The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friday night mental masturbation.....
When the DOT exemptions for the Elise expire, what will really change on the Elise? Bumpers? headlights? how much more weight? Guesses? I just don't think the car would change that much, what do you all think?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Nothing substantial.

Paint colors mainly. Perhaps a minor cosmetic tweak.

edit... Oh.. you are asking about the '07 cars. Never mind. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes, I meant after 06, when the 07s come out. Everyone keeps mentioning weight increases, but how much do bumpers weigh? what else to add weight to the car?

·
Registered
401 Posts
They will switch to a "mini El Camino" style body that will allow you to carry a small payload. Truck tires will become an option and they will install nerf bars to deal with the constant complaint of destroying the underside on speed bumbs. Brush guards and mud flaps wil lbe optional. Despite the rumors an integrated shotgun rack will not be offered for the Texas market.

·
Registered
592 Posts
My plan would be to get the cars flowing and jobs dependent on the continued flow then beg for waiver extensions. Keep the cars the same until they come out with a S3 for the rest of the world and make the car compliant at that time.

Since I doubt Lotus will make any type of outrageous profits between now and '07 they may get some sympathy.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Reddirt14 said:
Despite the rumors an integrated shotgun rack will not be offered for the Texas market.
Shotgun racks are passe. I think they went out with the 70's. Handgun safes under the seat are where it is at now!

Do you really think it is smart to make fun of people you think would normally carry a shotgun in their vehicle? And people think that country boys in Texas are stupid. There is a reason people are so polite in Texas. An armed society is a polite society:D

Greg

PS to stay on topic, they will get more power!

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>They will switch to a "mini El Camino" style body<<<

They've done it before... Check out the side view of a Twin Cam Europa = El Camino-like!!!

Stan

·
Registered
643 Posts
Is the only problem the ability of the bumpers to survive a low-speed impact? Seems like Lotus could just redesign the body work slightly to accomodate a urethane bumper.

Jim

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Exactly. While the Elise meets all the high impact standards, it doesn't meet the requirements for the low-speed impacts. I don't know the exact requirements, but it has to do with minimizing repair costs I believe? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Because there are no detachable bumbers on the body work you have to replace the whole clam if the damage cannot be fixed. So big money.

Accomadating bumpers would require a redesign of the whole body meaning elongated body dimensions. Remember early Porsches and Lambos with the ugly bump stops on them?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Donovan said:
Exactly. While the Elise meets all the high impact standards, it doesn't meet the requirements for the low-speed impacts. I don't know the exact requirements, but it has to do with minimizing repair costs I believe? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. Because there are no detachable bumbers on the body work you have to replace the whole clam if the damage cannot be fixed. So big money.

Accomadating bumpers would require a redesign of the whole body meaning elongated body dimensions. Remember early Porsches and Lambos with the ugly bump stops on them?
Regarding the bumpers, I still believe that Lotus will find a way to have bumpers that can withstand the 5 MPH standards.
How about the headlights, what is the deal with them? how come they don't meet the US standards?

·
Registered
591 Posts
I believe the standards have been rolled back to 2.5mph for a while. STill, meeting the standards would require actually having a bumper structure under the skin along with a separate flexible skin. Or a nice pickup truck type exposed bumper.

The headlights meet european standards, not US. They might have a different color tempearture or may not be sealed beam or its equivilent or the dispersal pattern is different.

Greg

1 - 20 of 29 Posts