The Lotus Cars Community banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
A little bit more scientific, but still redneck a bit is to use a bathroom scale. If your trailer is light enough that the 15% tongue weight is in range for the scale you can do it direct. If not, put the center of the scale two feet to the left of the tongue with a small piece of 2x4 or similar in the center. Then put a chunk of wood 2 feet to the right of the tongue roughly the same height as the scale and wood. Then put a 4 foot board between the two and set the tongue on it. Whatever the scale reads, double it and that is your tongue weight.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Good info, I'll have to see what the bathroom scale goes up to. Car and trailer should be around 3400 lbs so 10 - 15% is 340 - 510 lbs. Definitely using the half foot on scale method. :)

·
Illegal Alien
4,716 Posts
And you are 2 seconds faster on track if you know you have a way home other than your car :)
Soo true. My single biggest drop in times occurred in the 90's after I purchased my first trailer. No worries, and further I just don't understand how one can competitively drive a DD on the track. But I have seen it done in SCCA Showroom Stock.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
Bumping this up. Considering a trailer for my Exige on track days.

Tow vehicle: 2011 Porsche Cayenne S

Would be doing overnight trips for the most part, exception being Lime Rock. NJMP, Watkins, etc from CT.

I'm thinking about a 16' open probably makes the most sense. Looking for convenience.

Not bringing extra tires or anything.

Only thing I'm concerned about is rock chips and other wear from highway debris being kicked up?

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Always torsion suspension if you have a choice.
The less the trailer stresses the tow vehicle, the more you can tow.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
How about rock chips with an open trailer? Is it a big concern or does it not catch chips up on a trailer as much?

21 - 28 of 28 Posts