The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of picking up a brand new 2007 Exige S . Is it worth it in your opinions, to spend an extra 10k for a similar equipped- 2008 S 240 ?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Get the Gotham reflash, you'll end up with an Exige S265.

Not worth 10k$ imho.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
My biggest concern there would be warranty. If something were to go wrong and Lotus doesn't feel all that generous - :panic:.
Right.

But still, I'd have a hard justifying 10k$ for 20hp and few other things. Of course some people need to have the latest/newest.

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
I'm in the process of picking up a brand new 2007 Exige S . Is it worth it in your opinions, to spend an extra 10k for a similar equipped- 2008 S 240 ?
It depends on how much $10K means to you.:wave:

If I were you I would buy the S240:evil::shift:

·
Registered
6,293 Posts
The variable traction control is amazing:up:

You can NOT add that to the 07 S:shift:

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
^im with Patricko that traction control is awesome especially for average drivers, u can fine tune it then call it a day!!!

upgraded brakes, launch control, better roof, a few interior finishing upgrades, u cant loose

and then u wait til charlie does a gotham tune for it...

·
Registered
749 Posts
I recently made this decision myself, and went with the 07. However, I am in need of therapy because my last two cars were brand new and remained flawless while under my car... of course that meant I couldn't really get out and enjoy them like I wanted to.

So Fox Valley had mine, in near-perfect shape (cat-paw swirls, previous owner was not a good installer, etc), and the things that were "off" were easily remedied. I am VERY happy that I got a used car with low miles and saved $15k vs the 240S I was considering. And since it has a tiny bit of wear and tear already, I don't feel so obligated to keep everything just perfect (though I am still going out and erasing swirls, because I can't help but stare at how beautiful this car is, so my anal tendencies keep finding new things...but I'm getting better! lol).

It's just not worth the extra money compared to what you get in the 07. Granted, the equipment added to that car prob cost a pretty penny (adj t/c, adj launch control w/ clutch damper, updated dash w/ progressive shift light, injectors, i/c ugprade, ECU, body panels, etc.). If you were to upgrade an 07 Exige S to 08 240S spec you would probably spend almost that much money if you did the work yourself, and prob way more if you had the dealer install it after the fact.

So it's just about what you want. It's the same car. A little more punch. A few more toys. But it's still the same gorgious, frighteningly fast, stuck-to-the-road Exige S underneath. :)

I say get the 07 and use the savings for the exact mods you need and care about (adjustable launch control is cool, but do you really need that given the cost?).

Now...if we could get Cup cars in the States, I might make a different recommendation. :)

·
Registered
817 Posts
I agree with Patricko... If the $10K doesn't mean that much to you, go with the 2008.

·
Registered
749 Posts
True..if money is no object (in this range) then he should spring for it. But I think he may be asking because he's trying to determine the wiser choice of getting new toys vs getting a fairly fresh toy and saving a bundle.

I'll also throw in that I was able to score my S with such low miles and a great price because the previous owner (I was told) bought it, drove it for 900miles, then traded it towards his spot on the pre-purchase list for the 240S.

Good luck for me, good luck for him!

How easy is the 240S to come by right now anyway?

·
Registered
357 Posts
I would opine that if money is a concern then get a used elise. Drive it for a bit and add a supercharger if you need a little more. (I would contend that most don't need more) If however the monetary difference is not important to you then get the 240s, because its just cooler.

·
Registered
807 Posts
i too had the same situation but after the dealer slapped a huge wad of money on the table and discounted the 07, my brain told my heart to shut the hell up.

i've been very very happy with my purchase decision.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Same here. Not once have I thought, "boy I wish I had that 240S". I have though, "darn that thing is cool", but no regrets at all.

Did I mention that I love my Lotus? :nanner: I know all y'all feel the same about your cars....this car just never ceases to blow me away. I've had many cars and been around the enthusiast block a few times...but I've never had my socks knocked off like this before.

So the bottom line: Either way you go you will be very happy and likely not look back at your choice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would opine that if money is a concern then get a used elise. Drive it for a bit and add a supercharger if you need a little more. (I would contend that most don't need more) If however the monetary difference is not important to you then get the 240s, because its just cooler.
I actually own a 2006 CO Elise, and just always wanted the Exige ! Btw - Elise is for sale , check out the Lotus cars for sale !!!! If anyone is interested .

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Same here. Not once have I thought, "boy I wish I had that 240S". I have though, "darn that thing is cool", but no regrets at all.

Did I mention that I love my Lotus? :nanner: I know all y'all feel the same about your cars....this car just never ceases to blow me away. I've had many cars and been around the enthusiast block a few times...but I've never had my socks knocked off like this before.

So the bottom line: Either way you go you will be very happy and likely not look back at your choice.
Is your Exige Chrome orange?

Im trying to make this same decision as well. The 240 is a great car. If money isnt that big of deal. Which the extra 12k i would need to spend. Shouldnt really be spent on a car right now. So im waiting.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts