Votes: 22 36.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,
Been away for a little while; relocating to the East Coast, getting used to the new job and prepping the new house for our baby (July!) has definitely postponed my original plans to replace the Elise (sold 10/2011) and contribute much to the community.

I've been shopping for a little while, and I've got it down to these requirements:
- need to fit baby seat
- need to not be a "downgrade": power-weight and design
- need to be manual
- only for track / street (have daily driver already)
- price range $30k - $45k

I've narrowed it down to E92 coupe M3, 996 turbo or 997 C2S.
Any other options / suggestions? Pitfalls with my current selection? Definitely add to the list!

·
Registered
736 Posts
I would price out a 2013 Shelby GT500. Dealers are just starting to get theirs in and/or they're in transit. I just did over the weekend and it was $65K (CDN). I'm sure the 'American price' will be lower and possibly within that budget of yours. This thing is going to be nuts. Originally it was going to have 650hp and 600torque. Which is awesomeness on its own, being that its a 100hp bounce over last year's. But the final numbers it has now are: 662hp and 632torque. It's now got a supercharged 5.8L V8 instead of the last 5.4L, lighter curb weight, carbon fiber driveshaft, better suspension, etc. And of course room for your baby seat. It's going to be intense. Wicked bang for the buck. For that power only at that price, ya can't go wrong. No performance specs that I've seen that are official. But in the past few years, the other ones that have around 112hp LESS, have been low 4 secs in the 0-60 sprint. This new one should be either 4 secs or high 3's. Enough room for the wife, baby and the groceries. ;) And can still take it as it is to the track on weekends.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
997s for 45k?
Yep - there are plenty to be had; most are 40-70K mileage, but definitely doable. The local Porsche dealer had one for $41,500, but I decided against silver.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would price out a 2013 Shelby GT500.
I think most of the GT500's will be around $55K+, once you factor in tax/delivery charges. I have also vowed never to get a brand new car - the depreciation hit is not worth being the first kid on the block.

However, you bring up a good point - would a 302 BOSS be just as good? They are lighter with less power and seem more "track oriented". Does anybody have experience with one of those?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yep - there are plenty to be had; most are 40-70K mileage, but definitely doable. The local Porsche dealer had one for $41,500, but I decided against silver.
Woah. Get the 997. For that price it would be the only option for me. For some reason I figured you'd have to pay 55 or something.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Lowball and you can get a 2010 evora with miles for 45k. Princeton had one that sold for even less than that.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I would price out a 2013 Shelby GT500. Dealers are just starting to get theirs in and/or they're in transit. I just did over the weekend and it was $65K (CDN). I'm sure the 'American price' will be lower and possibly within that budget of yours. This thing is going to be nuts. Originally it was going to have 650hp and 600torque. Which is awesomeness on its own, being that its a 100hp bounce over last year's. But the final numbers it has now are: 662hp and 632torque. It's now got a supercharged 5.8L V8 instead of the last 5.4L, lighter curb weight, carbon fiber driveshaft, better suspension, etc. And of course room for your baby seat. It's going to be intense. Wicked bang for the buck. For that power only at that price, ya can't go wrong. No performance specs that I've seen that are official. But in the past few years, the other ones that have around 112hp LESS, have been low 4 secs in the 0-60 sprint. This new one should be either 4 secs or high 3's. Enough room for the wife, baby and the groceries. ;) And can still take it as it is to the track on weekends.
Just my $0.02
$65K for a Mustang? That just seems wrong. Great performance numbers, for sure....but....ouch. Lots of other pretty desireable cars available in that price range.

To the OP - any of your listed choices are just fine. Hard to argue against a 911-based car. Not sure hwo good the baby seats fit though. :D

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
hmm, I personally am not satisfied with any of the other cars I've had or have unless its a Lotus (from a handling aspect) but the Cayman S is/was a much easier car to live with on a daily basis. Why not invest the money over the summer then find an Evora in the fall/winter when dealers are hurting, maybe they will depreciate even more by then.

I did vote 996 TT because I almost bought one myself. Check out the yellow car that is listed here on the forums in the "not Lotus" section, looked like a nice car if it is still available.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Not sure what used ones go for but what about an Audi S4 or even an RS4?

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Just though of something - not necessarily my cup of tea, but what about and Evo or Sti?

Relatively inexpensive - great performance, 4WD for snowy Philly and backseats.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmm, I personally am not satisfied with any of the other cars I've had or have unless its a Lotus (from a handling aspect) but the Cayman S is/was a much easier car to live with on a daily basis. Why not invest the money over the summer then find an Evora in the fall/winter when dealers are hurting, maybe they will depreciate even more by then.

I did vote 996 TT because I almost bought one myself. Check out the yellow car that is listed here on the forums in the "not Lotus" section, looked like a nice car if it is still available.
I might skip this driving season and pick up an Evora, it's such a beautiful car. The yellow 996TT looks nice but he is asking a little more than I want to spend on a 10 year old car

Not sure what used ones go for but what about an Audi S4 or even an RS4?
Just though of something - not necessarily my cup of tea, but what about and Evo or Sti?

Relatively inexpensive - great performance, 4WD for snowy Philly and backseats.
2 door only - the daily driver is a company car (big giant un-fun sedan). I looked at an E60 M5 for awhile (v10!) but decided it wouldn't get enjoyed as it should. Brilliant for a DD though.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I might skip this driving season and pick up an Evora, it's such a beautiful car. The yellow 996TT looks nice but he is asking a little more than I want to spend on a 10 year old car

2 door only - the daily driver is a company car (big giant un-fun sedan). I looked at an E60 M5 for awhile (v10!) but decided it wouldn't get enjoyed as it should. Brilliant for a DD though.
The Audi A5 or S5 are dead sexy!

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

The Audi A5 or S5 are dead sexy!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Dude I'm in the same boat...my Elise got totaled and now I'm looking at new cars. Problem is I've driven many sports/sporty cars under $50K and every one makes me miss my Lotus. They downright suck!! Good luck with your decision. I vote Evora btw :)

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I think most of the GT500's will be around $55K+, once you factor in tax/delivery charges. I have also vowed never to get a brand new car - the depreciation hit is not worth being the first kid on the block.

However, you bring up a good point - would a 302 BOSS be just as good? They are lighter with less power and seem more "track oriented". Does anybody have experience with one of those?
my buddy has one (302 boss) but i have not driven it nor have i got a ride in it yet.
i like them. if you are going to track it probably a better choice than the gt500 because its N/A.
that said, those cars are limited in production (as are the gt500s) and pricey. fwiw, the reviewers love the car and is a good track car. not much that will out hustle it around a track.

as far as depreciation on a new car, i generally tend to agree unless i planned on keeping the car for awhile.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts