The Lotus Cars Community banner

What would you do if the Exige was never imported to the US?

• I would have bought an Elise and would have been fine

Votes: 43 59.7%
  • I would have bought an Elise and tried to make it look/perform like an Exige

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • I wouldn't have bought a Lotus at all

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I would've waited for the Esprit or Eagle

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • I would have bought an Elise but would have been disappointed there was nothing to upgrade to

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would have bought a completely car

Votes: 6 8.3%
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering. It's never good when I ponder. But anyhow, I was pondering what possessed Lotus to bring the Exige to the U.S. Was there really that much of a demand? After all, the Exige is pretty much an Elise.

Then I pondered how many Lotus owners we'd still have if the Exige didn't come to the U.S., in essence, what impact did the Exige's arrival have?

I'm an Elise owner, but it's cool that there's something else to envy or "upgrade" to in the future.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Then I pondered how many Lotus owners we'd still have if the Exige didn't come to the U.S., in essence, what impact did the Exige's arrival have?
Well, Exiges wouldnt have changed much...most lotus owners today are Elise owners...

And I'd assume the current Exige owners we have, would have picked up an Elise if the Exige wasn't available...

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
I would consider the Exige a lateral move. I like the looks of the Elise rear clam much better, however I'd like to have all that extra engine bay space for an intercooler. :p

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I'd sell my Lotus stock. The markup on these things is crazy.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know the Exige isn't necessarily an upgrade per se. I forgot to put "upgrade" in quotations in the poll.

I actually view the Exige as slightly inferior to the Elise; like an Elise that ate too much pizza and beer its whole life and now has a weight problem. Aesthetically, though, the Exige wins in my eyes, but I like to appreciate function before form.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
+1 re the Elise/Exige generally being a lateral move or at least not an upgrade. Owned Elise, got an N/A Exige, sold and got another Elise. The view out of the windshield is identical.

If you're tracking the car and REALLY need the extra downforce, then functionally the Exige is the way to go. With the exception of the S240, virtually all the performance/handling options are interchangeable between the two cars.

For street use, it basically boils down to looks...I personally prefer the front clam of an Exige and the rear clam of an Elise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I personally prefer the front clam of an Exige and the rear clam of an Elise.
Yep...same here. I'm not a fan of the swollen look of the Exige's back-hump, but I like the front grill/mesh.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
i would have never bought a lotus at all...i would be in some sort of Pcar for sure caymanS, 996tt, 997S, 996gt3 all in about the same $$$ range

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would have never bought a lotus at all...i would be in some sort of Pcar for sure caymanS, 996tt, 997S, 996gt3 all in about the same $$$ range

This is the type of response that interests me. What about the Elise, for example, is unappealing? Or was it the Exige S that interested you because of its SC (as opposed to the NA Exige)?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
This is the type of response that interests me. What about the Elise, for example, is unappealing? Or was it the Exige S that interested you because of its SC (as opposed to the NA Exige)?
i like the SC, its the most important thing, i had lots of problems doing F/I in a car that didnt have it to begin with, so i told myself, it was a must to be F/I from the dealer/factory, the looks only came in second (i like the hatch back look over the roadster look), but if the elise SC was offered i woulda picked one up for sure wit HT lol :D

part of the reason for the Pcar choice was peer pressure, i love to be diff from everyone(hence the lotus), but if there was no choice i would be driving one along with like a lot of my other friends hahaha :p

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I actually view the Exige as slightly inferior to the Elise; like an Elise that ate too much pizza and beer its whole life and now has a weight problem.
You're funny. rotfl

The Exige is very purposeful and functional. If you do not use it how it is intended to, it's not the cars fault. ;)

Say what you will, Lotus has positioned the Exige as the higher performance variant. The 06 N/A version was a one year only introductory model. It has since been, and looks to continue to be, the higher-performing, quicker model. It doesn't look like Lotus intends to change that anytime soon. This was also the case with the S1 Elise/Exige series (before we ever got a federal version).

If there was no Exige, for myself, I may have gotten an Elise or some other car - like a Cayman or Ford GT. :shift:

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i like the SC, its the most important thing, i had lots of problems doing F/I in a car that didnt have it to begin with, so i told myself, it was a must to be F/I from the dealer/factory, the looks only came in second (i like the hatch back look over the roadster look), but if the elise SC was offered i woulda picked one up for sure wit HT lol :D

part of the reason for the Pcar choice was peer pressure, i love to be diff from everyone(hence the lotus), but if there was no choice i would be driving one along with like a lot of my other friends hahaha :p
So it wasn't a question of "Exige vs. Elise" for you, it was a question of "F.I. vs. N.A.". Gotcha.

You're funny. rotfl

The Exige is very purposeful and functional. If you do not use it how it is intended to, it's not the cars fault. ;)

Say what you will, Lotus has positioned the Exige as the higher performance variant. The 06 N/A version was a one year only introductory model. It has since been, and looks to continue to be, the higher-performing, quicker model. It doesn't look like Lotus intends to change that anytime soon. This was also the case with the S1 Elise/Exige series (before we ever got a federal version).

If there was no Exige, for myself, I may have gotten an Elise or some other car - like a Cayman or Ford GT. :shift:

The Exige is more focused, but its weight is really escalating. It now hangs around 2100 lbs, maybe 20-30 lbs less for the base Exige S.

I know a lot of the excess weight is from the clams being hand-laid.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
So it wasn't a question of "Exige vs. Elise" for you, it was a question of "F.I. vs. N.A.". Gotcha.

The Exige is more focused, but its weight is really escalating. It now hangs around 2100 lbs, maybe 20-30 lbs less for the base Exige S.

I know a lot of the excess weight is from the clams being hand-laid.
yes FI ftw

my exige with my fatass in it weighed in at 2210 w/ half tank of fuel (no lightweight diet for the car or owner rotfl)

the exige could be put on a diet, or add HP w/ bolt ons, much cheaper and easier to do than having to FI an NA car...imo :shrug:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Ditto - probably a 997GT3. Doubt I could've swung a 997 GT3RS, but it was on the shopping list.

Cheers,
-Darryl

PS: Exige downforce is definitely apparent. Even at tight courses like Spring Mountain. But deefinitely at high(er) speed tracks like Buttonwillow!

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I've read more than one review that said the NA Exige maybe slower in a straight line, but faster around a track due to down force. We all know that this car is not about straight line performance.

I like the Elise, but probably not enough to buy one. I love the Exige, and I have one.

·
Registered
9,297 Posts
Caterham, Noble, GT3 - pretty much came down to a Noble for me, and I really didn't want the headache of building a car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts