The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm finally ready to take on the task of painting my engine covers. Can someone tell me what tool I use to remove them and can I buy it at home depot? I've been searching the site but I can't seem to find this info.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Torx driver. Size T40 (going out to check that size to make sure I'm remembering correctly -- be right back).

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response Road Dad - I will stop by Home Depot in the morning.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
HD should have T30, most likely in a "kit" with other smaller sizes. Sometimes it's hard to find torx individually at HD, Lowes or Sears. Northern Tool does sell torx drivers individually for about $3-4 each if you have one locally.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I'd go to Sears and get a decent set for $30 or $40. The individual ones from Northern are crap and strip nuts and break easily. Given the proliferation of torx screws of late, you will get your money's worth with the set.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
I bought a set of Kobalt torx drive sockets at Lowes, T15-T50 for about $18. Equivalent set at Sears was over $45. Had to go with the cheaper, although 90% of my hand tools are Craftsman. I completely agree that you will get your money's worth out of a set. Brand? -- your preference.

·
Registered
840 Posts
Kobalt is not bad stuff. I will use Northern and Harbor Freight stuff too on occasion, but just know that it WILL break. If have the $$ on hand to get the Craftsman stuff it is always worth it.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
hahaha, northern and harbor frieght stuff is made out of play-doh. I had a set of body hammers and dollys from one of them, and I set out to learnin some bodywork on one of my old cars. After a few taps with one of the hammers, the head broke right off of it! It was awesome. The laugh I got was worth the money. the metal actually broke off, it wasn't even like the wooden handle broke- oh no, that was actually much stronger than the metal they used.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Sears usually has red handled drivers on "sale" for around $2 each. There is usually a box (or several) with a mixed pile of screw drivers and Torx drivers all jumbled together. A few minutes of sorting through the pile, will net you a nice, inexpensive set of Torx "screw" drivers. They are as good as the other ones, they just don't have the fancy handle...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts