The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What wheels (which fit the Lotus Elise) are available in a 10 to 11 inch width. I am looking at putting 275 width tires (for the track) on the car. I realize they will not tuck inside the stock fenders. I don't want to go with 9 inch width as they will tend to pinch/bow a 275 width tire (and create unwanted sidewall flex).

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only ones I can seem to find are the miata 949 racing wheels I think they are called. I have been looking at those too. Looks like you can pre order a 17x10, but the offset seems a bit off for the Lotus. I hate 4x100 :mad:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Actually, if we get about 10 people interested, I know Enkei would do a batch custom ordered. Maybe a 17x10 RPF1?? Should be about 16lbs....

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
too much, or too little offset? Too little can always be fixed with spacers.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Squidward,
I am open to alternatives, educate me.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I had 285s on an 18x9.5 on my previous car with no issues. Tires were Kuhmo Ecstas, which are not as wide as the Hoosiers I had in the same size on 18x10s. Depending on tire choice, I think 275s would be fine on a 9.5" wheel.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mavila,
What wheels were you using.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Sorry - I should have been clear. Previous car not being an Elise/Exige. This was on a '93 RX-7 with 18x9.5 SSR wheels and street tires and 18x10 CCW wheels with Hoosiers for the track. Interestingly both of these wheels are also available for the Lotus. I'm pretty sure Frank/Ronin runs a 9.5" or 10" CCW wheel on the rear of his car, but with his car there's no telling if there are any parallels to a more normal Elige and if they will fit right on any other car.

·
Registered
935 Posts
custom wheels

you can get any width and offset with 3-piece wheels, no minimum order required.

i would recommend fikse, hre, forgeline and so forth.

it will just run you 750 to 1200 per wheel.

enkeis can be had for 500, but they are cast not forged,enkei would take one of their standard castings and finish to spec,hence minimum order to justify set-up.

if you are willing to go that far and spend that much, 3-piece is lighter and stronger.

anton

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
275 seems like a lot for the rears. I run 245 Hoosiers and have a small bit of rubbing.

Has anyone actually run 275s?

IMHO, its far more tire than you really need for casual weekend track days.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
ccw can make you a set to your specs for about 2500$ I think

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, Fred Zust runs even wider, with mods. I am wanting to max out the SSM class for SCCA.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Yes, Fred Zust runs even wider, with mods. I am wanting to max out the SSM class for SCCA.
Fred has an XP monster with flares.

I run a non-competitive XP car. I'm toyed with the idea of adding weight to get into XP. What are you doing to meet the weight limits?

Agreed, for SSM 245 is a bit too small. I'm still not sure a 275 will fit. Maybe if you raise the rear it won't rub. I'd like to hear from other who have tried this. I think "Ryno" runs pretty large tires all around. Maybe he will chime in.

·
Vendor
3,092 Posts
For the record, the 275s will NOT fit without trimming the wheel wells some. That said, we've been working on our MAXIMUM Wheel project, with Rich Bogart of Bogart Racing wheels. Essentially the plan is to get the widest wheels possible stuffed into a stock lotus. We're going to start running 225/45R15 RS-3s stretched on the front and 255/40R17s on the rear.

Here you can see our project "Buick" daily driver. This is the 3rd iteration we are one. These are un-finished wheels. Currently we are at 15x8.5" in the front and 17x9" in the rear. The cool part here is that if you do want to go with 275/35R15 and 275/40R17 you can order these same wheels with 1.5" wider front and 1" wider rear outer shells to get to 15x10 and 17x10.

We're going to finish these out in Satin Black.

They will be for sale in the current config or with any width(changing the outer) you desire! The best part is that these wheels will be super-strong and light.

Attachments

·
Registered
142 Posts
Very nice Fred :)

1) Why 15" instead of 16" in the front? I'm curious and also wondering whether it will clear our brakes (especially big brake kits)?

2) When are you targeting these to be available and any ideas re target pricing for a set?

Cheers
Steve M

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
FIL,
My car started a bit porky from the factory. It is a sport/touring/optional leather pack car. According to FZUST, I will have to reach 2119 pounds which is achievable with comfort and convenience items (but I want to keep my polar momentum as low as possible). Some of the changes I want to do (weight wise) are contrary to the heavy goal, such as going with a lighter battery to reduce polar momentum (that heavy factory battery way out in the rear of the car is just a bad idea). I am still trying to figure out what transmission to go with, but I know the E153 is a heavier transmission than stock, and far tougher. I don't know what the weight is of the quaife sequential, but I suspect it isn't a lot more weight than stock. My car is not currently intercooled, but will eventually have one (a few more pounds). Instrumentation on the inside of the car (a few more pounds). Ideally, any weight I add should be low and placed near the middle of the car. There is no reason why the car can't be "pretty" and fast. I will have to check if there is a rule against the tires sticking out past the fenders, if there is such a rule, then fender flares will be a must. I fully expected to re-shape the wheel wells to clear larger width wheels. At the end of the day, what needs to be achieved, are upgrades which fit within the rules, and can be done in a progressive fashion. I managed to upgrade the car straight into the SSM class, but (go-fast goodies wise) it is at the minimum edge of SSM. The PAX correction factor is tweeked under the assumption your car is maxxed out, so I am running at a deficit for the class right now.
Road-Map for the future includes: Wider wheels (obviously), 400HP, Tougher transmission, suspension suspension suspension, more stick time and driver training (I am a reletive newbie to this). And I will say, it is borderline offensive that RX-7s have owned the SSM class for an entire decade. It is well past time for a Lotus to flex a little muscle in that class.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey Fred, any idea on when these wheels will be available, and an approximate price? These are exactly the sizes I have been looking for to change to for this season.

·
Vendor
3,092 Posts
Steve-Elise: Except for the full race slicks I run in XP, there are VERY FEW options for 16" tires. For many such as SSM that cannot change pickup points the 15" drops the car and has some great options in street tires such as the 225/45R15 Hankook and in DOT race such as the A6 with the 275/35R15. The car needs a tire diameter less than 23.5", if possible.

They do clear the stock brakes. The 15x8.5" have been setup to JUST CLEAR everything. You cannot get more tire under there if you tried. For the Big Brake kit you would want 17s all around with a lower profile narrower front tire.

As far as pricing, we're trying to get them in the $600-$650 a wheel range. They are 3 piece, hand-made and pretty darn light. I've run the same 2 sets of Bogarts for going on 5 years now. They've been re-configured from a 15/16 setup to a 16x10 all around to 16x11.5 in the rear. They're tough and work well.

Addertooth: I haven't done much with the e153. For a dual-purpose car, it would probably be the way to go. The quaife is great but a dog-box is just not streetable.

Scionized: I spent the last day or so examining the fitment. These are good to go. I will finalize the pricing next week and post them on the site for pre-order deposits.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Addertooth,

I'm relatively new to autocross as well (3 years of local events). I didn't build the car with a particular class in mind. I just put on the mods that I wanted. I ended up in XP, but don't really care. My driving isn't at the level that I'd be winning if the car were in SSM. My philosophy has been that I will worry about preparing the car for SSM once I think I can actually win the class. Right now, I'm not even beating the top SS drivers on RAW time. Fred says the car can reach the weight limit and I believe him. I will cross that bridge once I come to it.

As far as tire width goes, I think the car can be very competitive with 225 275 tires. SSM raw times aren't THAT much faster than the top SS times. Give Matthew Braun an extra 200hp, more front camber, high spring rates, and other Mod class perks and I think he could win SSM without 275s on all corners. But that's just my opinion.

I haven't really done much research on the E153. I'll have to consider it if *when* mine kicks the bucket.

I agree, a car can be pretty and fast. I've followed that philosophy.

With all due respect, if you are relatively new to autocross, I recommend not getting too carried away with modifying the car and focus on seat time. The Elise isn't the easiest car to autocross to begin with. All the mods you are proposing will just make it more difficult to master. Getting everything dialed isn't easy. That said, its always great to have another modified autocross Elise. Having a small number of cars in the AutoX community puts us at a disadvantage with regard to relying on experiences of others.

Feel free to drop me a line if you want to chat about setup. I started a thread a while back about setting up a car for ASP or SSM. I haven't checked it in a while, there may be some good discussion going on there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts