The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Relatively new Exige owner doing first oil change. This drain plug is an O-ring seal not a crush washer. Haven't a clue as to torque. A quick search here didn't turn up much.

I have a new plug and O-rings from Inokinetic, but they haven't responded to this question yet. Guess I'd like to get going as the process is at a stop until I figure this out.
Can anyone tell me ?

Thanx in advance
Jeff

·
Registered
42 Posts
So according to the instructions provided it states "hand tight" Personally I torque mine to about 30 ft-lbs and it hasnt fallen out yet.

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
First click on wrist.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Yea I've got the boe pan which also just uses an o ring. I just tighten it until it feels right.

·
Registered
624 Posts
= When I saw the question and saw aluminum my first thought was 30.
= After that get some blue paint and paint a straight line on the plug and out onto the flange lip - which will save you the trouble next time of wondering just how far to tighten.
= After looking at the pic........anyway you can drill a small hole across the top of the plug and through the edge of the flange lip so that you can safety wire it closed after tightening ?? Safety wire has saved lots of trouble lots of times for lots of folks.
= Another idea - after tightening to 30, put a big wad on the outside of good ol' silicone Permatex red on the threaded edge of the plug and the flange for about one third of the circumference. I would recommend against using thread locker of any color as you may need to then use more torque than might be healthy for the metal when removing the plug next time

·
Premium Member
2005 Lotus Elise; 2007 Lotus Exige S; 2012 Porsche 991S
1,752 Posts
I usually do mine with an allen key and figure given the short length of the key I probably can't get more than about 20-30 ft-lbs by hand.

BTW I wish that plug had a little magnet on the end so I'd have a sense of there was any metal in the oil.

·
Administrator
5,834 Posts
30 is too high. 27 is OEM spec I would think 20 or less and that's not an aluminum pan. I think my wrist is 18

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
I agree 30 is way too high. For example, my e350 that also uses rubber compression has a torque spec of like 13 ft lb.

·
Premium Member
2006 Exige
714 Posts
I do mine medium snug.If you use a short Allen wrench you won’t be able to over tighten without hurting your hand.

Reactions: chiarov

·
Registered
624 Posts
Don't worry about the plug not having a magnet......check out FilterMag.com , give 'em a call and know what size/number oil filter you use

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All
thanks for the replies. these are some very interesting ideas.

I guess the issue is that an O-ring seals at a very tiny contact area around its circumference, so the threads just need to keep the O-ring in place. That said, what torque to use. The wired solution is interesting. I've seen that on critical aircraft fasteners, but there doesn't appear to be room for the hole here I don't think. I'll probably apply "medium hand tight" and see what my torque wrench reads at that point. That must be the spec, right ? :)

At least I know there's not some torque setting that everyone but me knows (a frequent position for me)

Thanx again
Jeff

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
10 - 12 ft/lbs is plenty. You also don't want to strip the hex. If you want to use lock wire, you would have to diagonally drill a small hole from the outside surface into the hex opening.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts