The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 06 Exige has 18,000 miles now. I need more power and was going to add a supercharger. Would you do that, or find an 07' Exige S and trade mine in?
I would just take all of my mods off and put them on the new car. 5 grand = Supercharger 8-9 grand = Exige S + year more warranty.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
upgrade to 08... I would wait another year and upgrade 08. why upgrade to 07 when essentially it's the same as 06, except SC? 08 has newer dash, traction control, tire pressure monitor, better yet, get S 240. it's more money, but i would do it that way.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
upgrade to 08... I would wait another year and upgrade 08. why upgrade to 07 when essentially it's the same as 06, except SC? 08 has newer dash, traction control, tire pressure monitor, better yet, get S 240. it's more money, but i would do it that way.
Ok, Only 30 grand more ... :rolleyes: lol I hate traction control. Wish they never added it. I do like the new dash though.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I thought about trading my 06 Elise for a 07 ExigeS. In my case, the trade was about 15k$. This was NOT worth it IMHO. I am adding a Katana next week for 5000$. That's 10k$ in my pockets. It is the same freakin car! It is not worth paying a huge premium for a few ponies, especially when you end up with more ponies for less $ (Katana is about 10-15rwhp over ExigeS).

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
i went bwr s/cer. i feel it was the right move.

·
Registered
693 Posts
If your a wrench turner, SC. If your not... then upgrade.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I thought about trading my 06 Elise for a 07 ExigeS. In my case, the trade was about 15k$. This was NOT worth it IMHO. I am adding a Katana next week for 5000$. That's 10k$ in my pockets. It is the same freakin car! It is not worth paying a huge premium for a few ponies, especially when you end up with more ponies for less $ (Katana is about 10-15rwhp over ExigeS).
I also think about insurance when upgrading a car engine. IF the car is totalled somehow, the insurance will only pay the market value of your car, in this case, it's 06 Elise and therefore you lose the $5k investment you made in SC. How do you get the ins to cover the $5k SC aftermarket? and also the CARB issue.

If you get the 07 S, then if the car is totalled, you still get most of it back + warranty from insurance (if you buy used).

but correct me if I am wrong. This is what I thought.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Get a blower...S111 and BWR aftermarkets are good, or wait for the Lotus unit if you want CARB and stronger resale / trade-in value.

It is far less than the depreciation hit to trade to an '07 or an '08. There just isn't that big of an upgrade, IMHO other than extra ponies, going to either year.

That is what I plan to do.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I got a exige s and took it to the track one time. I could not use the extra power because I am just not that good of a driver yet. If you going to upgrade why not just get a after market sc. After all our engine's are made by toyota and should go for ever. And if it does blow up you can get a rebuilt one for 2 grand. Exige s was not worth at the time the 20 grand premium for me so I sold it and got my old car back.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I also think about insurance when upgrading a car engine. IF the car is totalled somehow, the insurance will only pay the market value of your car, in this case, it's 06 Elise and therefore you lose the $5k investment you made in SC. How do you get the ins to cover the $5k SC aftermarket? and also the CARB issue.

If you get the 07 S, then if the car is totalled, you still get most of it back + warranty from insurance (if you buy used).

but correct me if I am wrong. This is what I thought.
Well if you know where the SC is mounted, you also know that it would take one nasty accident to not be able to salvage the sc.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I looked into upgrading from my '05 Elise to an '07 Exige S and found it to be cost prohibitive. So, I decided to purchase the BWR Kit & am very happy with my decision.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
If in California -> upgrade year.
Outside (and no smog issues) -> bolt on.

I don't think Florida has smog inspections, I'd save a ton and get a S/C. Likely your car will not be sold in California since you are on the East Coast as well, so resale will not be a problem.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
your 06 Exige 18k is still fairly new, try and see how much they would give you on a trade, if its within your capacity then get a S240

of course if not then give BWR a call hehe

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Oh and I think the 06 Exige with black accents look better than the ExigeS' color matching bits.

So I'd definately go the 06 upgrade path. Sexiest Exige with about the same power as a 240S. You can't lose.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts