The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about suspend it from the ceiling in a fancy boutique on Piccadilly Circus? There's a new Lotus Originals store in London that's just off the Piccadilly tube stop. This is a retail outlet that stocks the stuff you may receive emails for or have seen on line. You know, the $60 t-shirts, $250 chinos, $1,200 leather jackets, etc. I remarked to the very talkative sales lady that I could stomach paying two times an amount to Ralph Lauren for something with a Lotus roundel on it, but not three times. She assured me that it was the finest quality made in Italy and Turkey, NOT China. She did break me down and I tried on one of the leather jackets, then remembered how quickly the Advon tires on my Exige wear down and what $1K would better be spent on. I did end up getting a t-shirt...

Cheers,
Severin

Attachments

·
Registered
553 Posts
that's an awesome entrance

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Seeing the "lifestyle" parts of Lotus really make me wish they sorted all the corporate BS out. For enthusiasts, this is what it's all about.

·
Premium Member
2,246 Posts
Hey Severin, did they have the brown leather jacket with the racing stripes on it in the store? If so, how much? I lust after that jacket.

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
And here I was expecting to see pics of a Lotus F1 car.....

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Turkey is on same level as Italy now?

·
Registered
765 Posts
Turkey is on same level as Italy now?
Having lived there/bought clothes there...I wouldn't think so. Turkish clothing/leather products are on par with Mexico in my opinion.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guppy,

The leather jacket with the stripes was 875 British Pounds if I recall (1.6798 current exchange rate). I found the salesperson's comment on items made in Turkey odd too, but thought I had already been enough of an ugly American with my "three times the price" comment to go there.

It would be nice if Lotus would put as much emphasis on spare parts availability as they do polo shirts harkening back to the "glory days".

Unfortunately, there were no pit girls.

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
I think it's amazing that they have the car mounted through/to a giant Lotus emblem shaped gimbal to boot!

·
shay2nak
25,068 Posts
Having lived there/bought clothes there...I wouldn't think so. Turkish clothing/leather products are on par with Mexico in my opinion.
that's what I would think.

I did buy a couple items recently that were made in Turkey. As an Armenian, I displayed my displeasure at the country of origin, but as an Armenian I also couldn't deny buying from this particular Italian designer. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Seeing the "lifestyle" parts of Lotus really make me wish they sorted all the corporate BS out. For enthusiasts, this is what it's all about.
I really don't see it that way at all.

There's nothing wrong per se with style or styling. The majority of Lotus enthusiasts, while they may appreciate the styling, love the Lotus obsession with function. Function above all, that's what we're putting down our money for.

These lifestyle objects are the opposite. They may be well made, but clearly the retail price is mostly going to the styling/label. I'm not knocking that, I dig beautiful design, but this is not "for enthusiasts...what it's all about."

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Cool display to show it off, but what I would do with a retired F1, is not keep it retired at all. I'd be too damn tempted to drive the thing. That's what it was made for. Not be like Ralph Lauren and own and acquire cars that he never drives. At least Jay Leno drives his.
The wife and I recently went to Italy, and one of the hotels we stayed at in Maranello had a retired F1 Ferrari in the reception, hanging right off their desk.
Went on a tour of the Ferrari compound and were told a lot of the retired F1 cars are bought by private collectors and most of them are kept in a building just off the Fiorano test track.

Attachments

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
i bet they have a pencil sharpener built right into the side of that thing.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
I'd sell it and make millions!! then buy me an Evora GTE special edition and put the rest in the bank, end of story...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would practically live at the track!
391665_3998495878782_37772830_n[2].jpg
(Yep, that's me):coolnana:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts