The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Given a little bit of track time (maybe 1/2 dozen events a year) what would be excessive mileage for a used 2005? :shrug:

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
high mileage on a normal 2005 car... 80k
high milage on an elise... 40k?

Doesn't make much sense when people say an elise with 30k miles is too "high milage" for thier liking... !

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
five

·
Registered
685 Posts
Any man above 50-year-old and any women above 30-year-old is "High Mileage" on a 2005 Elise.

Same on 2006, 2007, 2008 Elise.

:p

·
Registered
398 Posts
Probably above 50K.

This is not a ferrari where anything over 20K is high milage and needs expensive maintenance. The powerplant is Celica, so close to 20K miles a year is not unreasonable if the car was used as a daily driver. If it was, check mainenance records and make sure the services were done on time. You'll save yourself a few thousand with a high milage car, but not a lot.

I paid $2k extra for a car with only 2032 miles on it instead of 20,000 miles. This is because it's now my daily driver and I put like 15K miles per year on the car, so the way I figure the extra $2k bought me ownership for this car for an extra year.

I will probably sell when the car reaches the 50K range.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I've been daily driving my car and bought it with 15k miles, last owner had it for close to 2 years, I've added another 12k miles over 9 months. I say over 30k would be considered high mileage, most Lotus owners don't daily drive their cars so 2005s over 30k should be considered high mileage by comparison.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I think this depends on what you mean by 'high' mileage. If you mean 'excessive' mileage, then the others are right...these cars don't really suffer with mileage, it's not a big deal if the car's racked up 10k miles a year. If you mean 'relative', well thats different. Meaning, there seem to be quite a few 2005s with 5-15k miles, so from that perspective, 30k could be considered 'high' mileage. The car is just fine, but there are quite a few 'low' mileage examples out there.

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
There are also other factors to consider. I bought my (non-Lotus) with about 45,000 miles on it, but it was a one-owner car. If it had 20,000 miles on it, but had had 3 owners, I would not have even considered it.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
~50,000 on ours. Hit the second cam around 15 times/day.

Runs like a raped ape. Gets 30mpg consistently. Oil analysis is excellent.

Fender benders that bend the frame are the biggest worry with these cars, not whether they'll last.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally some useful advice! I don't have much detail on the driving experience for the car I ran across but it's 20K+ mileage. In a vacuum I might pass for a 4K car somewhere but this one is in my backyard and that makes procurement much easier (I'm in Lotus terra incognito so otherwise I'm looking at a plane flight and additional expenses).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There are also other factors to consider. I bought my (non-Lotus) with about 45,000 miles on it, but it was a one-owner car. If it had 20,000 miles on it, but had had 3 owners, I would not have even considered it.
By your avatar you drive a later 911 turbo. That's a more proven platform than the Elise relative to high mileage. I wouldn't blink at a 20K example if the PPI came out alright, number of owners notwithstanding.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts