The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving by my local Lexus dealership and noticed that they have a 1994 S4 on their used lot. I called a salesperson there that I have done business with in the past. He gave me the low down. 1994 Esprit S4...39,500+ miles...asking price is right at $25,900. He was unsure of the service records (obviously a deal killer if they don't have them). I stopped in later (they had closed for the evening) to get a little closer look and it looked pretty clean.

I know about the red clutch line and rusting gas tanks but is there anything else that I should know?

I wouldn't buy anything that is 14 years old without a PPI, is the price right on? After talking to the salesperson for a few minutes on the phone I was left with the impression that the price was pretty negotiable. I am going to try to get in there tomorrow and drive it and take a look at the records (if they exist). Car is red/tan and as I said it looks pretty clean, other than the leather is worn a bit on the driver's bolster.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Given the history of most Esprits, I'd buy it...if I had another $15k for repairs. And anothe $3k per year after.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Buzz,

Don't know how big of a rush you're in but I have a 94 S4 British Racing Green with magnolia interior, 45K miles that is going to be for sale soon in that price range.

It will be the most sorted 4 cyl Esprit that you will ever find. I bought it with the intention of getting it in tip top shape and selling it and have spent the last year going through the entire car and have addressed every possible problem area that is common with these cars as well as a lot of other stuff and the list is way too long to post here. Some hi-lights are: complete engine rebuild from the block up, turbo rebuild, reconditioned fuel tanks, new shocks/springs and suspension bushings, new brake rotors, pads and calipers, new clutch, master cylinder and slave cylinder, new alternator and a/c compressor and drier, all belts and engine bay hoses, etc. etc. I have receipts for over 8K in parts alone.

Working on Esprits is a passion for me and I enjoy it as much as driving my cars. PM or email me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Jim

Here's a pic of the engine bay just after re-installing the engine.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I was driving by my local Lexus dealership and noticed that they have a 1994 S4 on their used lot. I called a salesperson there that I have done business with in the past. He gave me the low down. 1994 Esprit S4...39,500+ miles...asking price is right at $25,900. He was unsure of the service records (obviously a deal killer if they don't have them). I stopped in later (they had closed for the evening) to get a little closer look and it looked pretty clean.

I know about the red clutch line and rusting gas tanks but is there anything else that I should know?

I wouldn't buy anything that is 14 years old without a PPI, is the price right on? After talking to the salesperson for a few minutes on the phone I was left with the impression that the price was pretty negotiable. I am going to try to get in there tomorrow and drive it and take a look at the records (if they exist). Car is red/tan and as I said it looks pretty clean, other than the leather is worn a bit on the driver's bolster.
One thing you can do is call a reputable Lotus dealer and give them the VIN and they should be able to pull up any work history done by any Lotus dealership and then I'd paid to have them do an inspection on it. As far as price is concern, it's about right but if you can knock off a few, go for it. :up;

·
Registered
45 Posts
Buzz,

Don't know how big of a rush you're in but I have a 94 S4 British Racing Green with magnolia interior, 45K miles that is going to be for sale soon in that price range.

It will be the most sorted 4 cyl Esprit that you will ever find. I bought it with the intention of getting it in tip top shape and selling it and have spent the last year going through the entire car and have addressed every possible problem area that is common with these cars as well as a lot of other stuff and the list is way too long to post here. Some hi-lights are: complete engine rebuild from the block up, turbo rebuild, reconditioned fuel tanks, new shocks/springs and suspension bushings, new brake rotors, pads and calipers, new clutch, master cylinder and slave cylinder, new alternator and a/c compressor and drier, all belts and engine bay hoses, etc. etc. I have receipts for over 8K in parts alone.

Working on Esprits is a passion for me and I enjoy it as much as driving my cars. PM or email me if you're interested.

Cheers,
Jim

Here's a pic of the engine bay just after re-installing the engine.

Wow Jim, full credit to you that is one mint looking engine bay :bow:
Congrats.:up:

·
Registered
13 Posts
there is another S4 on a lot and FeEbay for sale as well. Car sold on ebay about 3 weeks ago and now its on a lot for 6K more...guess it didnt sell?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Stock turbo, just had it rebuilt by a local turbo shop and using a Forge Motorsport actuator set to factory specs.

But I like the way you're thinking...:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts