The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who have painted any part of the top dash what type of paint was used?

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
On a different car when I painted the dash I used adhesion promotor and regular base/clear paint.

·
Registered
125 Posts
My dash and all other interior plastic surfaces are painted piano black. Any automotive paint will work, but that is not the trick. Prep is everything. These plastic surfaces were not made to be painted. The plastic is contaminated with mold release compound, which will prevent proper adhesion. You'll need to clean the surface with a strong solvent. The surface should be sanded to eliminate any sheen. Then prime it with a plastic primer. I also suggest adding a flex compound to the paint (like is used to paint plastic bumpers).

Although the concept is simple, execution is tricky. If you don't get the mold release cleaned from every surface irregularity, the paint will shrink and crack--very ugly and even harder to repaint. Convex angles, such as where your air vents transition to the dash surface are hard to address. You might want to start with something easy like the door sills, then the console and finally the more complex dash parts. Wait for the paint to cure (weeks) on the first couple of parts to evaluate how you did, before you start with more complex parts.

Good luck. My painted dash looks great.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
My dash and all other interior plastic surfaces are painted piano black. Any automotive paint will work, but that is not the trick. Prep is everything. These plastic surfaces were not made to be painted. The plastic is contaminated with mold release compound, which will prevent proper adhesion. You'll need to clean the surface with a strong solvent. The surface should be sanded to eliminate any sheen. Then prime it with a plastic primer. I also suggest adding a flex compound to the paint (like is used to paint plastic bumpers).

Although the concept is simple, execution is tricky. If you don't get the mold release cleaned from every surface irregularity, the paint will shrink and crack--very ugly and even harder to repaint. Convex angles, such as where your air vents transition to the dash surface are hard to address. You might want to start with something easy like the door sills, then the console and finally the more complex dash parts. Wait for the paint to cure (weeks) on the first couple of parts to evaluate how you did, before you start with more complex parts.

Good luck. My painted dash looks great.
Please post pics!

·
Registered
26 Posts
SEM Color Coat brand .... only way to go imo. My auto paint supplier won't even mix interior paints anymore because he sells way more SEM and people like it better. Comes in like 25 different colors at auto paint supply store.

I use it and really like it.. very durable. It runs $12 a spray can but worth it and then some.

SEM Color Coat For Vinyl, Leather, & Plastics

1 - 7 of 7 Posts