The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I am new to the forum, introduced here with some photos (more coming soon)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f105/2nd-exige-s240-vancouver-73647/#post1290296

And wanna ask have anyone tried or do winter setups for you elise/exige (pretty much the same in this case)...
Are they drive able with snow tires? I live in Vancouver, BC and we had huge amount of snow here few months ago...
More like a Toronto, ON situations in the winter but with crap preparations from the government and many steep hills

any recommendations on setups? or is it worth while? would the snow under be hanging the car up?
(I had a friend during last winter and got his 08 Audi TT AWD stuck because the snow hang up his car resulting no grip with tires or actually the tires are not even touching the ground.....we gota have like 10 guys pushing and helping out)

Bcuz I really want to have the car moving in the snow too

Thx for info:nanner:

·
Registered
7,451 Posts
Hey everyone I am new to the forum, introduced here with some photos (more coming soon)
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f105/2nd-exige-s240-vancouver-73647/#post1290296

And wanna ask have anyone tried or do winter setups for you elise/exige (pretty much the same in this case)...
Are they drive able with snow tires? I live in Vancouver, BC and we had huge amount of snow here few months ago...
More like a Toronto, ON situations in the winter but with crap preparations from the government and many steep hills

any recommendations on setups? or is it worth while? would the snow under be hanging the car up?
(I had a friend during last winter and got his 08 Audi TT AWD stuck because the snow hang up his car resulting no grip with tires or actually the tires are not even touching the ground.....we gota have like 10 guys pushing and helping out)

There are folks who drive their cars deep into the winter, navigating bad weather.

That said, IMHO the best winter setup for these cars is a dry garage, with the car appropriately prepped to be put away for a few months. I wouldn't drive this car in accumulating snow unless I absolutely had no choice, and it would have to be a pretty extreme situation to meet that criteria.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
There are folks who drive their cars deep into the winter, navigating bad weather.

That said, IMHO the best winter setup for these cars is a dry garage, with the car appropriately prepped to be put away for a few months. I wouldn't drive this car in accumulating snow unless I absolutely had no choice, and it would have to be a pretty extreme situation to meet that criteria.
Seconded.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I live in Saskatoon, Sask. If I only drove the Exige when the temperature was above freezing, I would only get to drive 3 or 4 months per year.
I have a set of winter wheels (standard Elise wheels) with a set of Dunlop Graspic tires.
I added a 110 volt "block heater" (actually a glue-on oil pan heater).
Cold is actually a bigger issue here than snow. (Snow is dry and blows off the roads <for the most part>).
The heater (and defroster) is good to about -35 degrees. After that, it is a bit minimal. By -40 degrees, all cars are stiff and cold - so nothing out of the norm, really.
Ground clearance is a bit of a concern -- but then it is also a concern in the summer as well -- what with curbs and speed bumps.
I've driven the Exige through 2 winters now and it has not let me down - always started and never stuck in snow. Handling, on packed snow or ice, is actually better than most vehicles due to the light weight and low polar monent of inertia.
Get a good set of "Blizzak-type" tires and, using a bit of discretion, -get out and enjoy!!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like i shouldnt move it:(

·
Registered
25 Posts
Winter setup

I use my car all year around and I'll use Yokohama IG20 87Q and 84Q (215/45-17 and 195/50-16).These are no studded tyres.
I also put my shocks on the highest position (15 cm ride hight in front and 17 cm mid. car).
The car is quite god/OK in winter condition. Better than I first thought.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.