The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The back left bolt and hook thing doesnt line up properly from my top to the car. The problem is that the piece that has the latch that attaches to the car is too far to the right and it cant hooked under it. The piece appears to be horizontally adjustable but I dont know what type of tool is needed for that type of socket. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
if it looks like an allen would fit it, but it wont, then its likely a torx bit.
i hate them, as its just another set of tools to buy. they come in different sizes like hex(allen) comes in.
someone will likely know the exact size for this.
fishguy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Your car should have a black folding "bag" of tools located right behind the battery in the trunk (there's actually a little pocket for the bag to slide into for storage. Open that and you should have a few things in there: you're looking for an L-shaped tool with star-shaped ends (many points instead of just a hex). I don't know what it's officially called, but that's what you're looking for and the car should have one from the factory (or it should have come with the hardtop, either way.)

Plastique999 above is correct: You'll have to unscrew the bolt enough that it is free moving (the bolts are capture type, so they loosen up but stay in).

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Yeah, you need the T40 TORX, preferrably a T-Handle to give you more evenly-spread leverage. Even so, you need to make sure that you dead-center seat the TORX into the bolts to avoid stripping the insert pattern on the bolt. Even with the TORX40, I had to replace my bolts before they became to buggered up where I wouldn't be able to remove them. Bought a new set of four from Lotus Garage for $18.72 including shipping. Ain't cheap for four bolts, but better than the alternative.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had a chance to check it out. If you are talking about the four bolts that attach the fixed half of the rear bracket to the hardtop (not the car) then a T-30 security bit should work.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a chance to check it out. If you are talking about the four bolts that attach the fixed half of the rear bracket to the hardtop (not the car) then a T-30 security bit should work.
Yea I think thats what im referring to. Its 2 bolts on each side and it looks for you need a torx with a hole in the middle.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally made it back to the hardtop issue. Here is a pic of the bolts that im referring to just in case anyone needed to see. What type of tool is needed? I know that torx bits do not have a hole in the that appears to be needed.

·
Registered
398 Posts
is it strange that my 06 exige does not have the green painted screws on it? I was just goofing around with mine today because I heard a squeak coming from it... but I dont have those ones directly below that!

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
What type of tool is needed? I know that torx bits do not have a hole in the that appears to be needed.
As someone posted above - Torx Security bits. They are standard Torx bits with the hole down the middle so that regular Torx bits don't work with them (why they used security bits in this case I don't understand :shrug: ).

Although they are "Security bits" they are very easy to come by - for instance $5 for a set from Harbor Freight

Attachments

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As someone posted above - Torx Security bits. They are standard Torx bits with the hole down the middle so that regular Torx bits don't work with them (why they used security bits in this case I don't understand :shrug: ).

Although they are "Security bits" they are very easy to come by - for instance $5 for a set from Harbor Freight
Thanks.... Im off to the hardware store now..... PS... watch me come back in about an hour complaining that I have to order them.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Thanks.... Im off to the hardware store now..... PS... watch me come back in about an hour complaining that I have to order them.
:popcorn:

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dammit.... I have to order... Stupid autozone/home depot/target.... Ok I stopped to get a frozen pizza and I checked.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I bought a set at the depot assuming the correct torx was in there... I assumed wrong and had to make an extra trip down to Orchard to purchase a single. Lotus should include this as part of that little, semi useless, battery pack tool kit included with the car. There are very few owners who don't ever take the top off.

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
I recently purchased Sears Craftsman set that had almost every imaginable bit in it.
I was going to mention Sears, but you beat me to it. :)

Actually, most of my tools are Craftsman, but it's usually easier to find examples at Harbor Freight on-line, and they usually have better pictures...

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
is it strange that my 06 exige does not have the green painted screws on it? I was just goofing around with mine today because I heard a squeak coming from it... but I dont have those ones directly below that!
I thought the same thing, but Elise and Exige roofs are slightly different. Exige roofs (including the Cup roof), don't have the metal bracket with the two torx bolts in it. There's a threaded insert embedded in the roof for the anchor bracket to bolt into (just like the front spigot brackets).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts