The Lotus Cars Community banner

121 - 136 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do you have an order of magnitude idea of cost? I need to start saving up :cool:
Curious, are you going to take this opportunity to turn the wick up on your V8?
I couldn't even begin to tell you what the end cost will be. I've spent so much trying to perfect this thing in ways that wouldn't need to be done on future conversions. Assuming these next few weeks go well, I do have the next 2 cars lined up to have the conversion and I'll be able to get the machining and labor costs down significantly now that we know what we're doing.

I'm not doing anything else to the car for a while. Just want to drive as-is to make sure nothing catastrophic happens.

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,702 Posts
Erik...you forgot to ask if the cost will include free shipping from Tokyo... :LOL:

More seriously, this conversion would be a BOON for both Renault-transmission cars and Citroen cars alike if the cost was manageable. :love: I like the lightness holes drilled in the chassis cross-brace. Hopefully the roof panel will still fit in the boot... ?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Cruising Ebay real quick - lots of 5 speeds in the $500 - $800 dollar range. The 6 speeds are closer to $2K. Maybe the sweet spot, assuming the 5 speed is a bolt up, would be run a worn out 5 speed for a while, get everything worked out. Then send the box to one of the Porsche gearbox builders, to be re-geared to match the Lotus motor and add a LSD.

I want to say the Kennedy adaptions/conversions are usually in the $2K range plus the gear box. So ~ $2500 to start might be doable. Not a bad option. Excited to see more details when available.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wow, what a development. I thought someone would figure this out eventually.
I assume the adapter would be completely different for the 4 cylinder. Any plans to produce one? Renault for an SE?
What about drive shafts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
4 cyl will be supported, although the V8s are the main concern right now. We (well, a company up in Seattle) are producing the Lotus / Porsche drive shafts.
I'm 90% sure that the roof panel will still fit in the boot. The Porsche transmission sits about 1" higher than the Renault and I've installed a door in my boot to show it off / for checkups. :cool:
I split time between Tokyo and Dallas, Texas so shipping and installation would be from Texas.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I just noticed in another picture a guy posted working on his V8 that the clutch slave is on the left side top of the transmission where as on the 4 cyl its on the right side bottom. Nothing is easy.

Love the trap door.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
That trap door could be handy if the release cable breaks and you can't open the hatch!!!!!!! Not a lot of people keep a top in the trunk. If you do keep it there then that is about all you can put in it!
David Teitelbaum

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
5,702 Posts
I was kidding about top storage...because I saw that you raised the rear frame crossbar (and the top barely fits in the trunk from the factory, especially if the bag is too thick). ?

The trunk floor still bolts in with that higher, new chassis crossbar? Must be an awfully close fit...Looked at our '88's, it only has an inch to spare, stock.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I will be offering a kit in the future. It will be this summer (late July) assuming nothing goes wrong with my car. It's being used as a daily driver at the moment. I want to put a lot of city and highway miles on it over the next few months before this goes into production.

Gearing ratios are:
  • 1st gear 3.818
  • 2nd gear 2.20
  • 3rd gear 1.516
  • 4th gear 1.216
  • 5th gear 1.024
  • 6th gear 0.841

·
Registered
13 Posts
How do those ratios work with the V8, I feel sure they are very nice
It's amazing. Words literally cannot describe. The car has been given new life, and it feels like this is what should have been done in the first place. As most everyone has said, the gearbox has always been the weak point of these cars, and its not anymore. It shifts a lot smoother and you can put it in first and take your foot off the gas and it won’t stall. You don’t have to keep feathering the clutch in traffic. 2nd gear feels like first used to feel. I haven't driven it fast enough to really tell what 6th will do but I did at least put it in 6th at lower rpm and it felt just fine. All gears are smoother and tighter than before.

Testing continues....

·
Registered
718 Posts

I wish I had the knowledge, tools and ability to mount one of these in the Esprit. Any power is possible I would imagine.

121 - 136 of 136 Posts