want to overpay either. Any suggestions or help much appreciated. I had a 1991 Esprit SE back in the day. Only major issue was fuel tank-s leaking. Otherwise pretty reliable. Oh yea, clutch went out too.
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have a nice V8 on eBay at the moment, but would rather sell to someone in the Lotus community. Details below.

LHD, Black interior and exterior with 37k miles. 171 built in 2000 and this is one of 91 imported to the USA.

Standard options for this model year including AP Racing brakes at the front, Brembo's at the rear, AP Racing Twin plate Clutch, glass roof plus several upgrades: silenced center exit exhaust,200 CPI Cats, Optima Red Top battery, RC Injectors, K&N Air filters, 2003 shifter knob, Sport 350 spoiler, door sill trims, Koni Dial-a-Rides, iPhone hook-up.

C service done at the dealership upon purchase in 2012, new tires and rear brake pads around the same time. Timing belts were replaced with Gates belts around the 3 year point and were checked and tensioned in between. New AC 2 years ago. New coil packs, HT Leads and plugs 2018. No leaks or cylinder liner issues (first engine to use the revised sealant/assembly technique). Oil changed every year prior to storage. Fully documented service history with receipts.

Bodywork is about 8/10 with a couple stone chips and some abrasion on the drivers door (looks like it was opened against a wall at some point). Interior is in great shape. Leather has been well looked after and shows little to no wear. Heater matrix is bypassed. Previous owner said it got too hot in the cabin so he re-plumbed it. I only drive it the summer so I left it as-is.

Located in Plymouth, Minnesota and can be inspected at the buyer’s cost at any time. There are a couple of local shops that will do a pre-purchase inspection and I am happy to help facilitate.

Always garaged and covered. Includes 2 sets of keys & fobs, immobilizer key, spare mats, cover, trickle charger, service manual, spreadsheet containing service history,receipts and additional information.

The legal stuff:
Clean title on hand. $500 deposit to secure the sale, balance via electronic transfer within 7 days. No warranty expressed or implied. Buyer is responsible for all shipping arrangements.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Could be wrong...97 V8 only year with boost gauge on dash. Since you've had Lotus before, hard to say what to look out for. Inspect suspension and mounts and shocks up on lift and get a little oil...send out for oil analysis. Check tire dates. ?Take tires off when going up on lift, see how thick brake pads are? Look out for worn nylon gears in the headlight motors. Use pyrometer on each exhaust after engine nice and hot to see if one bank is significantly different temp. Inspect flow of coolant with radiator cap off and engine running. I feel like I'm just saying standard stuff to you. I feel like any Esprit is getting old enough that mileage is not much of an issue anymore...but service documents sure are...and very few miles means the car's been sitting maybe too much

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, early v8s had the huge boomerang dash. MY98 onward had the tidier version, but yes, no boost gage. The rest of the Standard stuff I agree with. Early v8’s had issues with cylinder liner leakage and were susceptible to transmission failure. Later V8’s had the twin plate clutch, new sealant during assembly and seem to be more reliable. Avoid chipped cars unless they have forged internals and upgraded clutch/gearbox. i kept mine fairly stock with a few minor upgrades to improve breathability. Seems to be doing ok. I only drive it at weekends, and the driving season is pretty short up here. I change the oil every year before storage and keep the regular maintenance up to date. I have afull history with receipts during my ownership. Happy to answer any questions. Graham

1 - 4 of 4 Posts